Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 24-09-2011, 11:59   #1
lukejr
New to the board

Default Nail Painting / Varnish

Does CIE have a policy to stop ladies (and gents) from painting their finger and toe nails on the trains? Due to the confined unventilated nature of trains this shouldn't be allowed.

Airlines have a policy on this, and I have seen them tell people to stop it on flights.

I have often experience nail painting on Irish trains often, always by ladies and normally the person gets very annoyed with me when I ask them to stop - most ignore me.
lukejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-09-2011, 18:58   #2
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

closest I can see is S.19

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1984/en/si/0109.html
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-09-2011, 19:26   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Could only be 19

So it is illegal to carry anything with you that is
Quote:
any inflammable, explosive or corrosive gas, spirit, liquid, substance, or matter, or any article or thing which is or may become dangerous to any person or property.
However its fine if its for personal use and suitably contained.

The trains are fully ventilated, its not so long ago smoking was allowed. It more an issue of a growing portion of the population having no respect to those around them, be it doing make up on the train (fun to watch when it goes wrong), or listening to something not worthy of the title music turned up way to loud.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-09-2011, 19:51   #4
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
17. No person shall at any time while upon the railway or in any vehicle use any threatening, abusive, obscene, or offensive language or behave in a riotous, disorderly, indecent or offensive manner, or write, draw or affix any abusive, obscene or offensive word, representation, or character upon, or wilfully soil or defile, the railway or any lift or vehicle, or molest or wilfully interfere with the comfort or convenience of any passenger or person in or upon the railway or in any vehicle.
Quote:
18. (1) No person shall take or cause to be taken on to or into, or cause or allow to remain upon or in, the railway or any lift or vehicle, if requested not to do so by an authorised person, any animal, bird, article or thing which by reason of its nature, dimensions, weight or for any other reason whatsoever is in the opinion of such authorised person likely to cause or in fact does cause annoyance or injury to any passenger or damage to any property or an obstruction in any lift or in any corridor or gangway of any vehicle.
Most people are put out be such smells.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 24-09-2011 at 19:53.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-09-2011, 15:49   #5
drumcondra commuter

Some have too much time on their hands.
drumcondra commuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-09-2011, 23:33   #6
JayneM
New to the board

@drumcondra_commuter I agree.

@Mark Gleeson while I agree with the sentiment that a "growing portion of the population [have] no respect to those around them" I hardly think putting on make-up is the worst offence. While I personally find putting on the full face on the train in the morning a little bit lazy (get up earlier!) and maybe even a little gross I have come across far more antisocial behaviour. I certainly find nothing wrong with women touching up though, this is not the 1890s!
JayneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-09-2011, 23:39   #7
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayneM View Post
I hardly think putting on make-up is the worst offence.
Nail varnish, as a smell, is rather obnoxious to most people.

While they may giggle or roll their eyes, nobody is overly objecting to someone putting on concealer or the like.
Unread 30-09-2011, 13:28   #8
drumcondra commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore View Post
Nail varnish, as a smell, is rather obnoxious to most people.

While they may giggle or roll their eyes, nobody is overly objecting to someone putting on concealer or the like.
I have sat next to people with worse body odour than varnish odour. It's called public transport for a reason.
drumcondra commuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 16:45   #9
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Our office manager just sent out a reminder of our firm's no scent policy. Needless to say it's rare to be as quite in close quarters in an office as it can be on some public transport services.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote