Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Rail Users Ireland Canteen
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-09-2006, 18:56   #1
Derek Wheeler

Default The political Bordello

Whatever about Harney hanging up the boots at the PDs, how about this for an act solicitation.

Greens will not rule out any party coalition

07 September 2006 19:35
The leader of the Green Party, Trevor Sargent, has said his party will not be ruling out coalition with any party ahead of a General Election.

The party is meeting for a second day in Co Wicklow to consider its strategies for the forthcoming election campaign.

Speaking on RTÉ Radio, Mr Sargent said that most Green Party supporters were opposed to the current Fianna Fáil-led Government.

But although he refused to rule out participation in a future Fianna Fáil-led government, he said most people, not just his party members, are looking for change.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2006, 22:55   #2
James Shields

I find it very hard to imagine a FF/Green coalition, but I do think it's the smart strategy for any party.

I think FG+Labour are shooting themselves in the foot by teaming up before the election. There's no doubt there's a big gulf between them in terms of policy, so they'll have to hack together some sort of joint policy document that will make the hard line supporters of both parties unhappy. At the same time, marginal supporters of both parties may be turned away by the aspects of the other party that they find objectoinable.

There is an argument that they'll benefit from transfers, but I don't think that will be enough to offset what they will lose.

The same thing happened to the "Rainbow" coalition a few years back.

I think their best strategy would be to keep their options open until after the election. That way, both parties can run a strong campaign based on their best policies with no compromise. They appeal to broadly different sections of the electorate, so they can both work their strengths to best effect. Then, after the election, they can look at the numbers and decide if a coalition is viable.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2006, 23:57   #3
Derek Wheeler

As this is the canteen, I would like to state that the fact that, FF are the biggest Political Party in the state, but cannot manage a majority at an election, This is very alarming. On the basis of transport issues, I believe that FF could be torn asunder in some areas, if independent transport issue candidates came forward.

The 60 odd % of the electortae who actually care, (and bother to vote) are very divided. What Ive been wondering for years, is how the 40%, who couldn't care less about voting, actually feel.
Unread 08-09-2006, 15:36   #4
Maynooth_Line
Regular Poster

Quote:
What Ive been wondering for years, is how the 40%, who couldn't care less about voting, actually feel.
If they don't vote politicians don't care how they feel; and really you can't blame the politicians for that. They have the same opportunity to vote as everyone else but they don't want to so they can't complain in my opinion.

Another thing, 40% of the electorate don't vote - how many others are there that are eligible to vote but have never registered?
Maynooth_Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2006, 23:44   #5
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynooth_Line
If they don't vote politicians don't care how they feel; and really you can't blame the politicians for that. They have the same opportunity to vote as everyone else but they don't want to so they can't complain in my opinion.

Another thing, 40% of the electorate don't vote - how many others are there that are eligible to vote but have never registered?
I share those sentiments. So really it presents a case of an "undiscovered country". Complacency and disinterest among the eligible electorate, is perhaps doing more harm than good.