Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Luas Customer Service Issues > Luas Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 16-09-2009, 14:24   #1
MOH
Really Regular Poster

Default Bus/Luas collision on O'Connell St

Gf just rang to say there's been a collision between a Luas and a 16 bus at Abbey St/O'Connell St. Ambulance and fire brigade at the scene.

Nothing on breaking news sites yet, but expect delays.
MOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-09-2009, 14:26   #2
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOH View Post
Gf just rang to say there's been a collision between a Luas and a 16 bus at Abbey St/O'Connell St. Ambulance and fire brigade at the scene.

Nothing on breaking news sites yet, but expect delays.
Was just on RTE tv news there.

Looks like all traffic stopped on O'Connell St.

EDIT: Link to a pic, looks bad
http://www.flickr.com/photos/darragh/3926211414/

Last edited by Mark Hennessy : 16-09-2009 at 14:34.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-09-2009, 14:39   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showth...ewpost&t=10510

On the twitter site already
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-09-2009, 14:50   #4
Mark

http://twitpic.com/hxljd/full

http://www.fabianowski.de/luas.jpg

Right in the kisser...

Last edited by Mark : 16-09-2009 at 15:38.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-09-2009, 14:55   #5
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

I'm a bit unsure about the photo orientation there.

Would the driver have been at the end of the LUAS that got hit?
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-09-2009, 15:08   #6
igy
New to the board

Yep, the driver's end went into the bus first

Hard to tell if the bus ran a red, or the luas ran a signal. Someone was moving that shouldn't have been though...
igy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-09-2009, 15:15   #7
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
I'm a bit unsure about the photo orientation there.

Would the driver have been at the end of the LUAS that got hit?
nah i think its the top

Edit: it was, Breaking news saying the tram driver had to be cut from the wreckage
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-09-2009, 17:11   #8
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Default Garda Witness Appeal

http://www.garda.ie/PressReleases/Default.aspx
Quote:
Witness Appeal - Luas/Bus Crash on O'Connell Street, Dublin on the 16/9/09.

Anyone who was in the area of O’Connell Street Lower and Abbey Street junction between 2.50 p.m. and 3.15 p.m.

Gardai are appealing for witnesses to collision on O’Connell Street Lower, between a Luas tram and a Dublin Bus about 3.00 p.m. on the 16th of September, to contact them.

They would like to speak to anyone who was in the area of O’Connell Street Lower and Abbey Street junction between 2.50 p.m. and 3.15 p.m.

Gardai also believe that a number of passengers of the bus and the Luas may have left the scene before emergency services arrived and we would like them to contact us.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact Store Street Garda station on 01 666 8000.

Garda Press Office
17th September 2009.
Unread 17-09-2009, 21:59   #9
center15

A friend of mine was there when the accident happened. She said it was very scary with people shouting for help. She said a special branch Garda car was going down the street the wrong way and a bus was pulling in to let it pass and the luas struct it. Another person on boards said they heard this story from someone by the GPO also.
center15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-09-2009, 01:30   #10
on the move
Regular Poster

My own theory on it is. The bus driver had the green light, but then got stuck in traffic on the far side, by which time the traffic lights were red, and allowed the Luas to go. The Luas then smashed into the bus.

The whole accident at a notorious flashpoint junction, is an eerie reminder of why we should have had a Metro system, or at the very least a bridge crossing the street for the trams, similiar to the train bridge nearby. You wouldn't see trains attempting to cross streets full of other vehicles in a city centre, so trams shouldn't be allowed either. Instead you have an "Irish" solution, and it leaves the tram a sitting duck without a bridge or barriers as protection for crossing the busiest street in the city. It is solely down to the goodwill and discipline of other transport users that there haven't been more serious incidents on it so far.

Last edited by on the move : 20-09-2009 at 01:33.
on the move is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-09-2009, 01:37   #11
undo

While I agree the Abbey St/O'Connell St junction is rather unfortunate and dangerous, I do think your theory fits the accident: The tram was clearly derailed, its front dragged on quite a distance in the direction of traffic on O'Connell St. IMHO, that can only have happened with the bus moving at considerable speed - and not suck in traffic.
undo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-09-2009, 10:29   #12
Kilocharlie

Default Irish Solution?

On the move refers to the tram system as an 'Irish solution'. If one were to visit any European city with trams - Amsterdam, Vienna and many more, one would see that the Dublin Luas is actually built to a higher standard with far more seqregation from traffic. Trams crossing main routes is common place; Luas is nothing different. Trams even go through pedestrian zones!

In Vienna, trams run down the middle of some streets and the stops are simply in the middle of the street; no platforms. Traffic is expected to stop while passengers disembark and make their way to the footpath. In other areas, trams share road space with traffic; this only happens is a very few places on Luas - Beresfort Place and Thomas Street. Also many of the older trams around Europe are totally non-wheelchair accessible unlike Luas which is excellent in this regard.

It is also clear the both bus and tram were moving at speed so there is no possibility that the bus was stuck in traffic.
Kilocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-09-2009, 20:46   #13
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat controller View Post
thomas j what sort of idiot are you first you say the luas tried to swerve out of the way of the bus now you have eyewitness's telling you the luas jumped a red light you must be a bus driver cos they never jump red light's, by the way the luas run on a different set of signal's! think next time!
Hold on a sec i was merely suggesting what could have happened i admitted it was a stupid thing to say.

With regards to luas being at fault the only reason i mentioned that was because i know someone who was there and says the traffic light was at green at the time and also that someone on boards mentioned that their brother was on the bike just ahead of the bus and the light was green.
i wasnt there im just saying what i was told. Maybe it could have been a problem with the luas signalling im sure we will find out.

Noones perfect. Attack the post not the poster.

Last edited by ThomasJ : 17-09-2009 at 11:32.
Unread 16-09-2009, 20:53   #14
undo

It could have been so many things - even a signal misfunction (green for the bus, go-ahead for the luas) or a brake failure or, or, or... No point in speculating right now. And certainly no point in attacking anyone!

Edit: As for the current situation, if I am interpreting the pixelated webcam image correctly, there should be a crane on site right now. A friend just headed over to check whether they are actually lifting the luas off the tracks.

Last edited by undo : 16-09-2009 at 21:00.
Unread 17-09-2009, 04:29   #15
undo

From http://www.luas.ie/page.php?name=Dis..._Red_Line_Luas:

Quote:
RED LINE SERVICE ----------- Thursday September 17 2009

The Luas Red Line is operating this morning between Tallaght and Smithfield stops only.

Luas tickets are valid on Dublin Bus.

We apologise to Luas Passengers for any inconvenience.

Should you wish to speak with a member of Customer Care please contact Luas Free phone 1800 300 604.

Information is also available from AA Roadwatch.

Thank you,

Luas Customer Care
Unread 17-09-2009, 09:58   #16
markpb

A number of people on boards.ie have mentioned that passengers inside the tram could not open the doors after the crash. I'm assuming they had enough sense to use the manual release instead of the button (you never know) and still had no luck.

Surely the area around the doors wouldn't be reinforced enough to stop the doors compressing in a crash? I doubt the Luas was moving at much speed so the impact-damage should have been fairly minimal.
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-09-2009, 10:42   #17
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

All the doors on the Luas where open when I saw the tram

The problem lies in people assuming the doors will open when the emergency handle is pulled, you still need to push the doors and pull them apart as per the notice next to the handle

The structural integrity of the passenger area was uncompromised, no sign of any distortion which would have restricted the doors opening
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-09-2009, 15:02   #18
fat controller
New to the board

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
Hold on a sec i was merely suggesting what could have happened i admitted it was a stupid thing to say.

With regards to luas being at fault the only reason i mentioned that was because i know someone who was there and says the traffic light was at green at the time and also that someone on boards mentioned that their brother was on the bike just ahead of the bus and the light was green.
i wasnt there im just saying what i was told. Maybe it could have been a problem with the luas signalling im sure we will find out.

Noones perfect. Attack the post not the poster.
ok sorry im just saying wait until all the fact's are out!
fat controller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-09-2009, 15:10   #19
ThomasJ

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat controller View Post
ok sorry im just saying wait until all the fact's are out!
Thanks personally i thought i jumped the gun as did alot of people on the forums yesterday! It will be interesting to see what happens. There was a mention in the paper today that a teenage girl is still in a critical state in hospital. Hopefully everyone will be ok.

Last edited by ThomasJ : 17-09-2009 at 15:12.