Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 30-08-2006, 15:18   #1
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Default DAA Announce Airport Plans

Does anyone know for sure where the Metro stop will be then?

Quote:
New airport terminal to cost over €395 million
By David Labanyi and Luke Cassidy Last updated: 30-08-06, 16:02

Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) this afternoon unveiled plans for a new €395m terminal in the State's busiest airport.

Construction of the second terminal (T2) is due to begin next year and is expected to be completed in the Autumn of 2009.

According to the DAA, T2 will raise capacity at the airport to a potential 35 million passengers per year.

The design of T2 is a 75,000 square metre, three-storey, curvilinear building of around that sits astride the main access road to Terminal One. The DAA said that the fact that the building sits astride the road means that traffic for the existing passenger terminal will pass under this link on its way to the other terminal.

DAA chairman Gary McGann said T2 would "provide a cost effective solution to Dublin Airport's current capacity deficit" adding that the new terminal is "an elegant and contemporary gateway for 21st century Ireland,".

The total cost of the new infrastructure, which includes a new pier building (Pier E) and a new internal road network stands at just over €600m. Locations for a future Metro station and a ground transportation centre are also provided in the development plan.

The Cabinet is expected to agree to the expansion of the airport to cater for a projected doubling of passenger numbers over the next couple of years. The issue was at the top of the agenda for the first Cabinet meeting since the summer recess.

Planning permission for the terminal and Pier E, will be lodged later this week with Fingal County Council.

The expansion is seen as necessary as passenger numbers at the airport continue to grow. About 20 million passengers are expected to use Dublin this year. Passenger numbers at the airport had grown by 15 per cent this July, compared with the previous year.

The DAA's plan to build a second runway at the airport will be discussed at an oral hearing An Bord Pleanála next month.

The An Bord Pleanála hearing into appeals against the decision of Fingal County Council to grant permission for a second runway will be heard on September 26th.

The council is expected to strongly defend its decision.

© 2006 ireland.com
Unread 30-08-2006, 16:28   #2
Mark

Hey Mark, the underground option was overwhelmingly the favourite by all parties. Only the shortfall in funding to be sorted out.

The combined bus and rail interchange shall be located roughly where the exit to the short term car park is.

http://www.dublinairport.com/images/terminal2.jpg
Unread 30-08-2006, 18:59   #3
wwhyte
New to the board

Pier E is the new one on the far side? What a disaster. They really need to find some way to make check-in closer to the gates. It's not like it's O'Hare or Schiphol. There has to be a way to get more road frontage. I suggest a huge glass box in front of the old terminal.
Unread 30-08-2006, 19:07   #4
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

The problem with Pier E on the far side is that the old 1940s terminal is in the way between the existing terminal and pier E. It's a listed building so they have to leave it alone.

Incidentally (and ignoring the new terminal 2) the piers (counting from left to right when facing out towards the airside) will be C, B, A and E. Maybe someone should buy the DAA a child's ABC book so they can re-label the piers in a logical way.
Unread 31-08-2006, 08:37   #5
al2637

From today's Irish Times:

Quote:
There was little clarity yesterday on whether a metro station would go directly into the new terminal. While Minister for Transport Martin Cullen said he wanted to see rail and aviation transport integrated, it is understood there is no agreement yet on who will fund any metro stations at the airport. One station will be required at each terminal.
One station will be required at each terminal???
Unread 31-08-2006, 08:41   #6
Gobdaw

Isn't there a listed building located in the proposed footprint of T2? Its the original house you pass going to the existing terminals.
Unread 31-08-2006, 08:51   #7
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2637
One station will be required at each terminal???
I would kind of like that though I have no idea how necessary it would be. Better than having to haul your luggage for ages. I think it would depend on the distance of each terminal.
Unread 31-08-2006, 09:07   #8
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

I think one station would be sufficient if it could be built roughly equidistant from both of the terminals.
After that underground access to travellators() would surely be cheaper to build?
Unread 31-08-2006, 09:26   #9
philip

2 stations is total overkill for an airport as small as DUB (even post T2!). I'd say it's BS to be honest. Manchester Airport station is a decent distance from the terminals but is perfectly usable. I'd hate to see metro become a slow ride into town for regular commuters in Swords just to serve DUB internally!
Unread 31-08-2006, 10:05   #10
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip
2 stations is total overkill for an airport as small as DUB (even post T2!). I'd say it's BS to be honest. Manchester Airport station is a decent distance from the terminals but is perfectly usable. I'd hate to see metro become a slow ride into town for regular commuters in Swords just to serve DUB internally!
How far is T2 going to be from T1? If it can be equi-distant from the metro I would be fine with it unless equi-distant is 8 miles. Yes, we could use... travellators (Sideshow Bob-esque shudder at using that word).
Unread 31-08-2006, 10:14   #11
philip

Even if they stick the metro station under T2, it's not that far to walk, yes, that would assume the <philip places hand over mouth> travellator goes into the bridge linking T1 to T2. It would remind me very much of Cologne-Bonn airport in that scenario actually. The old terminal sits just beside the new one and the railway station is beneath the new one. Works fine though and I've only ever flown into the old T1 over there. Linky (note that T2 is not shown on that old photograph!).
Unread 31-08-2006, 10:35   #12
Mark

The plan for metro in Dublin airport is in the same place its always been. Its part of a larger Ground Transportation Centre development. There shall be walkways to both Terminals.
Unread 31-08-2006, 10:52   #13
al2637

Looks to me like they are connected via the existing Pier C.

More images:
http://www.dublinairportauthority.co...e_gallery.html
Unread 02-09-2006, 15:06   #14
PeterOB
New to the board

Anyone notice in the rendering above that the air corp appear to have acquired at least two if not three A330s. Clearly our faithful policiticians will be well served by our own Air Force 1, 2 and 3!
Closed Thread