Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-02-2007, 10:05   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default Dirty Trains

Had call to travel from Newbridge to Heuston last night and I have to say the condition of the train was disgraceful

There was rubbish everywhere. newspapers everywhere, coffee cups and other random stuff, all 4 coaches where the same
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2007, 13:23   #2
portarlington_user
Regular Poster

Similar complaint - I have been on the 17:50 train for the last week and 3 times so far before the train left, a (deafening) announcement was made about it being illegal to smoke, yet each time during the journey someone was clearly smoking. I couldn't see who but the smell was strong. Did not go looking for the ticket man but would have complained if he walked past.
portarlington_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2007, 14:33   #3
2Funki4Wheelz

Have to give the passengers a slap for litter like that, even on the mk3's with bins between the seats people still chuck wrappers and apple cores on the floor.

Even the mk4's are getting grubby in places. I've been on a few now with coffee/tea splashes on the wall/vent under the window and there's already a build of grime on the groove around the inside of the tabletops. I love how only the mk4s get the Noonan's guys walking up and down while in service, surely the contract could be extended to other services.
Unread 01-02-2007, 14:37   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Turnaround times on the Mk4 mean it can't be cleaned

29000 last night was a total mess, the tiny bin was already overflowing and it was clear that no one bothered to take a black bag and 5 minutes. The train had been sitting in Newbridge for 20 minutes before I arrived so it wasn't as if someone could have collected the rubbish. Of course there was no ticket checker to be found which doesn't help
Unread 01-02-2007, 18:24   #5
Oisin88

I take my rubbish with me to the bin at the end of the entrance vestibules in the cú na mara or behing the middle seats in the carriage on the mk3s, but they seem to be empty mostly. Some passengers leave the trains in a filthy state.
Oisin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2007, 09:24   #6
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Had call to travel from Newbridge to Heuston last night and I have to say the condition of the train was disgraceful

There was rubbish everywhere. newspapers everywhere, coffee cups and other random stuff, all 4 coaches where the same
You sound like you're surprised.
This happens nearly every evening on northern line trains.
especially 2600s which have no bins.
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2007, 09:36   #7
Celbridge traveller
New to the board

Unhappy The Dreaded Bubble Gum

I had an irrating experience last night on the 17.15 ex Heuston.

When I got up from my seat on arrival at my destination - Celbridge - my overcoat was slightly stuck to the seat. I noticed some gum remaining on the seat.

What I did not realise at the time was that there was still some gum attached to my coat. This has now transferred to my car and has become part of my car seat - it is really disgusting!

I have listened to the Minister for the Environment trying to talk away his reponsibilites for this area in the past without giving it much head space, but I would have thought that IE would be making some effort to keep the interior of their new commuter railcar fleet up to a reasonable standard.

If IE continue show a studied indifference to the issue of litter etc, passengers can hardly be expected to take any interest.
Celbridge traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2007, 11:01   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I've seen dirty but this was a whole new level

Quote:
7. Quality Standards - on Trains

Cleanliness
We will ensure that all trains are thoroughly cleaned before entering service each day. During the day, we will ensure where possible that trains are cleaned for the start of each new journey. All trains are programmed to receive an external wash at least three times per week.
And we all know that is not happening,
Unread 04-02-2007, 08:26   #9
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Turnaround times on the Mk4 mean it can't be cleaned
With a little bit of cooperation from the train crew during the journey, the cleaning crew should be able to remove all rubbish quickly enough. The train doesn't have to be spick and span 100% of the time (it would be nice, but lets talk practicalities). At each terminus, bus drivers try to at least walk the bus and remove the worst.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2007, 13:21   #10
portarlington_user
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
With a little bit of cooperation from the train crew during the journey, the cleaning crew should be able to remove all rubbish quickly enough.
A couple of months ago at heuston I was sitting on a train about to depart and watched another train arrive at the platform beside me. When everyone got off, IE staff went through the carriages and picked whatever papers or magazines they wanted to keep and threw the unwanted ones back on seats and tables. Obviously willing to show a lot of cooperation there with their cleaning crew!
portarlington_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2007, 21:29   #11
James_Lawless
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmd View Post
You sound like you're surprised.
This happens nearly every evening on northern line trains.
especially 2600s which have no bins.
When we (NASRUG) first started talking to IE one of our first queries was why there were no bins on our trains, arrows anyhow. we were told it was a legacy of the troubles when bins were bomb targets - possibly this is still a concern/hangover on the northern line?
James_Lawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2007, 21:49   #12
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

nope. it is pure arseboxing and lies from ie. all services have bins except 18:15 from pearse. the 2600 are sh1te and usually filthy.

So next time ask ie why they lie to their fare paying customers i.e. you.
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2007, 21:52   #13
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Which is bull**** IE will dream up any excuse to cover for there failures, they assume the public are too lazy to question their story.

Now given no railcar is timetabled to cross the border its a fabrication by lazy management. The only railcars with bins are the only ones actually permitted to run in NI, so the excuse doesn't stack up

Bin is pointless if it is not emptied, which they don't do anyway the fact remains the trains are not cleaned at the start of there journey as per the agreements in place