Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 14-03-2008, 18:15   #1
kevin
Regular Poster

Angry What was the point?

of putting posters up all over Heuston telling people to reserve their seats because it's a busy weekend.

Why could Irish Rail not hold up their half of the bargain and actually mark the bloody seats?

The 18:25 Heuston->Waterford had no seats marked in the non-First half of carriage A. The reservations in the first class were spotty at best.

Of course there are no yellow shirts to be seen.

Really, what's the point....

regards

kevin

/me peeved at paying 3eur for a reservation only addon.

Last edited by kevin : 14-03-2008 at 18:19. Reason: still peeved.
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-03-2008, 00:53   #2
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

nah, the posters actually tell you that because its a bank holiday weekend you wont get a seat at all.

You know how these bank holiday things are like, brand new and you never know when they're going to happen
Unread 16-03-2008, 23:13   #3
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
/me peeved at paying 3eur for a reservation only addon.
Just book your entire journey rather than an addon and you don't pay anything extra.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-03-2008, 14:50   #4
James Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by tralph View Post
Just book your entire journey rather than an addon and you don't pay anything extra.
But will it make you any more likely to get a seat?
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-03-2008, 20:32   #5
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

On Dublin-Cork and Dublin-Belfast it's pretty likely, other routes it's still a crapshoot (but if you don't get a seat when you've reserved then you're entitled to a refund).
Unread 18-03-2008, 11:20   #6
Donal Quinn

mixed experience with the booking system this weekend
boarded the full 1915 galway->heuston train ccarraige A and saw booking slips above the seat - impressed intil i realised they were from 8th march!!

got the half empty train back on sunday and lo and behold there it was with my name in it - wow

point is that the train that needed the seats marked did't and the train that didn't did!!

there were people sitting in other people's seats on friday - pissed off and everyone having another laugh at crappy IE with their 8th march slips...
Unread 18-03-2008, 11:26   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

For the first time ever I managed a return trip with the electronic displays working in both directions between Dublin and Thurles and I got my seat

Needless to say to was more by luck than by Irish Rail's efforts, no yellow tshirts to be seen and the train hostess decided to hide in the first class coach as is usual

You are entitled to a full refund if you are left standing however Irish Rail aren't terribly vocal about telling you that

Now if you are standing and an hour late do you get 150%?
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-03-2008, 01:22   #8
MOH
Really Regular Poster

Just tried to book seats from Connolly to Carrick on Shannon for tomorrow (Thursday) and got the message 'not allowed with this combination of stations'. Can you not book on the Sligo line?
MOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-03-2008, 09:34   #9
Donal Quinn

Quote:
You are entitled to a full refund if you are left standing however Irish Rail aren't terribly vocal about telling you that
they are als pretty vague on
  • you get a seat but only after standing until sallins
  • you get a seat but it's not the one you booked (point of principle!)
  • you get a seat but it's not with the people you are travelling with although that was the whole reason you booked seats
  • you booked a second class ticket but were assigned a first class seat and then made to move seats half way on your journey??
Unread 23-03-2008, 13:13   #10
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Default Where can't you book to and from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOH View Post
Just tried to book seats from Connolly to Carrick on Shannon for tomorrow (Thursday) and got the message 'not allowed with this combination of stations'. Can you not book on the Sligo line?
Correct. Bookings aren't supported on services that are or may be operated by commuter sets, most journeys involving DARTs, non-cross-border services on the Enterprise unless they include a transfer from Heuston to Connolly, and a few others.

Edit: This one piqued my interest so I did a bit of poking around into the JavaScript validator on the website. I've attached a list of stations that if you type exactly these words into the reservation system on the Iarnród Éireann website, it'll reject it (ALL matches anything). However, typing in a variation on the station name will be enough to defeat the validation and allow a reservation - for example, Waterford to Dublin Connolly rejects, but Waterford to Connolly works, as does Waterford (Plunkett) to Dublin Connolly.

Also to actually get beyond the timetable screen or view the price of your ticket you have to have at least one seat reservation selected - ticket only won't work.

I don't think I need to say how ludicrous this is ;[
Attached Files
File Type: xls List of non-reservable station combinations.xls (19.0 KB, 535 views)

Last edited by Thomas Ralph : 23-03-2008 at 13:36. Reason: Add list of invalid combinations
Unread 28-03-2008, 16:22   #11
MOH
Really Regular Poster

Ah, thanks for that.

I've done a bit of poking around in the site source before, it's a bit of a mess.
I hope they did it internally, because if they paid someone for it they were rippied off.
MOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-03-2008, 16:56   #12
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Was done internally

If you know the station codes you can bypass the javascript and book seats on unbookable journeys
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote