Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-02-2007, 16:50   #1
Brian Condron

Default Farecard Query

Quick question, does anyone know if you can use Irish Rail's Farecard in the UK to obtain Young Persons Railcard fares? Similarly can you use the Young Persons card in Ireland?
Brian Condron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2007, 16:57   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Nope as far as I know
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2007, 17:07   #3
packetswitch

In the UK (well, GB) you have to buy a YP Railcard. Student travel card (STC), ISIC, Farecard, proof of age etc - none of them apply, reason being that it's not purely an age-entitlement but a discount scheme (so you have to pay for the card, £20 at a mainline station, I have one and made the cost back in a couple of trips).

On IÉ the only things accepted are farecards and student travel cards. In the past they accepted ISIC with a travel stamp (and sometimes college cards) but not any more.

Contrast with Bus Éireann which still takes college cards (they have a list of accepted colleges), student travelcards etc etc. - but offers no discount to non-student adults. Therefore if you're a student you don't have to pay for your discount card but if you're a non-student you don't get anything!

Or Luas which accepts STC but not Farecard or any college cards for weeklies/monthlies.

It used to make more sense. ISIC was too easily forged, though.
packetswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2007, 18:27   #4
Oisin88

when I was young enough to have a british young persons railcard, I bought one on the spot in Portsmouth station. It was a few £ less to buy the railcard and pay the discounted fair than to pay the full adult one!
Oisin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-01-2008, 12:45   #5
deshocks
New to the board

Default Under - 26 farecard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Condron View Post
Quick question, does anyone know if you can use Irish Rail's Farecard in the UK to obtain Young Persons Railcard fares? Similarly can you use the Young Persons card in Ireland?
Hi all,

In relation to this, how do I go about getting a farecard? Nothing on the Irish Rail website (as far as I can see) about it, and I haven't seen anything in stations about it. I'm located in Galway.

Thanks
Deeshocks
deshocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-01-2008, 22:11   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/your_ticket/leisure.asp

and

http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_in...discount_cards

Any intercity booking office will issue once you have the €10 the passport photo and the proof of age

Its also listed in the full timetable (page 189) and I've have seen posters up at stations

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 21-01-2008 at 22:15.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-01-2008, 19:32   #7
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

They are definitely not interchangeable, and neither are valid in Northern Ireland nor for journeys going there. Faircard costs €10 and you get it at any Intercity station with a proof of age and (smaller than) passport-size photo. YPR is £20 and requires a long form filled out. Both generally repay their cost on the first journey.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote