Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Waterford
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-08-2006, 19:06   #1
Oisin88

Talking Did Anyone take the wrong train to Waterford This Morning?

At 7:06 this morning as I was rushing down to Platform 7 for my 7:10 train I noticed that the Waterford Train was up on the display for Platform 4 (Sad amn't I?) When I got up to platform 7, there was the Waterford train sitting at Platform 8 as usual, and the station announcer also announced it being on 8.

Was wondering did anyone end up in Westport instead of Waterford this morning as the train on 4 was going there?
Oisin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2006, 20:54   #2
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

It was early, Robodure proabably had a hangover from getting it on with Robochick from the LUAS and Mr Helpful from Eircom Customer Service.

i would hope that the ticket checker at the gate for the Westport train would have spotted tickets for waterford.

Then again..............
Unread 10-08-2006, 21:03   #3
Derek Wheeler

This kind of crap even happens late at night. I posted up an experience I had with the last train to Sallins. Listed as P4, but actually on P7 or 8. All the robodudes said 4, but "real guy, doin last stint on mic" said 7 or 8. (can't remember now, but you get the gist.)

If you want it corrected, then I suggest that the only way to do it, is to shack up in Heuston, with a bucket of paste, a felt tip and some paper.

Alternatively you could write to a paper, complain to IE or just get pissed out of your brains, take your chances and enjoy the ride to wherever.

IE have actually re-invented the mystery train concept. Only problem is, it applies to any ticket.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2006, 21:18   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Try this

Pearse Southbound platfrom 22:20 last night

DART with Howth on front (as in end with headlights on)
Rear says Bray
Platfrom display says Malahide
Train departs northwards

You work it out
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2006, 21:53   #5
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson
Try this

Pearse Southbound platfrom 22:20 last night

DART with Howth on front (as in end with headlights on)
Rear says Bray
Platfrom display says Malahide
Train departs northwards

You work it out
No!

Its too feckin late and doesn't surprise me.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 07:33   #6
MrX
Really Regular Poster

It's typical of CIE though. I remember "the good old days" in Cork when you'd have 4 identical red and white double decker clapped out busses at the station in parnell place and you had to guess which one went to Carriagaline etc due to the fact that Bus Eireann failed to see any need to put a sign up or use the roller-displays.

If you asked the driver does this bus go to Carrigaline you'd get a sarcastic response like you were a bit stupid and didn't know.

I've boarded a DART in the wrong direction twice in Pearse Station and had to get off at Tara Street and come back and I'm not a confused tourist, not hard of hearing, no difficulty seeing etc. The train was on the "wrong" platform and there was no info given until AFTER it departed and the doors were closed.

I also remember boarding a Galway train thinking it was going to Cork in Heuston!!! At the time, no signs, no displays, ticket checker clearly didn't look at my ticket. I only figured out it was the wrong train because I overheard a conversation between two ladies in the seat ahead of me who were mentioning going to some hairdresser in Eyre Square and clearly had Galwegian accents!!

It's utterly ridiculous. IE simply don't understand why anyone would want to know where any train goes. They assume that every passenger has access to a train radio, the signalling system and is fully aware of exactly how they operate their trains and the subtle differences between a south-bound and north-bound Dart.

The only way forward on this, since CIE are clearly incapable of sorting it out, is with the stick rather than the carrot approach. CIE should be fined for errors like this and should be open to regular random inspection / complaints proceedure.

It flies in the face of disability / equal access legislation. State funding, EU funding and tax payers money in general went into paying for these systems. The very least IE could do is turn the damn things on properly!

It's utterly unacceptable to get this kind of basic stuff wrong and it's very unfair on those who can't see/hear or or unfamiliar with the system.

There simply is no excuse.
MrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2006, 17:26   #7
Oisin88

Lots of people accidentally take Galway/Mayo bound trains and have to be taxied from Tullamore to Portlaoise!
Oisin88 is offline   Reply With Quote