Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-10-2007, 17:28   #1
MOH
Really Regular Poster

Default Musings on the nature of time

I believed until recently Stephen Hawking could possibly develop a whole new theory from careful study of Iarnrod Eireann. I regularly travel backwards in time depending on which IE clock I'm looking at.

I'm now disappointed to find it's actually just down to IE inconsistency.

For example:
- The time displayed on the old turnstiles (or the one at Killester anyway) is 2 minutes slow;
- The time on the LED clock on the platform is actually correct;
- The 'current time' displayed on the old 'real time' system is about 30 seconds slow;
- The 'current time' displayed on the new 'real time' system is 2.5 minutes fast

Worryingly, trains generally seem to disappear off the new real time system when the 'current time' reaches the 'ETA'.

Since that 'current time' is over two minutes fast, this means either all of these train are going two minutes early, or the real-time system is in fact a load of rubbish.
MOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 17:41   #2
StephenM
Regular Poster

And to futher put a spanner in the works, I saw a page on the new website saying that the Customer timetables and the IE Timetables are 2 different things. So even if you get the right time of day, the train might be on a different timetable.
StephenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2007, 10:39   #3
MOH
Really Regular Poster

A warning: just noticed over the last few days that the current time on the newer real time system is now correct, and as a result it's now (a bit more) accurate.

Nearly caught me out a couple of times since I automatically assume I have two minutes more than it says. I presume it's a side effect of the clocks going back, rather than anyone actively correcting the time.
MOH is offline   Reply With Quote