Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 19-02-2012, 15:16   #1
Dubhaltach
New to the board

Default New Signage, Colour Scheme

By the looks of it new station signage, made to match the 22k sets and Heuston Station are starting to roll out. The sign's on the lamp-posts in Carlow and Athy are currently of the new type, with white on blue writing. It's a shame, I'll miss the orange on white, and also the colours on these are very flat, unlike in the 22k which have shades of green and grey aswell.

Any news on when the full rollout is to happen?

I would try to upload a picture but it's always dark by the time I pass through
Dubhaltach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-02-2012, 16:03   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

They will likely have to withdraw the blue signs as they don't comply with relevant legislation
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-02-2012, 22:53   #3
2200DMU
Regular Poster

TBH its a complete wast of money making new signs when there is nothing wrong with the old ones.
2200DMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-02-2012, 09:19   #4
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

I notice that the ones in Heuston are just plastic laminates over the existing metal signs. They probably don't actually cost that much, although this has the disadvantage that some are already starting to peel.

Still, by the time it's been rolled out across the network, it could be pricey enough.

You'd think with the old signs still perfectly readable and with a very limited Capex budget, that money would have been better spent on either safety or speed improvements.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-02-2012, 11:37   #5
drumcondra commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
They will likely have to withdraw the blue signs as they don't comply with relevant legislation
WTF?
drumcondra commuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-02-2012, 17:03   #6
m3parkway
New to the board

Even Broombridge has the blue signs. You have to laugh at the fact only 1 sign was made for each platform and they are 15 foot up the street lamps to prevent graffiti. Still at least they are starting to make an effort with the station, all the metal fences were painted, Broombridge has never looked so good - despite the ashes from bonfires on the tarmac platform.
m3parkway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-02-2012, 17:48   #7
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3parkway View Post
Even Broombridge has the blue signs. You have to laugh at the fact only 1 sign was made for each platform and they are 15 foot up the street lamps to prevent graffiti. Still at least they are starting to make an effort with the station, all the metal fences were painted, Broombridge has never looked so good - despite the ashes from bonfires on the tarmac platform.
Yep, navan road parkway was first to get the new signs as part of its renaming process from phoenix park. Most stations on the maynooth line have got them now as part of the revamped process but clonsilla is still being worked on.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-02-2012, 19:30   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The blue signs at Navan Road Parkway comply fully, the signs elsewhere don't
Unread 20-02-2012, 20:58   #9
m3parkway
New to the board

Do the signs not comply since the Irish place name text is too small.
m3parkway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-02-2012, 00:22   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

More the italics

Dublin City Council had to replace massive number of brand new signs recently for the same reason

Basic stuff and clearly someone wasn't paying attention
Unread 21-02-2012, 07:40   #11
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

No wonder the country is complete screwed.

1. The mistake shouldn't have been made in the first place - this isn't complicated.
2. Having made the mistake, they should have just lived with it. This doesn't affect functionality.
3. Why even bother changing them in the first place - it isn't as if there aren't better things to be spending money on.

Irish rail seem to like fiddling with signage. All of the mileposts were replaced on the Sligo line fairly recently. This has to have costs tens of thousands and I really fail to see how there could have been any benefit to anybody.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-02-2012, 17:29   #12
Dubhaltach
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
More the italics

Dublin City Council had to replace massive number of brand new signs recently for the same reason

Basic stuff and clearly someone wasn't paying attention
What was wrong, was it that there were none at all? I hadn't looked the closest at them but I did find them hard to read.

Either way, I hope they don't stick with the blue. They're not as sleek, or as readable as the white and orange. Also orange has permeated the branding much more, such as the orange 'Mc Donagh Station' all round Kilkenny. And they're not old, there are brand new orange signs in Kilkenny when they closed off the reversing loop (Not very foresighted for steam tours) and closed the footbridge. Murine Bheag is new enough too.
Dubhaltach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-02-2012, 17:56   #13
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
2. Having made the mistake, they should have just lived with it. This doesn't affect functionality.
Much as though I want to agree with this, the cowboy nature of so many things in Ireland makes me resist it. Look at how the likes of Jim Mansfield built stuff in a "throw it up and apply for retention basis" and where that attitude has got us now.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote