Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Sligo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-07-2009, 06:59   #1
lambo77
Regular Poster

Question Poor service for Sligo line commuters

Commuter services are getting steadily worse on the longford - mullingar - Dublin line. Late trains in the morning and evening to and from Dublin l. Trains not turning up eg 6:05 from Connolly on Tuesday the 6th July. Today the 7:26 arrived about 10 mind late and was a three carriage instead o the usual six. Overcrowding from mullingar. Why are we made pay 2300 for this !!!
lambo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 08:34   #2
cullenswood
Regular Poster

Yeah I was on both these trains. The 18:05 from Connolly came late, and then terminated in Maynooth, where there was an announcement saying another train would be waiting to pick us up. Of course there was no other train and we just had to wait for the 18:18 from Connolly to arrive in Maynooth.

This morning the three carriages on the early morning Sligo - Dublin meant the whole train was packed and extremely warm.

These services are getting steadily worse and hopefulyl this won't continue.
cullenswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-07-2009, 13:02   #3
MOH
Really Regular Poster

Noticed the official stats in Connolly last Sunday, even with the padding and the ten minutes grace punctuality on Sligo line < 90%
MOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 08:19   #4
lambo77
Regular Poster

Default No 5:45 Sligo to Connolly this Morning

Passegers bussed from Mullingar. Any idea why?
lambo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2009, 15:15   #5
jscales1

Default Poor services on the Sligo line

The service is steadly getting worse. I needed to get the train at 1pm to Mullingar today and it didnt arrive in Mullingar until 2:35 disgraceful. I hate to be the passenger on the 1pm ex Sligo they probably did not arrive in Mullingar until 3:15 or later. I have noticed that if one train is delayed at a passing loop all the services for the day are late for the day. Time for some double tracing or more passing loops between Longford and Mullingar so services from the north west are not constantly waiting for ex connolly services
jscales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 09:05   #6
drumcondra commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscales1 View Post
I have noticed that if one train is delayed at a passing loop all the services for the day are late for the day. Time for some double tracing or more passing loops between Longford and Mullingar so services from the north west are not constantly waiting for ex connolly services
and the Maynooth commuter timings get worse as well.
drumcondra commuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 15:26   #7
sean

It's probably got something to do with the Commuter railcar maintenance facility in Drogheda being cut off from the network.
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-09-2009, 17:42   #8
peterh
New to the board

I commute to Longford everyday by rail and also sometimes go to Dublin and the train seems to be stopping constantly this has gotta stop. Why can't the line have 2 tracks all the way between the stations so a train doesn't have to wait for another train to go through at a station but of course that won't happen for God's knows how long
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-09-2009, 19:47   #9
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh View Post
I commute to Longford everyday by rail and also sometimes go to Dublin and the train seems to be stopping constantly this has gotta stop. Why can't the line have 2 tracks all the way between the stations so a train doesn't have to wait for another train to go through at a station but of course that won't happen for God's knows how long
Ideally all railways would be (at least) double track, but that costs money. There are many busier railways with single track.