Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Up To Date Travel Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 14-10-2007, 22:41   #1
ThomasJ

Default strike averted

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/...ew&news_id=303

Quote:
THREATENED INDUSTRIAL ACTION CALLED OFF by Corporate Communications

UPDATE 22.30HRS, 14TH OCTOBER 2007

SERVICES TO OPERATE NORMALLY AS THREATENED STRIKE CALLED OFF

Iarnród Éireann is pleased to confirm to customers that services to and from Cork, Kerry and Limerick, including Cork commuter services, will now operate normally on 15th October 2007, after SIPTU and NBRU called off tomorrow's threatened industrial action by Permanent Way (line inspection and maintenance) staff.

Iarnród Éireann thanked the Labour Relations Commission for chairing talks throughout this week, culminating in today's meeting.

This produced a document which has been accepted by the company and the trade unions, and will allow the substantive issues to be heard by the Labour Court on week commencing 22nd October.

Iarnród Éireann apologises to customers for any disruption to travel plans caused by the threatened action.
can the thread title be updated/changed?
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-10-2007, 22:42   #2
weehamster

Iarnród Éireann strike averted
Quote:
arnród Éireann says train services to and from Cork, Kerry and Limerick, including Cork commuter services, will operate normally tomorrow after SIPTU and the NBRU called off threatened industrial action by line inspection and maintenance staff.

The company thanked the Labour Relations Commission for chairing talks throughout this week, culminating in today's meeting.

It says the result was a document, which has been accepted by the company and the trade unions, and will allow the substantive issues to be heard by the Labour Court from 22 October.
Advertisement

The company has apologised to customers for any disruption to travel plans caused by the threatened action.

In a statement SIPTU said: 'A number of minor issues remain to be resolved and the unions will be seeking assurances on these from the company.'
http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1014/rail.html

Well I'm glad it's not going ahead , However a few things about the whole charade must but noted.

One, which has already been pointed out is why IÉ was late in advising it's customers of the possible strike. I think they should be told off about that.

Two, that yet again the unions have pulled out at the last minute. This whole thing could have been dealt with without threating a strike and scaring rail customers into worrying how they are going to get to work etc... and back.

I'm sick to death of the unions and their members, using rail customers for their financial agenda. The same customers who already have to put up with a poor standard of service and customers service from the exact same union members.
Unread 14-10-2007, 22:58   #3
weehamster

snap
Unread 14-10-2007, 23:02   #4
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehamster View Post
snap

oops! you beat me to it

good news though!
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote