Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Rail Users Ireland Canteen
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-04-2007, 21:44   #1
Derek Wheeler

Default Road safety

With all the accidents to drivers, cyclists and pedestrians and the death rates, we often, in fact always, hear the usual suspects (politicians, Gaybo etc) waffle on about educating people and lately its about educating children.

I drive al lot (an understatement ) Its one of the reasons why I got involved with P11, because I know the role railways can play in easing traffic chaos on our roads. (if done right) I consider myself a good driver. Ive done approx 600,000 miles over the last 10 years. Ive never had a driving accident, a pedestrian accident or a cycling accident (when I cycled around Dublin circa 90-93) Why? Well education really. As a child, I watched UK programmes/ads about safe cycling. I watched the ads about the Green cross code, the Irish campaigns with Judge from Wanderly Wagon, and I was frequently brought to a certain place in Fairview every summer where children learned the rules of the road by driving a pedal car around a miniature town. Surely others must remember it???

The sad part of this tale, is the fact that this facility appears very run down and only offers a couple of classes a day.. I stood at the gate today and it was locked up and very overgrown. Now in a country thats apparently the 3rd richest in the world, with a poor road fatality rate, how have we not seen fit to build these learning centres all over the country. Who is responsible for the delapidated centre in Clontarf?? Dublin City Council of course.
To this day, I still remember what I learned there and it stood to me when I cycled my bike, crossed the road and eventually took my first driving lesson many moons ago. It was a fun way to learn and was packed out every summer in the early 80s when I went.

Someone somewhere needs to highlight this travesty and neglect. These centres should be expanded nationwide and built bigger and better. Getting the message across early saves lives later.

Last edited by Derek Wheeler : 12-04-2007 at 21:52.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-04-2007, 08:03   #2
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Dublin Corpo, the sponsors of

http://forum.platform11.org/showpost...03&postcount=9

hmmm.....
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-04-2007, 08:23   #3
Gary
Regular Poster

Yea agree with you Derek, that's where I started on two pedal power many years ago. Haven't been there in a long time but that's a shame. Could do with sending some of the boy racers there back to learn some of the basics rules.
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote