Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 21-04-2010, 17:01   #1
haddockman
Regular Poster

Default Can you get refunds from IE for unused return portions of tickets?

I bought a 1 month return from Gorey to Dublin on Monday as I was going to the UK on the ferry and returning yesterday. Last night the Ferry to Dun Laoirghre was late arriving and I missed the Rosslare train by 7 minutes. As there are no trains south of Greystones after 1856 I was left with no choice but go into town and get the bus to Gorey at a cost of €15.50 single.

Can I get a refund under the circumstances?
haddockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-04-2010, 17:16   #2
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

You can get refunds. There are specific refund forms (different one if train is delayed). www.irishrail.ie/upload/refunds.pdf

http://www.irishrail.ie/home/terms_and_conditions.asp
Quote:
Changes and cancellations

Passengers wishing to travel on the same day, but on an alternative train other than the time shown on their ticket, can do so provided seats are available, by paying a surcharge. The surcharge of up to €40 should be paid at the booking office before boarding the train. If a booking office is not open the surcharge must be paid on board the train. All tickets are only valid for travel on the dates printed on the ticket.

Travelling on an invalid ticket will result in a fine of €100.

To cancel a reservation call the Iarnród Éireann Travel Centre on 1850 366 222 (00 353 1 8366222) . Opening hours are 08.30 - 18.00 Monday to Friday and 09.00 - 18.00 Saturday or alternatively, outside opening hours, email info@irishrail.ie. Change and Cancellation charges apply. Cancellation requests made after the dates printed on the ticket cannot be facilitated. Bookings that have not been cancelled prior to the expiry date on the ticket are not eligible for refund.

In order to qualify for a refund, cancelled tickets must be submitted to Iarnród Éireann within 28 days of the expiry date as printed on the ticket. Cancelled tickets should be submitted to Iarnród Éireann Travel Centre, 35 Lower Abbey Street, Dublin 1

The following refund rules apply:

* Cancelled up to the day before travel - 80% refund on the ticket price.
* Cancelled on the day of travel - 50% refund on the ticket price.
* All cancellations must be made before the time of travel to be considered eligible for refund.
* Tickets must be presented for cancellation.
* No refund on card fees.
Unread 21-04-2010, 17:25   #3
haddockman
Regular Poster

I don't see how any of those situations apply as it was an open monthly return valid on any train until 18th May bought from the ticket office in Gorey at a cost of €23.00.

The reason I ask is I won't be in any need to the Dublin-Rosslare train for the foreseeable future.
Unread 21-04-2010, 17:39   #4
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

If I am reading it correctly. Assuming you apply promptly, you should be able to get 80% of the difference between the single and return fares.
Unread 21-04-2010, 18:27   #5
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Get a refund form from any staffed station, fill it in, and send it with the ticket to the address on the form. You won't get much though; the refund is calculated on the difference between the single and return fares which is around €6 and there'll be an administration fee.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-04-2010, 19:07   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Normally no refund is available, the Rosslare service was on time so IE have complied with their part of the deal.

The form you need http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_in...ket_refund.pdf

They are viewed on a case by case basis but the amount you get won't be significant
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-04-2010, 19:30   #7
haddockman
Regular Poster

I won't bother so. I shall put this one down to the volcano.