Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 24-12-2005, 15:39   #1
TomB

Default Moved threads

Hi all,
I moved two threads in this forum to infrastructure board -- I would ask people to try and keep this forum for customer services issues only -- too much technical stuff and new people can get put off (I know I do...)

Do have a look at http://forum.platform11.org/showthread.php?t=47 for clarification about the different boards.

If you think differently please PM me or any of the other committee members.

Thanks, and happy Christmas...
Unread 28-12-2005, 12:56   #2
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

All,

could you please try to keep threads relative to a section. Unless the thread has something do with customer service it should NOT be in the customer service issues section. If you are a member and wish to dicuss something that doesn't really fit into any sections, use the "members discussion" board. That is what it is there for.

Currently I have been moving threads in the worng sections. If the volume of threads in the wrong section increases, I am just going to delete them.

Please try to post in the appropriate sections.

Cheers,

Paul
Unread 31-12-2005, 15:31   #3
Kildare Commuter
New to the board

Hi,

I think that it is a bit rich for Moderators to provide this message board and then proceed to move threads to a 'pay only' section of the site.

If a registered user wished to post for general interest, this should be allowed or a topic area should be provided.

Regards,

Kildare Commuter
Unread 31-12-2005, 15:47   #4
philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildare Commuter
I think that it is a bit rich for Moderators to provide this message board and then proceed to move threads to a 'pay only' section of the site.
Hi Kildare Commuter, the thing I'd ask you to bear in mind is that the provision of the messageboard doesn't come at zero cost, It does cost money and we don't have any advertising on here (like you'll see on boards.ie and so forth) to cover it so members subscriptions are used.
Unread 31-12-2005, 19:08   #5
sean

One of the problems I have with the new approach is what happens when threads wander?

Like the "questions" thread, started by non-member "mark_h" with basic questions, like would IC trains use the the Interconnector, are any of the new coaches in service and what kind of seating would we expect to have on the Metro

and perhaps a very important question for "newbies" why build more DART lines?

That thread then wandered into a discussion of loading gauges, track gauges, signalling, power supplies, CIE unions, procurement particulars etc. At which point mark_h's basic questions thread was moved to a members forum.

IMO there should be a policy for threads started by non-members - either they conform to rules and stay on topic - or get locked. But preferably not moved.
Unread 31-12-2005, 20:04   #6
philip

Sean's idea isn't that bad but does the software allow a copy/split then lock. What I mean is copy the thread to the members section and lock the 'offending' thread in the non-members area?

At least this way the members who get drawn into a discussion that has gone OT can continue it in the members area.
Unread 31-12-2005, 20:21   #7
bigjim

It should do, I'm involved in another vBulletin board and they split and merge threads all the time
Closed Thread