Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 22-01-2008, 22:37   #1
Derek Wheeler

Default Article - Dublin informer - Pay Parking

From the Dublin Informer.

http://www.informer.ie

Quote:
PAY PARKING AT RAIL STATIONS – AN UNJUSTIFIABLE RIP-OFF?

By Derek Wheeler

It’s claimed that Ireland is a low tax economy, but you really could be excused for doubting it when you examine the various “hidden taxes” that lurk in the underbelly of Irish society. We may pay a low rate of income tax, but we are penalised for it in many other ways by both the Government and service providers. Just look at the price of fuel. Since 2004 the average price of a litre of diesel has increased by 30 cent. New road tax levies will see huge increases in the cost of taxing many vehicles and we are told that it’s in the interest of the environment. So you may decide that reducing your carbon footprint is the way to go. Public transport is the answer, you say. I’ll save a fortune on fuel costs by driving to my local train station, is the mantra kicking around inside your head. Think again.

Rip-off

The Celtic Tiger is being eaten by the rip-off rattlesnake and it’s having a feeding frenzy at your local railway station car park. Not content with requesting fare increases on an annual basis and benefiting from a Government subsidy, Irish Rail have joined the ranks of car park gods. The days of parking your car and taking the train now comes at a price in excess of your train ticket. Car Park charges are being rolled out across Dublin train stations and the message from Irish Rail is, if you don’t like it, lump it. The average charge is €2 per day or €5 per week. In a recent radio interview Barry Kenny, spokesperson for Irish Rail said that this charge has been introduced to deter non train users from parking in station car parks and is also required to pay for the car park upgrades. A spokesperson for passenger representative group, Rail Users Ireland, rejected Mr. Kenny’s comments.” If Irish Rail was serious about stopping non train users from parking in station car parks, then why don’t they simply introduce barriers that are operated by your rail ticket.” said Thomas Stamp.” Anyway the price is too low to discourage the non rail using motorist. It’s a blatant revenue generating exercise.” he added. Rail Users Ireland has also pointed out that the Department of Transport has a fund for building and upgrading park and ride facilities.

Unsustainable demand

In the long term it’s very hard to see how we can continue sustaining the demand for car parking spaces at our rail stations. CIE Chairman, John Lynch has claimed that better park and ride facilities will prevent cars entering the city. Obviously he is unaware of the huge congestion that is now evolving around many railway stations. We are simply shifting the problem elsewhere. In many cases the local road network is incapable of dealing with it. It could be seen as somewhat bizarre that the head of Irelands national transport company is promoting and encouraging car usage, when the real solution is to provide dedicated local feeder buses that offer commuters a viable alternative for accessing rail services. Furthermore, we shouldn’t be afraid to subsidise these bus services. Subsidy doesn’t have to be a dirty word if it provides a workable solution that improves the quality of people’s lives and negates the need to clog up local roads with cars heading to the train station. Charging for the honour of parking is simply a method to capitalise on people’s dependency. It’s not a solution. It’s a greedy penalty.
Unread 22-01-2008, 22:51   #2
packetswitch

Quote:
The Celtic Tiger is being eaten by the rip-off rattlesnake
I want that on a T-shirt!

(Great article)
Unread 23-01-2008, 08:26   #3
Morgase
New to the board

It's not only Dublin stations unfortunately.

I heard a rumour (so I could be wrong!) that pay parking will be introducted at Greystones and Wicklow in the near future. It has been introduced in Arklow too as far as I know.

It is indeed a blatant money-making tool; the car park in Greystones is far enough away from the town centre that the only people who would park in it are those going to the train station.
Unread 23-01-2008, 10:06   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Gorey is certainly to be charged for

Second car park Greystones is hardly what I'd call full
Unread 23-01-2008, 10:20   #5
Navan Junction
Really Regular Poster

Nor Gormanston. Not even half full
Unread 23-01-2008, 10:21   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Everyone goes to Ballbriggan better service, half the price
Unread 23-01-2008, 10:21   #7
Morgase
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Gorey is certainly to be charged for

Second car park Greystones is hardly what I'd call full
I've never seen Greystones anywhere close to full. That's what I like about it, you can easily get a space. Perhaps it will be even less full from now on!
Unread 23-01-2008, 10:55   #8
Navan Junction
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Everyone goes to Ballbriggan better service, half the price
Aye, but it is still empty
Unread 23-01-2008, 13:32   #9
James Shields

While I agree that charging for parking when people have no choice is just milking a captive market, the flip side is that providing free parking is penalising people who walk or cycle.

I think I would be in favour of charging for parking if the money was used for providing feeder buses.
Unread 23-01-2008, 20:55   #10
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Shields View Post
I think I would be in favour of charging for parking if the money was used for providing feeder buses.
But that would be the fair and sensible thing to do.
Closed Thread