Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-12-2006, 10:37   #1
drykin3
New to the board

Default Portmarnock Station Parking

The situation regarding car parking at Portmarnock station has reached crisis levels. On weekday mornings, the car park is compltely full by 7.20. This has not been helped by Irishrail's decision to place an ESB substation (needed to pwer 8-carriage darts) at the side of the car park, taking up approximately 20 spaces. In addition, a mobile phone mast has also reduced parking. The car park was re-designed when the substation was installed in a manner that would lead you to surmise that it was done by a blind monkey on the back of a beer mat (about 40 spaces were taken out and numerous kerbs were put in place that serve no purpose)

The car park at Portmornock is the only decent sized one in the area. Malahide is full by just after seven and there's no reral parking at either HJ, Raheny, Kilbarrack etc. As well as residents of Portmarnock, commuters from Malahide, Swords, Kinsealy etc drive to Portmarnock.

Commuters arriving after 7.20 have had to park in any available (i.e. non-designated) spaces, either around the perimeter of the car park or at the front of the car park where up to 40 cars park on a daily basis. About two months ago, Irishrail painted double yellow lines all around the outside the car park, at the aforementioned kerbs. They also hired a private firm who put up signs warning that car would be clamped if parked in "non-designated spaces". This did not happen until yesterday when 11 cars (including my own) were clamped. While my car was not in a car space, it was not obstructing access for any other vehicles. The release fee was €90. So, in one day, the clamping company (ncps.ie) took in €900 in parking fees. When the ncps employee arrived he did not have any change so I had to wait around until a taxi passed by and was able to change money for him.

Two years ago, I started emailing a number of local politicians on this issue. I have now done so on three separate occasions, the last being about a month ago. The response from every one (9 the last time) has been completely unsatisfactory. I have written letters to Roger Tobin, Elain Metcalfe and Joe Beardmore in Irishrail on this and other issues. Again, the responses have been unsatisfactory.

While there is a plan to increase the size of the car park (part of the Portmarnock draft LAP, developer has to provide spaces as part of planning conditions), I have been told that Irishrail are considering building a multi-story car park (creating only 40 extra spaces!) and have applied to the Minister for permission to charge comuters for parking. The car park provided by the developer is at least 18 months away. Between now and then, the private clamping firm stand to take in €1000 each weekday if they continue yesterday's actions.
drykin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2006, 22:00   #2
Derek Wheeler

I have emailed you contact details of the person in charge. Please let us know how you get on.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2006, 11:31   #3
Mark

I pass by it every day and it is an mess. Its a narrow road at parts and the parking is completely awry.

Part of the solution perhaps would be having either the 102 or the 230 servicing the route.

The car park is triangular in shape and does not run the full length of the platform.

Ideally land should be given/cpo'd and a proper layout used.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2006, 12:38   #4
stanley
New to the board

Default Customer service

FYI Elaine Metcalfe no longer works for DART.All customer feedback should be addressed to the following.paul.ronan@irishrail.ie or phylis.elder@irishrail.ie.

I see they have put in palce another wall in DART all feedback is directed to an email box called dartfeedback@irishrail.ie
stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2006, 13:40   #5
alek smart

This wee thread should be cut out,framed and posted on Minister Cullen`s door.

The essence of the OP`s complaint is one of the most basic elements of a properly concieved,planned and executed Public Transport system.

It devolves back to item 1 on any agenda........The Plan.
(NB I am exceedingly aware of Brendan Behans alternative No 1 item on any IRISH agenda....The Split !!).

Without dwelling on this individual location we can simply apply it to ANY of the Dublin Commuter Belt Stations,virtually none of which were constructed with any other purpose in mind than as a Rail Halt.

We must remember that in the Dargan era those who travelled by rail were divided into two distinct categories.

1st Class which encompassed the Railway Officials,exalted personages and then the Gentry all of whom would have the resources to employ a Manservant to meet them at the station with appropriate onward conveyance.

2nd Class......The Great Unwashed,comprising many disparate groupings some of whom may have had independent transport such as an Ass,Pony,Ginnet and Trap or a bicycle.
This huge sweating mass of Labouring Classes would never in a million years have been considered capable AT THE TIME of being ever capable of possessing sufficient means to effect independent carriage.

The REALLY important item here is the role of the proposed Dublin Transportation Authority (DTA) or rather,the Role which its Establishment Team proposed for it.

The Establishment Team did not mince it`s words and laid its cards flat on the table right from the beginning.
Every element of the DTA Establishment Team Report derives from the explicit understanding that any such Authority would have a REGULATORY input into ALL further Land Utilization and Planning issues in the Greater Dublin Region (GDR).

Therefore I suggest that the entire concept of the DTA has been effectively ditched with Minister Cullens very strident rejection of this 1st defining power of any new Authority.

The Minister cites Cabinet concerns that the desired DTA Land Utilization and Planning powers would "Unnecessarily dilute the Democratic Accountability of the Planning Process"......

That term deserves further detail...:

"UNNECESSARILY DILUTE THE DEMOCRATIC ACCOUNTABILITY OF THE PLANNING PROCESS."

That any senior political figure could utter such a statement as reason for rejecting a solidly researched and obviously seriously demanded Administrative Function is a VERY worrying occurence.

It is scarcely credible that Minister Cullen and inter alia the entire Government are unaware that the momentous events as grudgingly revealed before the various Judicial Tribunals has revealed the present Irish Planning Processes to be the Least Democratically Accountable part of our Constitutional Laws.

Has the Government not been made aware of how the learned Tribunal Judges had to literally force grudging admissions of widespread criminal and genuinely anti-social behaviour from virtually the entire cross-section of the Republics "Democratically Accountable" Planners.

The list of Names who in many cases lied and obstructed the efforts of the truly Democratically Accountable Tribunals reads like a Who`s Who of the Irish Political establishment and should be warning Ministers such as Martin Cullen against seeking to stifle the truly Democratic efforts of the DTA Estabishment Team to right a major wrong.

I believe the DTA Establishment Team quite correctly identified the Land Utilization and Planning Issue as being central to achieving ANY genuine progress in the GDR`s woefully haphazard Public Transport and Traffic planning procedures,

So Drykin3 I fully agree with your angry post and can see little democratic about the notion of making the general public contribute to yet another well connected private company (ICPS.ie) which is contracted to re-inforce the effects of the very Planning Failures which the DTA (ET) report identifies and seeks to redress.

With much of the focus concerning the DTA (ET) report having been diverted by the NBRU`s Strike Threat I believe P11 should consider taking an interest in the rather strange Government Attitude to The DTA`s establishment.

For example,In terms of Bus Services (Which SHOULD be viewed as totally integrated and complimentary to ALL Rail services) we now have a decidely suspect arrangement whereby the DTA assumes FULL Regulatory Control of the present CIE companies with the proviso that its procurement powers extend only to those services "Subject to Public Service Obligations"

There is some very odd wording however in relation to the Private Bus Operators.
The "Privates" will it seems remain totally within the ambit of the Minister and Department of Transport both in relation to the issuing of licences and the subsequent "Operating Relationship".
The role of the newly established DTA will in terms of the "Private Bus Operators" be restricted to "establishing a relationship with them,SIMPLY TO GOVERN THEIR PARTICIPATION IN INTEGRATED TICKETING AND INFORMATION SYSTEMS."

This is truly incredible stuff and although qualified by being a "Temporary Arrangement" pending the amendment of the 1932 Road Transport Act gives little indication of any real understanding of what a truly Independent Regulatory Body is about.

It should also be noted that at many times in the past certain senior Departmental Officials expressed the opinion that rather than an "amendment",the 1932 Transport Act required total replacement with an entirely new modern statute.

This scenario would require several years of Parliamentary debate and draughting therefore facilitating the ongoing development of a decidedly two-tier Public Bus service operating system.

The more I read and re-read the DTA(ET) report the more dejected I become that there is any real understanding of the essentially simple issues which frustrate Public Transport users in the Republic.

Therefore Drykin3 all I can do is to share your Pain and perhaps consider buying shares in NCPS.ie......
alek smart is offline   Reply With Quote