Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-05-2008, 10:41   #1
Edward Ryan
Regular Poster

Thumbs down Signaling Failure on Rosslare Line 01/05/08 & 02/05/08

Yesterday evenings 17:25 Dublin-Enniscorthy was delayed 45min at Rathdrum due to a signals failure. This had a knock on effect to the 17:40 Rosslare-Drogheda train which was held at Arklow for almost an hour to let the 17:25 pass. No doubt this also caused delay to the 18:37 Dublin-Rosslare train.

This morning proved no better as I arrived at Gorey just before 06:30 to catch the 06:45 service. The 06:00 to Dublin was only departing as was the 05:58 to Rosslare. The 06:45 service departed Gorey at 07:15. So much for the new signals

Ed

Last edited by Edward Ryan : 02-05-2008 at 10:46.
Edward Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2008, 14:13   #2
shweeney
Regular Poster

i got the delayed 0600 train from Greystones @ 0725 (was planning to get the 0730 Dart). This arrived in Connolly at 0810 - so 45 minutes Greystones->Connolly with 6 stops in between, just shows what can be done when they put the foot down!
shweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2008, 19:28   #3
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Ryan View Post
Yesterday evenings 17:25 Dublin-Enniscorthy was delayed 45min at Rathdrum due to a signals failure. This had a knock on effect to the 17:40 Rosslare-Drogheda train which was held at Arklow for almost an hour to let the 17:25 pass. No doubt this also caused delay to the 18:37 Dublin-Rosslare train.

This morning proved no better as I arrived at Gorey just before 06:30 to catch the 06:45 service. The 06:00 to Dublin was only departing as was the 05:58 to Rosslare. The 06:45 service departed Gorey at 07:15. So much for the new signals

Ed
Pity about that but it is new after all
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 17:26   #4
Edward Ryan
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSW View Post
Pity about that but it is new after all
New equipment should not fail like this. This system has had enough time to have any gremlins sorted out. After a long day at work last thing you need is a long delay on the commute home.

Ed
Unread 03-05-2008, 19:32   #5
JamesK
New to the board

Today (Saturday), the 11.35 ex Connolly for Gorey and the 13.05 ex Connolly for Rosslare Harbour passed through Wicklow on time. However, the 13.00 ex Rosslare Harbour was c. 15 minutes late passing through Kilcoole while the 14.48 ex Gorey due Kilcoole 15.42 had not reached there by 16.00. I presume that these delays relate to difficulties with the new signaling system and yes, it does seem most unfortunate that these are arising.
JamesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 20:40   #6
Edward Ryan
Regular Poster

It seems that there was a fault in the Gorey area today affecting afternoon trains. According to what I read on another board some services were up to 1hour late.

Ed
Unread 04-05-2008, 07:35   #7
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
13.00 ex Rosslare Harbour was c. 15 minutes late 14.48 ex Gorey due Kilcoole 15.42 had not reached there by 16.00.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Ryan View Post
It seems that there was a fault in the Gorey area today affecting afternoon trains. According to what I read on another board some services were up to 1hour late.
I hope they fix this flippin problem, Its looking like a bad start. You hear delays on the northern line due to "signalling problems" I hope this will not be the case for the Rosslare/Gorey trains..........
Unread 05-05-2008, 12:31   #8
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

There wouldn't have been a signalling problem had the semaphores still been there. you can't rely on computer systems. manual signalling should have been been maintained on this line.
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 17:09   #9
sean

You can usually trust these "computer systems." This is most likely teething troubles. Maintaining mechanical signalling where everyone else is getting rid of theirs, why?
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 18:00   #10
ThomasJ

You are bang on sean these things need time to sort out teething problems. Im sure you remember the first few days the sligo signalling began and the faults at edgeworthstown a few mornings in a row resulting in chaos for longford and maynooth passengers
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 20:30   #11
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean View Post
You can usually trust these "computer systems." This is most likely teething troubles. Maintaining mechanical signalling where everyone else is getting rid of theirs, why?
Who cares what other countries are doing with their railways.In my opinion mechanical signalling is still a perfectly effective form of signalling today and always will be.
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 22:11   #12
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimity View Post
Who cares what other countries are doing with their railways.In my opinion mechanical signalling is still a perfectly effective form of signalling today and always will be.
I am 100% against you, The new signalling will all work out besides they look good along the route
Unread 06-05-2008, 19:40   #13
Oisin88

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean View Post
The usual "problem" with computer systems is when their human masters use them improperly
Unread 06-05-2008, 19:52   #14
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Tralee, Waterford, Galway and Westport have all been flawless on the new system.

You do get the odd glitch but the safety provided under the new system is well beyond even the most modern mechanical system
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2008, 20:40   #15
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Thumbs down

Properly designed and implemented vital safety equipment should not have teething problems.
ever.
Especially when it is not a novel procedure for irish rail to change the signaling system.

Computers involved in running these systems should not crash.
When is the last time the computer running the braking system in a car crashed? which is the level of service you should expect.
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2008, 22:39   #16
zag
Regular Poster

Default Teething trouble with safety systems ?

I agree with Colm - safety equipment should not have teething troubles.

Taking the attitude that "ah, sure, it's grand because the other safety mechanisms will kick in" is all well and good until the other safety mechanisms also fail.

I am no engineer, but I would have thought that signalling systems were reasonably straight forward to program - there are only so many possible
states/paths that can exist and need to be catered for.

z
zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2008, 08:26   #17
Laois Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimity View Post
Apart from the fact it is hugely expensive to maintain and operate, limits services as any extension of the operating day requires a commensurate increase in signal operators on shift, the visibility of signals is poorer than modern colour lights in most conditions, and safety overall is improved with modern signalling, I agree with you

LC
Laois Commuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2008, 10:24   #18
ccos

Quote:
There wouldn't have been a signalling problem had the semaphores still been there. you can't rely on computer systems. manual signalling should have been been maintained on this line.
This would be true for Hornby Railways
ccos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2008, 11:00   #19
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The system doesn't just change lights from red to green its exceptionally complicated, say the red light bulb fails an alarm goes off, but there is a second filament in the bulb so it stays lit.

The system is fail safe if anything goes wrong the signals go to red in the effected location.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-12-2008, 17:57   #20
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Default 07.26 Connolly Rosslare

Just to say todays 07.26 service from Connolly to Rosslare was delayed 40-60+ mins today as a result of signaling failure.

The train left Connolly from Drogheda at 07:28 and was on time the whole lenght to Wicklow. The signal was red for almost 30mins then the train left for rathdrum at 09.15 it arrived at Rathdrum at 09.26 where the train stood for another 10mins due to the signals been orange they were stuck on orange from Wicklow the whole lenght to Arklow. The train arrived at Arklow at 09.55 and finally Gorey 10.10. 50mins delay time total.

Problem was to me the 08.50 from Gorey had arrived in Arklow at im guessing 09.05 and was stuck there for about 50mins until the train I was travelling on arrived.

Coming back from Gorey on the 13.00 ex Rosslare the train yet again had to wait until 14.40 which arrived in at Arklow 14.22 but this train was speeding its way to Dublin. The train from Bray to Dun laoghaire took just 13mins then to Blackrock 5mins then lansdowne Rd 5mins so to me the level crossings at Sandymount and syndey parade can br closed before the Rosslare train approches not this train type I read on another forum.

But I do have to say coming from Dublin the train driver did keep us informed from Wicklow the whole way and apologised for the delay...