Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-12-2007, 23:59   #1
poolergirl
New to the board

Default Car Parking

I would appreciate it if someone could provide me with the following info: is there is now car parking at Gorey, Greystones and Bray Stations and if so i) is there a charge? ii) approx how many spaces are there? and iii) does it fill up in the mornings and if so at what time?

I tried a search and couldn't find anything.
poolergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 00:27   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

All are free (well they are currently)

Bray 77 spaces and fills beyond capacity

Greystones has two car parks, one has 56 space at the station (on the seaward side access off La Touche Rd) and that fills up quickly and the other is 462 spaces at the south end of the town but is a walk, spaces in the second car park not a issue

Gorey no info on current size but IE have indicated extra 150 spaces to be provided, when provided they will be charged for at €2 day/€5 week

It terms of practicality and frequency of service not to mention spaces (well in the second car park) Greystones is the better option, Gorey only has 2 trains in and 2 trains out at peak hour, last being 18:35
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 00:49   #3
KSW
Really Regular Poster

There is little spaces at Gorey espically when there is only one way in and out. There was two entrances but with the new Shopping Center literally across the road it would have been tricky getting in/out. But the first train 06:00 Gorey-Sligo you will get a car park space.The 06:45 Gorey-Dundalk it starts to fill up, But really after that its the luck of the draw The last like Mark said train is the 18:35 from Connolly to Rosslare which is not late lets be honest something like 19:15/19:30 would have be better. If you can stick the Dart stopping at every station I admire you [ ha ha ].
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 11:41   #4
Edward Ryan
Regular Poster

A new car park at Arklow station opened last week in the former goods yard area. It is a pay and display car park. Not sure of the price.

Ed
Edward Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 15:09   #5
poolergirl
New to the board

Thanks for all the info. I am from Wexford and working in Dublin city centre and living in Dublin West (bought a house last year). My work is moving to Ballsbridge, so I am looking at travel options. I currently drive to work but it looks like there will be no parking in the new building. I would have to get 2 buses from my house (or one and walk) to work in Ballsbridge and it looks like 1.5 - 2 hour trip to work and probably longer back. Therefore I am looking to see if commuting from my home county is an option, possibly relocating to Castlebridge or Wexford town. I am sussing out whether the new service from Rosslare at 05:35 through Wexford or driving part of the way and then getting the train are runners.
Unread 05-12-2007, 15:33   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

From next week

The early train from Wexford will get to Lansdowne Rd for 8:38 its normally there to within 5 minutes of time, rare to be more than 5 minutes out

Evening there is a train at 17:38 Lansdowne to Enniscourty, change and another train onwards to Rosslare, otherwise its get a DART to Pearse or Dun Loaghaire for the 18:35 Connolly Rosslare

If you are going to stick it out for the long haul a annual ticket is worth it, be sure to ask your employer if they issue them through the taxsavers scheme

We can't recommend such a long commute, its not advisable, the further out the fewer trains there are
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 20:36   #7
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolergirl View Post
I am sussing out whether the new service from Rosslare at 05:35 through Wexford or driving part of the way and then getting the train are runners.
Just one thing is there parking at Wexford Station? Wexford to Dublin 2hr30mins then travelling futher to BallsBridge...

Last edited by KSW : 06-12-2007 at 21:31.
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 21:56   #8
poolergirl
New to the board

No there isn't parking at Wexford Station - it is on the Redmond Square (Dunnes Stores) roundabout, that will be a big problem with regard to people using the service and why I was asking about the parking situation in Gorey.

No, my reasons for thinking of moving back are not money based (but reasons for keeping the Dublin job are!). I have lived in Dublin for over 15 years now on and off since college and a lot of friends have started moving back to Wexford or elsewhere or have always been in Wexford. Also my parents and family live in and around the town and further south (that is why I would prefer to live closer to Wexford than Gorey). I might be able to arrange something with work, to work from home one day a week or something, not sure though, but I could keep my eyes open for other jobs nearer by.
Unread 06-12-2007, 19:58   #9
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolergirl View Post
living in Dublin West (bought a house last year).
You don't say where, but you could consider either tram / train to Heuston / Connoly and then DART / bus to Ballsbridge or you might be able to get an Xpresso bus, many of which go to Waterloo Road and on to UCD.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/xpresso.asp
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2007, 21:03   #10
poolergirl
New to the board

Victor, thanks for the response. I live just to the west of Clondalkin village which is at least a 25 minute walk from both the Luas and the train station. If I wait until 2012 I will be near the Metro West! I get the Xpresso bus from time to time to Baggot Street it generally takes about an hour and a half to there (the earliest one gets me in a half hour after I am supposed to be in work). Whatever way I calculate it I am looking at approx. 2 hours to work and probably more back.

Last edited by poolergirl : 06-12-2007 at 21:12.
Unread 07-12-2007, 15:35   #11
shweeney
Regular Poster

you'll be waiting a lot later than 2012 for the MetroWest I'd say...

Greystones park and ride is only 5 minutes walk from the station and once the new interchange on the N11 opens (later this month apparently) will be very accessible from the N11. Even given the infrequency of trains from Greystones I'd say this is your best option.

But you'll be spending 4 hours+ a day commuting and spending a fortune on petrol (which is only going to get more expensive). I'd maybe look at buying somewhere in Wicklow or finding a job in Wexford.
shweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2007, 23:17   #12
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

How about the 151 from Nangor Road / New Nangor Road, it starts an hour before the Xpresso buses. At that hour, I susepct if moves reasonably fast.

151 0610 From Adamstown Station to Docklands Station http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey...ectedRoute=151

51b 0615 From Grangecastle to Aston Quay

25x 0710 From Adamstown Station to Belfield

/me waits to be beaten for promoting buses.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2007, 00:35   #13
Derek Wheeler

Try very very very very hard to find a job locally!

No matter what way you permutate this commute, it's bound to be ugly.

That said, I feel for you being a victim of horrendous planning. And if its any consolation, we haven't learned from our mistakes.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote