Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Rail Users Ireland Canteen
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 17-12-2006, 23:20   #1
Derek Wheeler

Default Dublin port tunnel

Well the week it opens is upon us.

HGVs, 25+ pax buses and vehicles adapted for disabled drivers are free. Tolls for all other vehicles range from €3, €6 and €12 depending on the time of day. I guess we'll see a lot of mercs and beamers speeding through it at peak. Another cash cow in the making, devised on the basis of celtic tiger Ireland and the "haves" willingness to pay.

Anyone know why vehicles adapted for disabled drivers are free?

The website says "Dublin port to the M50 in 10 minutes!". It makes no reference to journey times after that.

While it will go some way to removing HGVs from the city centre, I still think its a huge waste of money, because its use is limited and penalised by tolls. Hard to believe that as recent as 10 years ago a freight park in Clondalkin, connected by rail to the docks was still on the cards. Get it out of the docks by rail and onto the trucks in Clondalkin. How simple was that. When this project was scuppered, along came the port tunnel. A project that has cost us 100s of millions and does virtually nothing for road traffic congestion. (in fact adds to it on the M50)

I have, in the past, been critical of CIE for the sale of Spencer Dock. But in fairness to them, they were proposing a similar site in Clondalkin to compensate in terms of a freight yard. So Im wondering, was there a political agenda to build the port tunnel instead of a freight park in west Dublin. Can anyone shed any light on the history of both projects?
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-12-2006, 10:16   #2
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

A few years ago I heard that fierce opposition from local residents was a factor in scuppering the Clondalkin area freight terminal.

Transport policy in Ireland is hostage to localism gone mad (WRC?)
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-12-2006, 11:08   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Wheeler View Post
Anyone know why vehicles adapted for disabled drivers are free?
Yes they are free
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-12-2006, 12:15   #4
zag
Regular Poster

Default 10 minutes ?

They could have pulled an even bigger one - since the port tunnel is officially the M50 (last time I checked and contrary to all logic) they could have said it only took seconds to get from the port to the M50 or at least the end of the M50 in the port area.

Maybe they actually did mean that end and are allowing for the likely delay involved in getting through the free barriers for trucks.

I know this is a rail forum, but I think it is worth mentioning that the NRA and associated traffic bodies continue to push the envelope when it comes to motorway design. Not content with doing away with rest areas on motorways, making a total mess of approach signage (try following the signs to the M50 around Leopardstown/Sandyford or spotting the N3 exit off the M50), they have now decided to install traffic lights *on* a motorway. I think they are planning on writing a new book on motorway design and getting the rest of the world to throw out their old ones that have served perfectly well for the last 50 or so years. The use of traffic lights at the entrance to the port tunnel might help provide some relief to the truck drivers stuck in there during backlog times, but I was pretty sure that a general principle of motorway traffic management was to never, ever, ever install anything that will deliberately stop traffic or else run the risk of pile-ups as people not expecting a stoppage pile into the back of the vehilce in front.

z
zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-12-2006, 13:33   #5
al2637

Lights at the start? where?

They do have the ability to close the tunnel should the traffic become backed up and either Exit, but this is for safety reasons.
al2637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-12-2006, 16:23   #6
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Every motorway tunnel I've seen on the Continent in the last few years has traffic lights. ( post Mont Blanc Tunnel fire any way.)

The Idea of stopping traffic entering a blocked tunnel by traffic lights seems a better plan than the idea of using the faulty/broken brake lights of the vehicle directly ahead.

The plan would be for the lights never to be used, or used only during maintenance. The lack of changable signs ala Jack Lynch seems worrying too. Like there's no plan b when the tunnel is closed.
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-12-2006, 16:58   #7
alek smart

Derek P11 asks....."Anyone know why vehicles adapted for disabled drivers are free?"

I would suspect that the City Council,ever aware to the benefits of "Feel Good Factor" PR decided on this in order to head off any problems from disability rights "Activists".

These sort of stunts are always handy to add to a young PR persons bulging portfolio.
However,the actual business of providing Disabled Access does`nt simply end there.
Has anybody noticed how the "Disabled Access" Bus Stops are ALWAYS kept meticulously clear throughout Dublin...???
alek smart is offline   Reply With Quote