Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-12-2009, 23:05   #1
halo 2
New to the board

Default Lost Luggage

Hi,

I recently accidently left a gym bag on a Howth bound DART. When I asked in Howth station I was told they didn't have it and was informed that all bags were either kept in the station they were found or delivered to lost luggage in Pearse. I went to Pearse station and enquired there but was shown two bags and told they were the only two bags they had. I was then given the number of Fairview and told I could ring them to enquire. I did this and was told they only had plastic bags or an umbrella.

Now I don't know if this is really the situation or if the employees were just anxious to get rid of me but does anyone else find it odd that the entire Dublin DART + Commuter network only produced 2 items of luggage? Now I don't know how long they hold stuff for but I would assume several weeks and considering the amount of trains packed with commuters for 18 hours of the day 7 days a week would produce considerable amounts of lost luggage.

So I was wondering what actually happens to lost luggage on the DART. Do I really have to ring up all 30+ stations in the hope that one of them has my bag Or is there another central location for lost luggage that I haven't been told about. Or should I forget about finding the bag as it seems to me their isn't really much of a lost luggage policy in place.

halo 2.
halo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 23:33   #2
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

I imagine they are meant to keep it for 3 months.

I suspect a lot would "disappear" into the hands of less scrupulous passengers.
Unread 07-12-2009, 08:21   #3
DangerM
Regular Poster

A friend of mine left her bag on an inbound train from Leixlip and was sent from one station to the next when trying to locate it. It eventually turned up at the Lost & Found in Pearse station a good few days later. They insisted on opening it up while she was on the phone to verify it was hers and went through her belongings asking her to name them off before they would allow her to come in and collect it.
DangerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 09:04   #4
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

Default I've given up on Lost Luggage

In five years of commuting, I have left two jackets, three phone chargers and too many flasks to count on the train.

I don't even bother asking any more. I have no idea what anybody would want with 10 year-old *******ed jackets but for whatever reason nothing ever turns up. Perhaps IE just bin stuff they think is unlikely to be claimed. I just take a bit more care now when packing up.

But I left a briefcase on a DART about 15 years ago and got a phone call 20 minutes later (number was on a business card in it) from Blackrock DART station.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 09:18   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

If you know you have left something behind, talk to the ticket clerk at the station you got off at and then moves can be made to get the item and send it back by train

Falling that contact the destination station, then the either the DART office, the Southern and Western Heuston or Northern and Eastern Connolly.

Just remember in most European countries they blow up lost luggage
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 11:50   #6
chris
Regular Poster

I left a suitcase behind on the Enterprise when we were unexpectedly put off the train at Dundalk to wait on a train being sent down by NIR. By the time I remembered, the train had returned empty towards Drogheda.

Since this was the night of the Skerries derailment, I wasn't sure whether the train had made it back to Connolly, or only only gone to Drogheda, so I didn't mind ringing both. Connolly were very insistent they didn't have it. Drogheda denied the train's existence. Finally I got someone from Dundalk to ring up Connolly, and they confirmed the case was there. Got it back the next day, even involving a change at Portadown
chris is offline   Reply With Quote