Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-01-2009, 10:32   #1
drumcondra commuter

Default Annual bus and rail ticket

I have been in possession of an annual bus, commuter rail and Dart ticket for about a week now and since returning to Dublin last weekend, it has not worked once. The machines it is inserted into gives a reading back "Turn Ticket Over". I do and it persists. It does not bother me because the ticket can be waved by the driver or ticket office in any case.

Given that I pay 1190E a year for this ticket, the least you would expect is that it would work from January 1st. My partner has one too and she gets the same reading. Has the ticket not been properly magnetised? Can the magnetic strip really be *that* sensitive to other magnets / mobile phones?

Any hints on what to do next?
drumcondra commuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2009, 10:42   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Who sold you the ticket? Dublin Bus or Irish Rail

If it is a Dublin Bus one (separate ID card) it will not work in the bus validator use the new smart card validator by simply waving the card or indeed your wallet at the yellow box

If its an Irish Rail issued ticket, one with the photo on the ticket, call 01 703 4639

The ticket should work fine, you would want to leave the ticket on something very magnetic to damage it. There has been serious problems with defective tickets in recent years
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2009, 11:05   #3
drumcondra commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Who sold you the ticket? Dublin Bus or Irish Rail

The ticket should work fine, you would want to leave the ticket on something very magnetic to damage it. There has been serious problems with defective tickets in recent years
It is a single ticket and has the Irish Rail logo on it, front and back. I used these a few years back and it was fine for the most part. Will follow up on your suggestion, thanks.
Unread 07-01-2009, 12:47   #4
drumcondra commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post

If its an Irish Rail issued ticket, one with the photo on the ticket, call 01 703 4639
Just called them and without hesitation they said they would replace the ticket in the Travel Centre, Abbey St.
Unread 07-01-2009, 13:04   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumcondra commuter View Post
Just called them and without hesitation they said they would replace the ticket in the Travel Centre, Abbey St.
Which has a big notice in front saying its closed, so how that works we don't know
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abbey_street.jpg (97.1 KB, 416 views)
Unread 07-01-2009, 14:32   #6
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
As Mark said, that's unlikely. However you can have it replaced on the spot at Connolly station information desk or the suburban office in Pearse station (which is a mystery unmarked door off platform 2, ask the turnstile attendant to point it out), or fill in a form that may or may not be available at most booking offices and they'll send a replacement ticket to that station for collection in a week or so.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2009, 15:14   #7
drumcondra commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ralph View Post
...office in Pearse station (which is a mystery unmarked door off platform 2, ask the turnstile attendant to point it out), or fill in a form that may or may not be available at most booking offices and they'll send a replacement ticket to that station for collection in a week or so.
Thanks Mark and Thomas. Harry Potter anyone? Secret offices, mystery platforms, forms to be completed that may or may not exist. What's most puzzling is that both herself and myself were told to call to the office.

Bring. It. On.
Unread 07-01-2009, 15:21   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Might be worthwhile to ring them again and confirm telling them you have seen the notice on Abbey Street

Be interesting to see how this is resolved
Unread 07-01-2009, 15:28   #9
MOH
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Given that I pay 1190E a year for this ticket, the least you would expect is that it would work from January 1st. My partner has one too and she gets the same reading. Has the ticket not been properly magnetised? Can the magnetic strip really be *that* sensitive to other magnets / mobile phones?

Any hints on what to do next?
Happened to the gf at least 4 times last year, explanations given included keeping it too near other cards, possibly a magnetised handbag clasp, and that some people have a strong personal magnetic field. Honestly.
MOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2009, 15:40   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

http://tviv.org/MythBusters/Barrel_o...l-Sking_Wallet

Busted

Of they could just be using the wrong type of ferrous metal in the stripe, that has a massive impact. That said I had trouble with only 1 monthly ticket in 3 years, despite being used up to 4 times a day 6 days a week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magneti...ipe_coercivity
Unread 07-01-2009, 16:24   #11
drumcondra commuter

Bang up to date: Weds 16h25

She got to Connolly and they told her to go to Abbey St. She told them it was closed but they insisted. She walked up to the Travel Centre and she was buzzed in the door and told there that they were dealing with taxsaver ticket queries only - despite the poster that has been photographed. She was issued with a replacement card there and then and told that hopefully "we will not see you again".

However on her way from Maynooth to Connolly, the ticket worked both times. Perhaps they are activating these tickets one at a time??
Unread 07-01-2009, 16:37   #12
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I think a recommendation here is justified

At all costs if getting a combined rail/bus ticket try to get it from Dublin Bus.

They have an office which actually is open and one you have confidence in being open, not some weird operation in Abbey Street

Dublin Bus tickets have the smartcard function so no need to take them out of wallet on bus, saving wear and tear, the old bus readers which Irish Rail issued tickets must use are notorious
Unread 07-01-2009, 18:06   #13
ThomasJ

completely agree! The smart card works wonders! And don't have too many problems with ie stiles once or twice but a second attempt and it works!

Now if ie can get their fingers out!

Ps I second the DB recommendation know people who got it from ie who have problems
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote