Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Up To Date Travel Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 21-09-2006, 21:50   #1
Rashers
Really Regular Poster

Default [21-9-2006] Extreme Weather Conditions - DART services disrupted

Don't know what time this got posted at...also on RTE website

Travel Alerts
Weather alert - Southside DART, and Heuston Intercity services disrupted by Corporate Communications

Thursday 21st September: This evening's high winds are affecting southside DART and Heuston Intercity services this evening.

High winds have caused overhead lines to be damaged, and the DART service is suspended between Dun Laoghaire and Bray. Dublin Bus are honouring rail tickets to areas affected, and substitute buses are operating as well. Services will not resume this evening

South of Kildare, a tree has fallen on the line. One line has been cleared, but there are significant delays to late evening Intercity services to and from Heuston in each direction of up to an hour.
Unread 21-09-2006, 22:01   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I was on the 21:59 Malahide Bray

It terminated Dun Laoghaire

The driver was informed by radio telephone when the train left Sandymount, no PA was made. I left the train at Seapoint

There should have been a PA at Blackrock so passengers can get the 45 to Bray or 8 to Dalkey

That 10 minutes warning means a lot to getting a taxi, friend to pick you up

Quote:
Weather alert - Southside DART, and Heuston Intercity services disrupted by Corporate Communications

Thursday 21st September: This evening's high winds are affecting southside DART and Heuston Intercity services this evening.

High winds have caused overhead lines to be damaged, and the DART service is suspended between Dun Laoghaire and Bray. Dublin Bus are honouring rail tickets to areas affected, and substitute buses are operating as well. Services will not resume this evening

South of Kildare, a tree has fallen on the line. One line has been cleared, but there are significant delays to late evening Intercity services to and from Heuston in each direction of up to an hour.
Unread 21-09-2006, 22:26   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Interestingly the 22:22 Pearse Dundalk left Pearse at 22:35

The 21:50 Maynooth Pearse was running upwards of 15 minutes late
Unread 21-09-2006, 23:15   #4
ThomasJ

Interestingly enough was standing at castleknock station between 9.45 and 11.00 the 10.12 still hadn't showed up
Unread 22-09-2006, 19:29   #5
Maynooth_Line
Regular Poster

I was in Connolly waiting on the 22:36 Maynooth train last night. At about 22:38 an announcement was made to say the train was suspended due to a tree on the track just past Clonsilla. There would be further info in 15 mins.

I decided to head off for a bus as I could wait 15 mins and the train still mightn't run. Just as I was coming up from the underpass under the tracks another announcement was made saying the train would now run as far as Clonsilla with an update about further out en-route.

Decided to wait but for some reason it didn't show up for ages. The Dundalk train and a DART went through. It finally showed around 22:55. As it was approaching the platform they announced that the tree was cleared so the train would run to Maynooth.

I should add that when I was coming up to the ticket checker before half 10 I noticed on the display screen for commuter trains that the current location of the Maynooth train was the yard just beyond Pearse so it wasn't late arriving from Maynooth.
Unread 22-09-2006, 19:51   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The 22:30 ex Pearse starts from the sidings it there with plently of time to spare

The Dundalk train was held at Pearse with a red signal for quite a while only leaving after 22:35, there was a DART behind him

There was a PA In Pearse but with 8 coaches of 29000 next to me I couldn't understand it

With trees most times all you need is to get two men out to lift it out, normally a big branch. Best policy is to operate as normal, tell the pasengers and see if it can be resolved before the train reeches the spot or else get Dublin Bus to pick you up which given the Ryder Cup there are plenty of buses available locally

Each train should have a saw, some rope and a ladder thats basic kit on train you would be amazed at what can be achieved with a bit of grunt. I've heard of a UK incident bogged down in snow faced with a tree with no chance of help driver and train manager set to work problem solved

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 22-09-2006 at 19:54.
Closed Thread