Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Up To Date Travel Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 13-03-2007, 18:02   #1
MOH
Really Regular Poster

Default [13-03-2007] 6pm - no northbound DART/Commuter services until ???

Due to a train failure somewhere around Merrion gates, there are 'major delays' on all northbound services. Which will presumably have a knock on effect on southbound services later on.

Of course, the guy in Blackrock station has absolutely no idea how long this delay is going to be, much to the confusion of the tourists who were asking him and couldn't understand why he couldn't even give a ballpark figure.

edit: there's a notice on the website timed 17:45, just saying delays, no estimate given

Last edited by MOH : 13-03-2007 at 18:05.
MOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-03-2007, 18:07   #2
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

The next train in Pearse is a dart to all stations to Malahide.
according to the tannoy just now.
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-03-2007, 18:07   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its saying delays both directions on the platform displays

The DART fleet is currently over stretched owing to the refurbishment project which isn't helping nor is the poor mechanical condition of some of the older coaches

Merrion gates is the worst place to fail since you block the crossover

Tickets now valid on bus

Quote:
17:45 13-03-2007

Due to a DART technical fault at Merrion Gates all Northbound DART and Commuter services are experiencing delays
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-03-2007, 18:23   #4
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Some drogheda train left Pearse at 18:15
Unread 13-03-2007, 18:24   #5
MOH
Really Regular Poster

AA Roadwatch are reporting delays of 45 mins northbound, 25 southbound, but trains only running from Howth/Malahide-Pearse and Booterstown-Greystones.

IE website still just has unspecified 'delays' to northbound services.

And the up-to-date 'real time' system is still blissfully unaware of any issue.

edit:
AA Roadwatch now say services have resumed, same figures for delays though.

Last edited by MOH : 13-03-2007 at 18:29. Reason: Updated information
MOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-03-2007, 18:28   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

8 coach DART sitting in the southbound at Pearse since 18:22 still there

There is no reason not to operate from Lansdowne if not Sidney Parade by alternate reverse line working, it been done before
Unread 13-03-2007, 18:35   #7
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

actually the train that arrived at 18:15 didn't depart at all and is still sitting there with "technical problems"

This reminds me of some post from some while back.
Unread 13-03-2007, 18:40   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

No update on IE site

Currently looks like a northbound train in the southbound platform in Pearse waiting to depart, edit it left 18:42 fully loaded

Next train is Maynooth on P2

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 13-03-2007 at 18:42.
Unread 13-03-2007, 18:57   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Evening train to Rosslare is only now in Tara Street

IE have tweaked the online real time gizmo its more informative but the info isn't matching the trains going by
Unread 13-03-2007, 19:11   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
UPDATE 19:00 13-03-2007

Following an earlier technical fault on a DART service at Merrion Gates, all DART and Commuter services are experiencing significant delays.

Iarnród Éireann apologises for the inconvenience caused.
IE of course hiding the problems with the 18:15 to Drogheda

Strange the update occurred about 5 minuets after someone in IE read this thread
Unread 13-03-2007, 19:56   #11
hhf8
Regular Poster

has this been sorted,mate tried to get the 17.10 from connolly. Said there'd be an hr delay,ended up getting the bus eireann to balbriggan
Unread 13-03-2007, 20:15   #12
ThomasJ

Major disruption at the moment. Amongst the list of cancellations are the 19.00 pearse to maynooth and return journey although the evening longford service did not leave blackrock until half six so that probably made connolly around seven. The 20.17 connolly to drogheda has been cancelled. The rosslare europort to drogheda train will call at all stations. Alot of southbound darts cancelled as well
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-03-2007, 20:31   #13
eugene

Affected me this evening too in Tara Street, was told to go to Connolly for the Maynooth train, waited there for 15 minutes then decided to head to the new Docklands station (only had to get to Broombridge as I live in South Finglas)

Lucky I could do that for once, interesting ride up along Withworth Road, had been looking down on the those tracks for ages waiting for a train to come up and down them.

One person on the train say that this train would be full within a few weeks will all the people who work in the IFSC who should be taking it instead.
eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-03-2007, 20:35   #14
hhf8
Regular Poster

ah jaysus!,any idea on when its getting back to normal?,out in dcu,would like to get the 11.20 home,don't want to waste a journey into town
Unread 13-03-2007, 21:53   #15
Rashers
Really Regular Poster

Angry Nightmare

The earlier delays really caught IE offguard.
CTC made a complete balls-up with the information, and even after standing in Lansdowne Road station for 1 hour, they were still announcing, they would come back with more information.
I rang up Connolly information and later their booking office who advised, that CTC were not giving out any information. I was trying to get the 16.50 Bray to Drogheda service, which around 18.15 'disappeared' off the displays. Connolly information thought it had been cancelled mid route, but they told me that really they had no idea where it had vanished to.
So the last DART through Lansdowne was at 17.15 approx. The next DART afterwards was the one that failed. At 18.10, CTC decided to route one of the northbound DARTs stuck behind the 17.15 one, onto the southbound platform in Lansdowne. They then routed this back onto the northbound line to just before Grand Canal dock. However, after 15 mins waiting just north of there, the service was then routed onto the southbound platform at Pearse street. By now confusion rained.
The DART driver decided not to bother telling anyone what was happening.
I rang Connolly to find out should I head for the 18.40 Connolly-Drogheda service, but they advised the earlier 18.15 Pearse - Drogheda was waiting in Pearse street (In fact they did not even know this service had failed, and was now blocking the northbound line/platform). They did kindly advise the 18.40 would leave without any of the connecting passengers stuck on this DART.
I got off there, and got on the delayed 18.15 service, which left around 18.50. A 4 car Maynooth service pulled in on the southbound platform, and looked like it was mopped. It left ahead of the Drogheda service, but was then held in Connolly, with what looked liked issues to do with the crowds trying to get on.

Interestingly, when I checked the IE website @ 17.15, it showed the next service northbound as my Drogheda service. But when I got to the station at 17.20 it showed the previous DART was delayed. Great new website, same incorrect and false 'live' feeds.

It really was a disasterous evening for IE. Complete service breakdown. Terrible information flows. No one seemed to know what was happening. When things go wrong they sometimes seem to abandon the passengers, which is what seems to have happened tonight.
I would expect notices in the stations tomorrow morning, given the serious nature of the impact, but we'll wait and see what Barry + Corporate Communications can do.
Rashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-03-2007, 22:08   #16
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Did someone die? Nothing on www.rte.ie or www.eircom.net or http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-03-2007, 22:11   #17
ThomasJ

Tara street advised passengers waiting on maynooth to make their own way to connolly. Apparently heavy load walked from tara street to connolly cue the passenger issues at connolly. No inititive by ie to inform or remind passengers that docklands services were running without any hitches in fact docklands has barely been plugged by the other city centre stations. Customer service youre joking
Unread 13-03-2007, 22:14   #18
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

What I have pieced together is as follows

Think it was the 17:02 Dun Laoghaire Howth failed at Merrion Gates. It failed in such a position that the crossovers at Merrion could not be used to route trains around it. Train behind it was a 29k which can't couple up to tow it out.

The 18:15 Pearse Drogheda suffered a technical fault of some kind in platform 1 Pearse at 18:15

Single line working was implemented Dun Laoghaire - Lansdowne and through Pearse. the system is designed to allow this, however the location of the failure at Merrion meant this solution was not very effective. The failure in Pearse completely wrecked the turn-back strategy

The 16:50 Bray Drogheda was caught at the signal at the Circus site in Booterstown, there where 3 8 coach 29k sets trapped.
Unread 13-03-2007, 22:23   #19
ThomasJ

Does anyone know if both maynooth and longford trains departed bray this evening. Judging by rashers post the train sitting in blackrock around half six was in fact the 17.25 to maynooth can anyone confirm this
Unread 13-03-2007, 22:35   #20
Redsoxfan
New to the board

I went over to Connolly to get the 19.05 to Sligo (for Maynooth). Train was there well before time. Driver kept announcing that it was the 19.05 and the first stop was Maynooth. Train pulled away at around 19.11. We crawled to Ashtown and then stopped.

The driver came on the intercom to tell us there was a train serving all stations to Maynooth in front of us.

Crawled on to Maynooth (pulled in around 7.50). Driver apologised and blamed a fault at Connolly???
Redsoxfan is offline   Reply With Quote