Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Up To Date Travel Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 17-09-2013, 18:47   #1
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

Default Major screw up due to failed train around Killucan

Heading for my worst delay ever in 9 years of commuting. After sitting Maynooth for over an hour on the 1805 from Connolly, the driver has just announced that there will be busses here in an hour.

As usual the service is normally pretty reliable but when it goes wrong, Irish Rail appear to be completely unable to cope.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-09-2013, 18:52   #2
Jamie2k9

Any reason why the 17.15 to Longford can't go and push the 17.05 service into the next station. Before they had valid reasons for not doing it as the faults transferred in most cases but they rectified that problem some time ago. It would save lots of time and not cause 3 services to be bus transfers.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-09-2013, 19:07   #3
James Howard

They got it going. We've just started moving again on the 18:05. Some poor buggers were waiting 90 minutes at Maynooth to go to Kilcock. There was no useful info at all for an hour. Just informed us that there was a failed train, no further details.

I wouldn't think they would be allowed push it using a train with passengers on, and it is a bit of a miserable night to be abandoning a train load at Enfield. I'll post again if I see a train parked in Enfield or Mullingar.

I would reckon the 1800 from Sligo is probably going to have the worst delay.
Unread 17-09-2013, 19:25   #4
Jamie2k9

Quote:
I wouldn't think they would be allowed push it using a train with passengers on, and it is a bit of a miserable night to be abandoning a train load at Enfield. I'll post again if I see a train parked in Enfield or Mullingar.
Hasn't stopped them before, when the 18.15 to Westport failed a few months ago it was pushed into Newbridge by another passenger train. Might you it was a couple of hours after the failure. If they had done this today they could of had the line clear within an hour.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-09-2013, 19:48   #5
James Howard

There is a 6 car 22k sitting in a spare platform in Mullingar so they obviously got it here somehow and didn't want to bring it any further. The set is 22x44.

I'm reckoning on being slightly under 90 minutes late at Edgeworthstown
Unread 18-09-2013, 08:21   #6
James Howard

Last night was a mess in Maynooth. We had no useful information for an hour - the driver announced that there was a train failure up the line after about half an hour. After an hour he said we would be waiting another hour for buses. At that point a lot people rang for lifts and so when the train moved 30 minutes later, they were made even later as they had to get off and wait for their lifts.

Well at least I get to apply for 3 euros worth of Irish Rail vouchers. The compensation system for pass-holders really isn't good enough in these situations. The only problem is that they seem to have hidden the form for this pretty well on their website. There doesn't seem to be an option for it on the general customer service form.

I presume they want to make it as awkward as possible to submit the claim.