Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Up To Date Travel Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 15-01-2010, 09:20   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default [15-1-2010] Northern Line Services

Major delays starting with 07:12 Drogheda Bray 40 minutes late

7:13 Dundalk Bray also 40 minutes late

Irish Rail as usual are saying nothing
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-01-2010, 09:33   #2
Padna
Regular Poster

According to the driver's announcements on the 0700 Dundalk-Connolly, the 0712 Drogheda-Bray train got stuck for a while in Rush & Lusk due to "a problem with the doors". The 0700 from Dundalk arrived in Connolly at 0856 (scheduled to arrive at 0828).
Padna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-01-2010, 18:47   #3
Rashers
Really Regular Poster

Default I was on it

To be fair, during the entire delay the driver kept making announcements, which was great to see, as normally that does not happen.
However, after about 10/15 mins, he announced that he could not fix the doors, and we would have to await the arrival of a maintenance team. Now the last time that happened, ironically at the same station, we had to wait a further 40 minutes, which was very frustrating at the time. This time the delay was less.
But here was my issue:
If after 10 minutes, he could not fix the problem, why not declare the train a failure, and run it empty to Connolly? There were already 2 services blocked directly behind it, and the one directly behind it only runs to Connolly, and is subject to light loadings (i.e. not sardines!). They could have easily offloaded the passengers, as the train was at the platform, and ran the service behind it through to Bray in it's place. At least the delay would have only been 15-20 minutes, plus the usual crawl from Malahide to Connolly. Instead thousands of Northern line users were delayed getting into work/college/etc.
Does anyone know why Irish Rail could not have taken this approach?
Rashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-01-2010, 21:03   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I put this down to a lack of staff training. I witnessed a door failure in Tara Street on Friday evening, it took ages to sort out despite the process being extremely simple and a second member of staff being present

There is a mechanical lock in the top of one of the door leafs, turn that and another electric switch behind the door control panel and bingo, door out of service light comes on and door is secure. Safety reasons dictate you cannot have a leading or end door within a set locked out.

If the door physically won't close the train is immobilised until it can be sorted, the 7:12 is a 2800 set which has a weakness in a bracket which works loose which means the doors won't close until the bolts are tightened
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote