Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-03-2007, 22:17   #1
Derek Wheeler

Default NEW TRAINS!

This poor category has lay vacant too long.

Passengers on this line will be getting new trains after the Sligo line gets them....apparently. But I have a theory. I reckon IE might try and shaft this line, so they can use IC railcars on the WRC and lift the existing 29000s for Dublin commuter runs.

The Rosslare line could be the on going haunt of the MK2. (thats the train with slam doors and windows you cant open) again.

Despite my smilies, would anyone rule it out?
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2007, 22:23   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Come on Derek we can tell everyone of the extra afternoon train to Gorey that you won't find in the timetable, its claim to fame, it doesn't stop in Bray
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2007, 23:33   #3
sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Wheeler View Post

Passengers on this line will be getting new trains after the Sligo line gets them....apparently. But I have a theory. I reckon IE might try and shaft this line, so they can use IC railcars on the WRC and lift the existing 29000s for Dublin commuter runs.

The Rosslare line could be the on going haunt of the MK2. (thats the train with slam doors and windows you cant open) again.

Despite my smilies, would anyone rule it out?
I wouldn't rule it out either. What with the two premier Intercity services, Cork and Belfast, being made a complete shambles by their coach sets, it's only a matter of time before someone with responsibility for either goes fishing for IC railcars to back them up. Rosslare would probably be the (first) loser.

The Mk2d have only a short lifespan left. Back at the end of 2005, some of them like the Sligo bunch, were not life expired contrary to IEs claims, but the rest of them were pretty much finished and a year hanging around Heuston and NI probably hasn't done ours any good either. So they're not going to Rosslare (Rosslare had Mk2ds before but those not scrapped have been in Heuston for much longer and Heuston doesn't exactly have the Midas touch when it comes to Mk2ds).

Rosslare will possibly get stuck with 29ks. If IE needs 29ks for Dublin service, they could very well get them from Longford by replacing those with Mk3 P/Ps
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 00:11   #4
packetswitch

I'm in two minds over whether I'd prefer the old MK2s or not. I mean, if we're not getting our proper Intercity railcars, I'd rather the old ones, as they are relatively comfortable but the politicians and the locals will lobby against them. If we continue with the 29000s, certain people will be contented enough (cause the trains look 'newer') but if we go back to slamdoors, the County Councils will raise blue murder and we'll get our trains! Machiavellian but as Mark said earlier, you have to understand how this country works...

I think the Rosslare line is very neglected in the debate..it always gets towards the bottom of IÉ press releases, everyone assumes that because it's single-track in certain bits, it's beyond salvation and vague promises of 'more trains' will keep the poor Wickla people happy.

Given the level of development in Wicklow and Wexford, a couple of extra stations could certainly be considered, if the relevant councils were to plan ahead.
packetswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 00:49   #5
sean

That wouldn't happen seeing as the Mk3s are going as well and they're in much better shape than the slam-door coaches, most of which are past-it at this point.

IE wants to get rid of all their pull-only trains but if they were going to pawn some off on Rosslare, it would be those that got sent over.

BTW are you a user of the Rosslare line? We need more Southeastern rail user's voices around here.

Last edited by sean : 12-03-2007 at 00:51. Reason: fix typo
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 09:37   #6
James Shields

The only locos that can pull the Mk3 push pulls at the moment are the 201s, which weigh something like 120 tons and tear up the track something terrible. There are a number of places they can't go, including Sligo (I don't know about Roslare).

The pull-only version wouldn't be a problem, though.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 19:09   #7
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

071s could use the mk3pp in pull only mode, right? Just means running around in Sligo.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-09-2007, 07:18   #8
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Exclamation Dublin Rosslare

I heard the Rosslare line will be getting these new 22000 InterCity in April of 2008 or even December'08.Does anyone else feel that the Rosslare services should be terminated at Connolly Station,Only Gorey services should go behond Connolly. I have to say the new Railcars look very impressive and 23m long. I've seen the inside of the 22000 very bright i have to say.If anybody wants to look at the new trains the website address is www.irishtrainphotos.fotopic.net The seats look comforable and clean. Can i ask what will the catering facilites onboard be like because if there is going to be 3 cars X2 will there be 2 catering facilites for each set. Yes or No. I hope the 06:00 Gorey Sligo service gets one as it deserves at least this. The timetable from Gorey to Dublin needs some serious help. If i miss the 08.50 the next train is 14.10 and 14.50 then 18.50 this is to much a gap. What about a 11am and a 13.10 lunchtime and a 17.10 late afternoon service. What is your view on this..

Last edited by KSW : 18-09-2007 at 18:24.
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-09-2007, 08:23   #9
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

With reference to message no 20 above, where did you get the idea that T21 envisaged hourly off-peak and twoce-hourly at peak? As you say this is simply way beyond the capacity of the line. To the best of my knowledge there was never such a plan (with good reason).

As fer as I can recall the plan is to have 5 trains eventually to Rosslare, plus 2 or 3 as far as Gorey.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-09-2007, 09:59   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The timetable as we understand it is that there will be an hourly service at peak and then a train every 2 hours as far as Gorey with a possibilty of 5 trains operating south of Gorey to either Wexford or Rosslare. At the moment out of Dublin if it wasn't for the shortage of railcars there would be 16:40, 17:30 and 18:35 departures today

Sligo line manages fine with a single track with a lot more trains

All services starting or terminating in Gorey will be operated by suburban railcars, services operating further will be Intercity railcars

The bulk of the problems with the Rosslare line are physical due to the hills and curves which are mostly north of Gorey. Cost to fix is in the hundreds of millions

Given a new station is being built in Rosslare at the moment the future of the line is quite secure

The hold is on the resignalling which is generally tied in with platform extensions will be Easter next year at the latest.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-09-2007, 10:47   #11
Edward Ryan
Regular Poster

Is there any extra services planned in the December timetable?
The current timetable as far too many gaps in it. Miss the 0850 Gorey Dublin and your next service is not till 1410 then 1450 followed by another large gap till 1850.
Edward Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-09-2007, 16:28   #12
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

ACustomer,

here is were I got the idea:

http://www.platform11.org/campaigns/...php#greystones

Do you mean 2 or 3 as far as Gorey on top of the five envisaged for Rosslare?
If so,is that each way?

If that is the case you are talking about five trains each way to Rosslare and 7 or 8 trains each way to Gorey.

Last edited by paddyb180285 : 18-09-2007 at 16:32.
paddyb180285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-09-2007, 13:35   #13
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post

Sligo line manages fine with a single track with a lot more trains
But Mark, the sligo line doesn't have DART's running off a single track surely this will effect the operation of the Rosslare/Gorey line in future.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-12-2007, 00:58   #14
Pierce
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Wheeler View Post

Passengers on this line will be getting new trains after the Sligo line gets them....apparently.
Before I go, I knew Irish Rail would'nt keep their word. After the Sligo line ya right
Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-12-2007, 13:56   #15
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce View Post
I knew Irish Rail would'nt keep their word.
When it comes to the Rosslare line NO. Why I just cannnot see why they should connect the line with Fishguard via London and other destinations, Calling the line Europort. Then when your on the new 22k train boarding at Connolly, You hear "Good Afternoon, Welcome onboard Iarnrod Eireann - Euroroute 13:05 serving Bray, Greystones, Wicklow, Rathdrum, Arklow, Gorey, Enniscorthy, Wexford, Rosslare Strand & Rosslare Europort connecting with Stena Line to fishguard, Please use baggage spaces provided. Have a pleasant and comforable journey" Would'nt this be more InterCity type standard..........?
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote