Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Up To Date Travel Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 17-12-2007, 17:16   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default [17-12-2007] 18:00 Dublin Cork

Guessed as much that there would be problems, not unexpected as staff are not working rest days which is there right

Quote:
18 00 Dublin to Cork, Monday 17th December 2007: cancelled by Corporate Communications

17th December 2007 - 17.00hrs

The 18.00hrs Dublin Heuston to Cork is cancelled this evening due to operational problems, involving late notice of a driver not covering an absence.

Iarnród Éireann apologises for the inconvenience caused, and the late notice.

Customers travelling to Thurles, Limerick Junction or Mallow are advised to travel on the 18.30hrs Dublin Heuston to Tralee, and customers travelling to Cork are advised to travel on the 19.00hrs Heuston to Cork.
NOTE IE are not telling passengers of the connection off the 18:30 at Mallow for Cork which suggests that is also cancelled which is curious since its driven by the 18:30 driver
Unread 17-12-2007, 21:58   #2
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
NOTE IE are not telling passengers of the connection off the 18:30 at Mallow for Cork which suggests that is also cancelled which is curious since its driven by the 18:30 driver
Usen't they hide some Cork-Mallow services to discourage people heading for Cork from overcrowding Tralee services?
Unread 18-12-2007, 12:39   #3
Laois Commuter

Quote:
Guessed as much that there would be problems, not unexpected as staff are not working rest days which is there right

I did hear an announcement for Cork passengers to catch the 1830. That said, I would have probably waited for the 1900 and had a through joureny rather than change.

LC
Unread 18-12-2007, 12:44   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

No you would take the 18:30 and save 30 minutes travel time, plus you get a way more comfortable train

Rule one in this business is you get the first train you can since there are no guarantees that there will be another
Unread 18-12-2007, 12:55   #5
Laois Commuter

Quote:
No you would take the 18:30 and save 30 minutes travel time, plus you get a way more comfortable train

Rule one in this business is you get the first train you can since there are no guarantees that there will be another
Please do not tell me what I would do. I would (as I said) have waited for the 1900 and avoided the change in preference to potentially being stranded at Mallow waiting for the 1900 in any event. You do not know my circumstances - for example, I may be mobility impaired, partially sighted or just unsure about the layout of Mallow.

With respect Mark, you do not know what action I would take.

LC
Unread 18-12-2007, 13:08   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

My applogies, but in the case of what is industrial action (which this looks like but isn't) I cannot advise anyone to wait on the promise of later train when there is one sitting there ready to go.

Stand in Heuston at peak hour when something goes wrong and you will witness crowds swapping between platforms in a effort to seek the first departure out

There are too many variables and many will recall the incident in November 2006 when the passengers on the 19:00 didn't leave till 21:15 after no fewer than 3 trains broke down. The 19:00 is driven by a Cork driver who will insist on the full mid shift break which may result in a late departure and its a very very slow trip normally.

IE tried to hide the 18:30 option to Cork last night which was not on, they knew they had a driver for it and the connection at Mallow since its the same person
Unread 18-12-2007, 13:13   #7
CSL

He's trying to tell you what action you should take, based on an extensive personal knowledge of the system. It's up to you to take the advice or ignore it.

What's the problem with that ? And yes, you may be affected by any of the factors mentioned .

We're not forcing you to do anything at all.
Unread 18-12-2007, 17:04   #8
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

If I may:

Quote:
No, one would take the 18:30 and save 30 minutes travel time, plus one gets a way more comfortable train

Rule one in this business is you get the first train one can since there are no guarantees that there will be another
Quote:
He's trying to tell you what action one should take, based on an extensive personal knowledge of the system. It's up to you to take the advice or ignore it.

What's the problem with that ? And yes, one may be affected by any of the factors mentioned .

Unread 18-12-2007, 20:19   #9
CSL

Ha ha ha haha

Use of the first personal impersonal or is it referring to oneself in the 3rd person singular ?
Unread 19-12-2007, 09:28   #10
Laois Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL View Post
He's trying to tell you what action you should take, based on an extensive personal knowledge of the system. It's up to you to take the advice or ignore it.

What's the problem with that ? And yes, you may be affected by any of the factors mentioned .

With respect, I also have extensive knowledge and experience of rail travel, being a daily commuter out of Heuston, and a regular traveller overseas - several hundred thousand miles.

The point I was making was that, contrary to the post, ON THE GROUND Cork passengers WERE being advised of the alternative of using the 1830, as were those for Thurles and Mallow. Limerick passengers were being directed to the 1900, change at the Junction. The OP claimed otherwise. I was there. I also pointed out that, given the choice, I would wait for the 1900, as I do not know things like train crew diagrams. Indeed, looking at other threads, knowledge of "operational procedures" is outwith this board's remit. See thread on Sligo line breakdown a few weeks ago where this was stated in response to difficulties about getting replacment locos out - along the lines of "The passenger does not need to know this - IE's problem" or words to that effect.

My objection to the post was the "knoww-all" tone of the response, with no idea of the circumstances, and knowledge and experience, of the person making it.

LC
Unread 19-12-2007, 10:24   #11
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laois Commuter View Post

The point I was making was that, contrary to the post, ON THE GROUND Cork passengers WERE being advised of the alternative of using the 1830, as were those for Thurles and Mallow. Limerick passengers were being directed to the 1900, change at the Junction. The OP claimed otherwise. I was there. I also pointed out that, given the choice, I would wait for the 1900, as I do not know things like train crew diagrams. Indeed, looking at other threads, knowledge of "operational procedures" is outwith this board's remit. See thread on Sligo line breakdown a few weeks ago where this was stated in response to difficulties about getting replacment locos out - along the lines of "The passenger does not need to know this - IE's problem" or words to that effect.
Thanks for that, it's most important to get feedback on the ground. To be fair to Mark, he was really only referring to the notice on the IE site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laois Commuter View Post

My objection to the post was the "knoww-all" tone of the response, with no idea of the circumstances, and knowledge and experience, of the person making it. LC
Fair enough. We dont have a dedicated feedback section of the forum, but we welcome feedback such as this.

Let's leave it there lads and lassies, it is Chirstmass after all.

Tom.