Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 27-10-2007, 09:06   #1
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Default Remember!!!!!

Does anyone miss the old Connolly station so to speak. The old way was so much better, You had to take the electric stairs up or the walk up-stairs and when you get to the top there was alot going on. There was the Belfast hiding over at the wall at Platform2 or 1. You had another NI train I remember a white and blue train. The Sligo looking at you peeping over the green bar fence thing. Then walking up you would see another Intercity(Mark II) at platform 5 for Rosslare. All the light coloured DART trains with only 4carriages. The Orange and Black ARROW train. You had the Mark III's running on the Drogheda they were much better.The Connolly now is very nice and modern I was walking down to Exit by platform4 and it suddenly came back, Wired.
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-10-2007, 09:09   #2
richards
New to the board

Arrow remember

Connolly was extensively refurbished about 7 years ago.
Looking at it recently, it is the dirtiest railway station in Dublin. The Grey tiles seem to pick up all the dirt.

The main entrance of Amiens St is dark and the walls were done in a cheap cement render and look dirty. The whole place looks like it could do with a complete clean (and regular).

Compare Connolly to Belfast Central which which looks ugly from the outside yet is spotless in side and is more akin to an airport. The materials used during the refurbishment seem to be far superior to the ones used by IE.
richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-10-2007, 13:29   #3
James Shields

At first glance, Connolly does look nice and modern, but look closer and there were some very poor choices made during the refurbishment.

The old toilets were up stairs, so not great from an accessibility point of view, but they were huge so there was never any queueing, and they always seemed to be spotless. Perhaps my memory is distorted by time, but I have a vague memory of acres of spotless white tiles. The new toilets are small, dark and dingy, and generally have a horrid smell. They usually have at least one cubicle and one hand-dryer out of order in the gents. Also, the doors to the gents are never closed, which probably isn't good from a health and safety point of view, though it does feel like it's the only thing letting light and air in, and I think I'd be quite nervous being in there with the door closed.

The downstairs entrance also seems very cut off and isolated.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-10-2007, 15:33   #4
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Yes the toilets had alot more space. The toilets now are very dark and that door should be closed. The smell is bad and from a health and safety point of view iarnrod eireann should be looked into on this matter. Is there any website that has the old Connolly pictures,be interesting to see the changes that have been made.
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote