Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Galway - Limerick - Waterford - Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-12-2011, 21:51   #1
2200DMU
Regular Poster

Default Loads on Limerick Junction - Waterford Line

Just wondered does anyone know what the loads tend to be like on the route. Today I was on the 08.55 from Limerick Junction on arrival into Waterford there was between 60-70 passengers on it. About 40 got on in Carric on Suir. Is this normal?

Never thaught I would see the day there would be standing room only on the service.

Last edited by 2200DMU : 03-12-2011 at 21:56.
2200DMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 12:44   #2
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

I get the impression that loads are about 150 per day. Yesterday would have marked the start of the Christmas shopping, certainly Dublin seemed busy.
Unread 04-12-2011, 15:12   #3
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

I seem to remember some chat that Clonmel-Limerick Junction was going to be upgraded to auto level crossings so that routine Sunday operation without crossing staff would be possible. Is that still the plan?
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 15:18   #4
Jamie2k9

Can't see them having the money to do it now and if they did they would not spend it on that line, Waterford line was due to have all auto level crossings but that has not happoned yet..

Was told that every auto crossing costs in the region of 1 million euro is this true, find it hard to beleave its that much.

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 04-12-2011 at 15:20.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 19:18   #5
James Howard

Even if is a million to do a crossing, there is still a relatively short payback time. To operate a manual level-crossing on a 24/7 basis would probably cost a couple of hundred grand a year.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 20:01   #6
dowlingm

250K was the number a few years back, but crossing operators don't get paid much from what I recall, payback nearer to 8-10 years or more excluding any extra operating costs of a CCTV LC over a manual.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 20:39   #7
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
I seem to remember some chat that Clonmel-Limerick Junction was going to be upgraded to auto level crossings so that routine Sunday operation without crossing staff would be possible. Is that still the plan?
7 day operation is perfectly possibly by employing an extra person for each 6 level crossings. That person then provides relief operation to each of the gate keepers on specific days.

Level crossing 1 - Monday
Level crossing 2 - Tueday
Level crossing 3 - Wednesday
Level crossing 4 - Thursday
Level crossing 5 - Friday
Level crossing 6 - Saturday

3-4 additional staff would be required.
Unread 05-12-2011, 08:31   #8
finnyus

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2200DMU View Post
Just wondered does anyone know what the loads tend to be like on the route. Today I was on the 08.55 from Limerick Junction on arrival into Waterford there was between 60-70 passengers on it. About 40 got on in Carric on Suir. Is this normal?

Never thaught I would see the day there would be standing room only on the service.
I was one of the 40+ who boarded the 0855 at Carrick-on-Suir. I was shocked to see the amount of ppl on it, but the week before was the same. I came back on the 1140 Waterford - Limerick Junction. There were 5 ppl on board, my brother and I, another passenger, the driver and the ticket seller. There was no scheduled connection from the 09.10(?) Heuston - Waterford, as there were delays due to the engineering works between Kilkenny and Muine Bheag. 2 got out at Carrick and 2 got on.

There is currently one automatic half-barrier level crossing on the line, at Ballydine, between Clonmel and Carrick. This is currently being converted into a 4-barrier level crossing, more than likely controlled from either Carrick or Clonmel. There is also works happening at Fiddown level crossing, the nature of, I am not sure.

F.
finnyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 07:14   #9
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnyus View Post
I came back on the 1140 Waterford - Limerick Junction. There were 5 ppl on board

That is still alot more than the Nenagh line gets. I only see 2 people getting on in Colbert most days.

I must take a journey to Clonmel by train one day. It's €33 a ticket though from the machine :/ €29 at the booking office. I might just buy a single and get the bus home to Thurles.

With a regular dmu commuter service lets say from Templemore-Thurles-Limerick Junction-Tipperary-Cahir-Clonmel-Carrick on Suir, passenger numbers would increase. Even a link with Waterford would be possible.
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 15:54   #10
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

I don't see the point in upgrading the level crossings on a lightly used line. It would be a waste of money. These are not the Celtic Tiger years. Some lines will remain with manual level crossings and semaphore signalling which is perfectly adequate for lightly used lines. FACT. Rant over.
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 18:23   #11
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

One can only imagine what would happen if this line had a decent service and was actively marketed ?
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 18:34   #12
finnyus

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniskeen View Post
One can only imagine what would happen if this line had a decent service and was actively marketed ?
And includes Limerick as a destination, as well as offering connections at Limerick Junction and Waterford.
finnyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 19:28   #13
James Howard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimity View Post
I don't see the point in upgrading the level crossings on a lightly used line. It would be a waste of money. These are not the Celtic Tiger years. Some lines will remain with manual level crossings and semaphore signalling which is perfectly adequate for lightly used lines. FACT. Rant over.
I would think that automating crossings and signalling is the best way that Irish Rail can spend money right now given that it takes so much cost out of operating the line.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 20:33   #14
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Signaling upgrades can be done relatively easily. Looks like Waterford West is for the chop which helps on the costs. The automation of Limerick Junction last year again saves more. There is still a budget for more level crossing automation and Limerick - Waterford is on the list

Numbers will never be amazing on the route but there is scope relatively easily to improve matters, direct services to Limerick clearly ranks as the simplest and cheapest alternative.

The tall ships visit has done wonders for local perceptions of the service.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote