Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-01-2007, 14:21   #1
ThomasJ

Default Midland line

There seems to be alot of action on the single line leading out of connolly.Why focus on this area when commuter trains wont use it. It is possible that the 08.00 connolly sligo line will depart platform 7 and will be using the midland line come monday.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2007, 14:36   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

They are testing the line, the Docklands station is not quite finished yet

And yes it is possible that any train from P7 not serving Drumcondra will be routed via the Midland line and its a very tricky drive uphill

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 12-01-2007 at 14:38.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2007, 19:36   #3
packetswitch

Just a wondering. I was out that way today. It seems (from a non-expert's point of view) that it would be possible for a train to serve Drumcondra and then continue to Docklands - or not quite. There is a turn just before the Sligo (Drumcondra) line joins the Belfast line - that continues on towards the docks and just passes by the site of the Docklands site. Or am I remembering and reading it wrong? Look at the map (extracted from the file on IÉ site) - what is the real story here? Could a train from the Northern line also be routed out towards Docklands? If so, how come the new station doesn't have access to this other line?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 3.jpg (34.9 KB, 1727 views)
packetswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2007, 20:05   #4
packetswitch

I think I have an answer to my own question, but I'm still not sure I get the logic:

Quote:
The station location is at the west end of the Midland yard and is not connected to the former GS&WR and GNR(I) lines. The location was chosen to allow construction of the proposed underground Interconnector station to take place at the east end of the yard in future without having to disrupt services.
http://www.irrs.ie/Journal%20160/160%20News.htm
packetswitch is offline   Reply With Quote