Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Rail Users Ireland Canteen
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 26-02-2006, 16:47   #1
Morlan
New to the board

Default Renting the Luas for a movie

I am the producer for a 5 minute student movie. We need to shoot on an empty tram. Can anyone give me some tips on the best way to go about asking RPA/Connex? I don't want to screw it up! Any idea how much it would cost us?

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Morlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-02-2006, 17:52   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

You could get up early on a Sunday and film an empty one as it passes (once you film from a public place no need to inform the RPA)

If you need an interior shot that could be done at the Sandyford or Red Cow depot

Given the service demands you are not going to get a empty tram to yourself during normal hours unless you are willing to shell out cash or the RPA really like you, Sunday would be the only realistic day for that

commercial@rpa.ie would be the best place to start
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-02-2006, 19:35   #3
James Shields

Sunday morning would be very quiet, so you could probably almost have the tram to yourself, and if your takes weren't too long, you could probably almost shoot a scene between stops. Budget: one Luas day pass for each member of cast and crew.

I don't know if permission is needed to film on Luas.

If you need a tram that's guaranteed free of other people, you'll probably have to do it in the depot. I imagine if you write to the RPA (www.rpa.ie for the address) and ask them nicely they should be reasonably accommodating if your demands aren't excessive. If you just want an out of service tram to yourselves for an hour or two, that shouldn't be too much of a problem, but if you want it moving, things could get more difficult (and expensive).
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-02-2006, 09:34   #4
TomB

Default Just don't mention the war

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlan
Can anyone give me some tips on the best way to go about asking RPA/Connex?
You may need to call Ger Hannon, Director of Corporate Services with the RPA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlan
I don't want to screw it up!
Then try to avoid mentioning the words "40m trams", "Platform 11" or "Derek Wheeler" because he tends to get a little hot under the collar...

http://forum.platform11.org/showthread.php?t=238
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-02-2006, 19:47   #5
Derek Wheeler

Morlan

As an ex Film student at the Dun Laoghaire College of Art and Design (I know its called something else now, but I was there many many years ago) , and retired and despondent corporate video man,Ive experience of this as we took over Malahide station for a day in 1991.

Being a student production, you should experience less red tape. First thing to do is ensure that the college will agree your public liability insurance extension. Once you can offer this to the RPA/Connex, it eliminates the main hurdle. Then you need a letter from the Dept. head at your college confirming that you are a legitimate entity with true intentions, along with details of what you're doing. Start by phoning and then backing it all up in writing followed by more confirmation over the phone. Details in other posts like depots, sundays etc will all apply. One further thing to keep in mind is whether or not your shooting on video or film as this will obviously effect your schedule with set up times and the amount of gear your carrying. I assume its video as the good old college days are gone with DV etc.! 16mm was a true test.

Things have obviously moved on as the hardest place I ever had to find as production manager on a Dun Laoghaire graduation film was a pub!

Best of luck.

Last edited by Derek Wheeler : 27-02-2006 at 19:55.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2006, 15:08   #6
Maskhadov
Regular Poster

the first ever luas film. I know once the french got their METRO there was tons of films made on it
Maskhadov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2006, 16:37   #7
James Shields

There was a play in the Gaeity set on a Luas last year.

Presumably they didn't manage to drag a real one down from the Green.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote