This thread is here to enable the providing of information about services on the Western Rail Corridor, that is from Ennis to Athenry, with services operating from Galway to Limerick and connections to other services.
Users are welcome to post information that will be useful to users or to ask questions about services
Attached is a map with the route added to a corrected Irish Rail intercity map.
- What is it? The Western Rail Corridor is a railway from Limerick to Sligo. However, this thread only deals with the section from Ennis to Athenry.
- Where is it? In Clare and Galway, from Athenry to Ennis.
- What stations will it served? The services will operate from Galway to Limerick serving Galway, Athenry, Craughwell, Ardrahan, Gort, Ennis, Sixmilebridge and Limerick. Stations at Oranmore and Crusheen may open later.
- What are the fares - see the attached image.
- What connections are available? Connections to other services are available at Galway, Athenry (to Athlone and Dublin) and Limerick (to Limerick Junction and the south of the country).
- What times are the trains? Timetables are included in the next post.
- Where are the stations?
* Galway - Eyre Square, eastern corner. No public car park, but parking nearby.
* Athenry - Station Road, between Church Street and Tuam Road, Athenry between railway bridges, approximately 250m from town centre. 200 parking spaces.
* Craughwell - Possibly on laneway at railway bridge on Ardrahan Road (R347). 62 parking spaces.
* Ardrahan - From slip road on (N18) 200-300m north of Ardrahan or from Kinvarra Road (R347) 500m west of Ardrahan. 53 parking spaces.
* Gort - On lane way, between railway bridge and bridge over Gort River, on Georges Street (N18) - approximately 500m from centre of village. 72 parking spaces.
* Ennis Station Road (R469 - Quin Road) - west of railway bridge approximately 1km from centre of town.
* Sixmilebridge - Afterbury (railway) Bridge, Shannon Road (R471), approximately 600m from centre of village. 83 parking spaces.
* Limerick - Parnell Street at Roches Street, 300m from city centre. 250+ parking spaces.
- Where can I find out more? Below are some useful links.