Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 29-01-2008, 12:30   #1
Kat
New to the board

Unhappy 18.18 to Longford-regular wait at Enfield

Don't know if anyone else has complained about the wait each evening at Enfield on the 18.18 train to Longford. It sits in Enfield for nearly 15 to 20mins each evening, waiting on train to pass from sligo and i think this is causing the late running of the 19.05 to sligo.

It's getting to boiling point with me, as i get this train regularly.
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-01-2008, 13:09   #2
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Hi Kat,

The train that departs Sligo at 17:00 seems to be holding up a lot of trains in the new timetable.
http://forum.platform11.org/showthread.php?t=3683

I don't know what the solution is but I am just as fed up as you with the delays caused by this train.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-01-2008, 22:12   #3
John J
Regular Poster

With a single-track line it only takes one late departure for the knock-on effects to begin, and before you know it every train on the line is late for the rest of the day.

It seem that to be that the increased frequency on the Sligo line over the past few weeks has served to highlight the inadequacy of the 115 mile single-track section on this route.

There are a few options:
- add more slack to timetables and alienate customers in the process
- take measures to enforce regimental punctuality, e.g. pay-related incentives for staff to ensure punctuality, as seen on the continent (our unions would love that)
- start double tracking strategic sections along the route

The Green Party seem all too enthusiastic to raise the angry torch-bearing mob whenever anyone advocates road transport. Maybe they need to put their money where their mouth is and start throwing more money at our rail infrastructure.
We've got the carriages, but we're still struggling to cover Dublin-Sligo in 3 hours. The journey needs to be cut to a RELIABLE 2:30 or less to seriously compete with road.

Large-scale rail infrastructure investment would also open up opportunities to re-introduce subsidised rail freight... surely this will be economically viable in the context of the EU carbon emissions clampdown.
I wonder what the emissions benefits are of a loco + 12 containers over 130 miles versus 12 lorries?

If we decide this investment cannot be justified, due to lack of population density, political will, whatever - I'd advocate doubling the line as far as Mullingar, closing the line from Mullingar to Sligo and developing motorway / high quality dual-carriageway for the entire Dublin-Sligo route.

Last edited by John J : 29-01-2008 at 22:23.
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-01-2008, 00:02   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There will be no further fanciful talk of non passenger services, this is a passenger forum

The 18:18 is due to wait in Enfield for 5 minutes to allow the 17:00 from Sligo to pass. It has to pass no fewer than 7 other trains on its way making it a real source of trouble

When the 17:00 is replaced with a intercity railcar in coming weeks there will be a significant improvement.

The general lack of urgency in Irish Rail is the real problem

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 30-01-2008 at 00:06.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-01-2008, 05:30   #5
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John J View Post
- take measures to enforce regimental punctuality, e.g. pay-related incentives for staff to ensure punctuality, as seen on the continent (our unions would love that)
One has to strike a balance between punctuality and safety. Although if everyone is punctual, it has its own safety points.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote