Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 23-10-2007, 16:23   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default [23-10-2007] New transport strategy for Dublin

Quote:
Last Updated: 23/10/2007 16:00
New transport strategy for Dublin
Elaine Edwards

A major public consultation is to take place on the transport needs of the Greater Dublin Area (GDA) from the year 2010-2030, it has been announced.

It is timely that we are now starting to visualise the type of city and region we want for the year 2030, and putting the plans in place that will meet those objectives and take us there
DTO director and chief executive John Henry

The Dublin Transportation Office is to develop a new transport strategy, which will be the successor to the Platform for Change strategy 2000-2016 . That document was the first plan to propose the Luas, Metro and Quality Bus Network for the region.
The new strategy will be published in 2010.
Companies, agencies and groups involved in providing and using transport in the region, as well as the general public throughout Ireland, will be invited to submit views, suggestions and feedback on the transport strategy.
Modelling software will be used to determine the ideal transport network, modes, capacities and frequencies to cater for the levels of demand forecast for the region in 20 years' time, the DTO said today.

DTO director and chief executive John Henry said: "Transport impacts on everyone, and has a direct impact on people's quality of life.
"It is timely that we are now starting to visualise the type of city and region we want for the year 2030, and putting the plans in place that will meet those objectives and take us there."

"We will be involving all the agencies involved in providing transport in the GDA, and will be seeking the involvement of people living and working in the region, as well as people living throughout the rest of Ireland, who visit their capital region for leisure or other reasons."

The new transport strategy for Dublin will take account of all current plans and programmes, including those being provided under Transport 21, and it will outline the phased implementation of the new proposals, the DTO said.
Initial consultation and planning will begin over the next month, and the public element of the consultation will commence in the first half of next year.
© 2007 ireland.com
http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/bre...breaking63.htm

Looks like the DTO trying to justify there existance, given the very first transport plan (1975) still hasn't been implemented, the second one (2000) is really the first one with extra bits and it isn't looking like getting done, why waste time on yet another study that looks good but won't do anything

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 23-10-2007 at 16:29.
Unread 23-10-2007, 16:54   #2
CSL

Because the politicos can tell DTO to stretch the consult and reporting for years, and then point to it and say "we're waiting for that" to avoid having to do anything . It's called 'kicking to touch'
Unread 23-10-2007, 21:45   #3
Derek Wheeler

The idea behind the plan is excellent and very forward thinking. Perhaps its 20years too late but still welcome. I mentioned the idea about a year ago on this forum or boards.ie. Can't remember which.

However the same old problem arises and Mark touched on it. The DTO is powerless. All it can do is devise and recommend. It can't implement. Its a bit like a randy rabbit with no penis. I say that with the greatest respect to the people who work there, including John Henry. But its a fact that we all have to face. Sometimes I feel sorry for John and his staff. I don't always agree with him, but he appears to be someone that does care and tries. Its his Government that lets him down.

We are still waiting on a DTA. Authority is far far different to Office.
Unread 24-10-2007, 09:57   #4
James Shields

This sounds great in theory, but like others I fear it could be used to distract attention, as Transport 21 projects get delayed and pushed further into the future.

But I've thought all along that we must have longer term plans for when (if?) T21 finishes.
Unread 24-10-2007, 16:52   #5
Prof_Vanderjuice

In fairness to the DTO, the original DTI strategy was set up on the assumption that there'd be a review every five or six years (Platform for Change was the first) and this was one of the reasons why the DTO was formed. The idea was that an ongoing process, as against a one-shot strategy, would be more likely to get results. I don't know whether experience has proved or disproved that.
Unread 29-10-2007, 21:27   #6
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Was the Dublin Suburban Rail Strategic Review (2000) published separately or is it the same as Platform for Change?
Unread 30-10-2007, 17:28   #7
Prof_Vanderjuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
Was the Dublin Suburban Rail Strategic Review (2000) published separately or is it the same as Platform for Change?
It was an IÉ document that (just about) preceded PfC, and that the DTO took into account in drawing up their strategy. I'm not sure "published" is the word - I've never been able to get hold of a copy, though I tried IÉ and what was probably then the Department of Public Enterprise at the time it came out.
Unread 30-10-2007, 17:59   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Many have tried no one has succeeded in getting a copy

I have actually seen it
Unread 23-11-2007, 20:17   #9
Prof_Vanderjuice

I see John Henry is going to be addressing the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Transport on the subject of the 2010-2030 strategy next Wednesday:
http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp...8419&&CatID=60, about halfway down.
Closed Thread