Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Luas Customer Service Issues > Luas Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-05-2012, 11:10   #1
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford
Default Security around the Heuston LUAS stop

The last few times I've used this stop, there seems to be more and more anti-social, if not actually criminal behaviour going on.

It seems to be a regular occurence for there to be people there trying to sell you a 'valid' ticket. Begging is just common place.

But yesterday, I got to see one of the characters there taking it to a different level where he tried to 'help' an elderly lady buy her ticket. This seemed to extend to wanting to punch in her PIN code on the keypad. She was clearly frightened and trying not to upset him, while wanting to keep her card and her PIN to herself. Eventually, against my better judgement, I had to intervene.

So, who is responsible for security here? Is it the gardai as it is a public place? Or does the Heuston security extend out this far?

I actually want to report what happened yesterday, but don't even know who to go to.

Also, has Rail Users Ireland ever thought about trying to campaign for some kind of Transport Police (or even just extending the remit of the Garda Traffic Corps to public transport)? It seems to be something we could do with.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 11:38   #2
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

gardai and heuston rail security - who also do Luas - regularly patrol there. The Heuston stop is getting bad again though.

yes we have looked for it, part of our submission to gov every election, and its in our policy document

Quote:

2. Security

Security is a particular problem on the Irish Rail network. Anti-social behaviour remains one
of the most unpleasant aspects of rail travel in Ireland. Abuse of alcohol and drugs is commonplace
and incidents of begging, fare evasion, uncontrolled children, and vandalism all
serve to make journeys more uncomfortable. Rather than address these issues, Irish Rail has
exacerbated the situation by recent moves towards unstaffed or part-time stations on many
routes. Irish Rail has hired a security firm to address these issues but the response that RUI
has had from passengers is that these security staff serve to intimidate passengers more than
to give a sense of security.
Luas stops are also unstaffed but it is unusual for passengers to have to wait longer than 10
minutes for a tram so the unsettling effect of unsocial behaviour on the Luas system is lessened.
Nevertheless, RUI remains baffled by the fact that Veolia has not attempted to address
the continued levels of anti-social behaviour at the Abbey Street and Jervis stops.

2.1 RUI Security Policy proposals

• RUI support a dedicated Transport Police unit that is there to serve the public, rather than a rail operator.
Seek a updating and tightening of bye-law regulations and greater enforcement ofthese regulations.
Support a common sense zero tolerance policy to fare evasion.
apologies for rubbish pasting effort from the policy document.
Unread 01-05-2012, 12:38   #3
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

SVT which provide security in Heuston tend to be at the stop a lot and then Luas also employ SVT to work trans at night. I would take it up with Luas and mabye even Irish Rail but it is more of a concern for Luas.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 12:46   #4
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

Took my nephew to Dublin one time 2010 and we were getting the Luas outside Heuston. Buying my ticket this skanger/chav came up. He went over and held my nephew down and searched his pockets i turned around and he was already running off i thought he was just talking to him. Nephew told me what happened we found a ban garda on a bike and we told her what happened took details and just said they will keep an eye out. He only got like 50c from his pocket but it is still theft. Imagine these scum bags target the elderly too. They need something like transport police in this country throughout CIE/RPA
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 13:11   #5
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

In such circumstances feel free to use the emergency help point on each platform or dial 112/999.
Unread 01-05-2012, 13:37   #6
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructix View Post
Took my nephew to Dublin one time 2010 and we were getting the Luas outside Heuston. Buying my ticket this skanger/chav came up. He went over and held my nephew down and searched his pockets i turned around and he was already running off i thought he was just talking to him. Nephew told me what happened we found a ban garda on a bike and we told her what happened took details and just said they will keep an eye out. He only got like 50c from his pocket but it is still theft. Imagine these scum bags target the elderly too. They need something like transport police in this country throughout CIE/RPA
CCTV would have helped, did you ever hear back about that, guess not?
Unread 01-05-2012, 16:34   #7
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Luas Meet the Manager with internet survey.
Unread 01-05-2012, 17:23   #8
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
CCTV would have helped, did you ever hear back about that, guess not?
Nothing she took my number but never heard back anything. I guess it was not seen as serious 50c, when the defenceless old lady loses €50 through one these people lets hope they put some effort into investigating. Near busaras dodgy looking people in that stop too.
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 23:33   #9
on the move
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore
Luas Meet the Manager with internet survey.
Tbh, I don't think either passengers or "Managers" take this stuff seriously. Most passengers tell them everything is fine and there is nothing to improve, while the "Managers" see it as a chance to chat more with their colleagues. Nothing ever seems to result from the feedback given.
Unread 02-05-2012, 14:06   #10
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructix View Post
Nothing she took my number but never heard back anything. I guess it was not seen as serious 50c, when the defenceless old lady loses €50 through one these people lets hope they put some effort into investigating. Near busaras dodgy looking people in that stop too.
it was an assault, so its serious. the amount is irrelevent. ah well.
Unread 04-05-2012, 11:33   #11
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
it was an assault, so its serious. the amount is irrelevent. ah well.
So you'd think. I was assaulted at Pearse a few years ago and reported it to the guards, got a letter about six months later saying "sorry you were a crime victim, here's some people you can talk to" and nothing since.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-01-2013, 12:29   #12
redeye99
New to the board

Until the Gardaí and Luas take the issue of anti-social behaviour seriously it will continue. I'm a regular traveller on the Luas Red Line and you can nearly predict the times of day the scumbags are around. Most are well known to the Gardaí and to the Luas. STT are effective when they catch them in the act but to be honest it's not the anti-social behaviour at the stops that concerns me moreover what happened on the trams. Gangs of teenagers intimidating fare paying passengers and the drivers suddenly developing a hearing fault. If I was driving and was made aware of something going on I would call for STT or the Gardaí but that in my experience never happens. One of these days someone will get hurt.
redeye99 is offline   Reply With Quote