Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 23-10-2007, 13:06   #1
TheBoss
New to the board

Default First class on commuter trains ??

Anybody know what the policy is with first-class carriages on commuter trains.

The 17.25 train ex heuston to Portlaoise (and onwards to Limerick) is effectively a commuter train serving Sallins/Naas, Newbridge, Kildare, Portarlington and Portloaise after which it is almost empty.

However, the powers that be have a first class section at the top of the train. Depending on the conductor ‘in charge’ (I use the term lightly) – he will let the ‘ordinary’ passengers sit in it. However, some guys get really uptight about it and eventually give in only when he is faced with about a dozen passengers looking for seats. Others rant about paying an upgrade but is ignored by all !

Now, I have no objection to first class as such (especially if a customer has purchased a first-class return ticket and travelled that morning for e.g.). But there is no extra service to warrant first-class – i.e. no food served, no trolley service, etc.

What really annoys people is the fact that several IE staff (not train workers) sit in it every evening – I counted 10 one evening.

It can be quite amusing some evenings watching the antics of all, but the train is very overcrowded most days and even limited standing room left.

Anyone got any comments ?
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-10-2007, 14:16   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Well there are 32 standard class seats in the first class coach

Trolley service does operate but only beyond Kildare since the train has to empty out, I've been on the train in question I know the drill by now the first class heads get the trolley first

Destination is Limerick, it is an intercity train, all the stops it makes are at intercity stations and it has a intercity id

You would be suprised how many IE staff have first class passes, that said would you rather them sit in standard taking up your seat? If you want to have some fun the person in charge of who gets a first class pass is more than likely one of those 10

If you found a first class coach on a suburban service eg the 18:40 to Thurles, 18:05 to Port Laois or the 17:10 to Athlone then its not first its standard class

Irish Rail is fairly unique in not offering first class to commuter services, most medium distance commuter services in the UK have first as do some in Paris

The Sallins and/or Newbridge stop on the 17:25 is likely to be removed in the new timetable with an extra service picking up those stops.

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 23-10-2007 at 14:23.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-10-2007, 14:28   #3
TheBoss
New to the board

Yeah - its fun watching the staff sitting in first class keep the heads down when there is any hassle !

Good news about Sallins and Newbridge taken away - they were re-introduced last year - a disaster from day one !! But does it mean that we will be delayed even longer behind the Arrow to newbridge (17.20 ??) or is that changing too ? Any info on any additional service to portlaoise after the 15.20 ?

Thanks
Unread 23-10-2007, 14:34   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

We don't know exactly what is going on but there will be an extra train in the rush hour out of Heuston so it will take some of the strain.

Trains to Limerick are every two hours on the odd hours 25 minutes thereare some gaps but they are to be filled in

Despite the whole we are investing line there aren't enough coaches, everything is brought bought back to Dublin for the peak hours so the bit either side of the rush is suspect

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 23-10-2007 at 14:40.
Unread 24-10-2007, 08:15   #5
TheBoss
New to the board

Serious overcrowding on the 17.25 yesterday evening. I counted 20 people standing between the carriages where i was and it was the same throughout the train. Seats only free after Kildare.

Surely a health and safety issue with such overcrowding?
Unread 24-10-2007, 08:57   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

20 people is nothing by standards, same coaches used to carry almost as many standing as seated while in use elsewhere

There are no legal guidelines either in Ireland or elsewhere in the EU

Real overcrowding you want to try the Maynooth line at about 8 am
Unread 24-10-2007, 15:49   #7
MidlandDeltic
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
Serious overcrowding on the 17.25 yesterday evening. I counted 20 people standing between the carriages where i was and it was the same throughout the train. Seats only free after Kildare.

Surely a health and safety issue with such overcrowding?
The 1725 last night was a coach short. On the first class on commuter trains, this is only normal in the UK on longer distance trains out of London (eg Peterborough, Oxford, Cambridge). Services elsewhere are virtaully all standard calss only away from the InterCity network.

Sean
MidlandDeltic is offline   Reply With Quote