Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Cork
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 02-04-2008, 13:06   #1
laoisfan
Regular Poster

Question Some questions

Hi Mark (or anybody who can help),

Hopefully you can answer my questions.

Q1. Can the steward in charge of 1st class on the Cork trains prevent a person (who is not travelling 1st class) from walking up through 1st class to stand at the carriage door i.e. the person wants to be further up the platform when it arrives into Heuston.

I witnessed a person this morning attempting to walking up through 1st class on the Cork train (arrives into Heuston at 8:25am). The steward attempted to stop them saying that this would annoy passengers travelling 1st class. The person ignored them. I'm just wondering who was right in this situation. Btw the person was not me.

Q2. Are Irish Rail staff allow to sit in 1st class, specifically those who are not actually working on that train but who are using it to get to work i.e. Heuston perhaps or maybe travelling on to Connolly after coming up from say Portlaoise for example. I always wondered about this.

Q3. Right, here is where Mark can perhaps provide the info, if he has it. I live near Ballybrophy train station (approx 2.7 miles away in fact). Ideally I would love to get the train from there everyday. However, I do find myself driving into Portlaoise a lot to get trains from there. Are there any plans to provide additional services (early morning, in the evening also) for Ballybrophy?

A lot of people would like the 1st train from Limerick to stop at Ballybrophy. It stops at Templemore so why not Ballybrophy.

If anyone can provide some answers then cool.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

cheers, laoisfan
Unread 02-04-2008, 15:06   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laoisfan View Post
Q1. Can the steward in charge of 1st class on the Cork trains prevent a person (who is not travelling 1st class) from walking up through 1st class to stand at the carriage door i.e. the person wants to be further up the platform when it arrives into Heuston.
Yes,strictly speaking you are not allowed in first unless you hold a first class ticket

Quote:
Subject to Condition 19.2, standard class ticket holders may only travel in First Class, CityGold or 1st Plus accommodation on payment of the difference between the standard class fare and the First Class, CityGold or 1st Plus fare (as the case may be).
In the UK it is certainly an offence to stand in a first class coach and hold a standard class ticket, the Irish wording clearly states 'travel' so would indicate similar. Note there is a requirement to obey the reasonable instructions of staff at all times.

Quote:
Q2. Are Irish Rail staff allow to sit in 1st class, specifically those who are not actually working on that train but who are using it to get to work i.e. Heuston perhaps or maybe travelling on to Connolly after coming up from say Portlaoise for example. I always wondered about this.
All IE staff have free travel. Staff of a certain grade are entitled to travel first class free, just about everyone in any management or supervisory role has a pass, it seems to cover all head office staff as well. Drivers curiously are good for only standard class. Representatives of the rolling stock manufacturer are frequently issued with passes as well during passenger testing. There have even been labour court cases about staff complaining that they where reduced to standard class only passes when they changed jobs

Quote:
Q3. Right, here is where Mark can perhaps provide the info, if he has it. I live near Ballybrophy train station (approx 2.7 miles away in fact). Ideally I would love to get the train from there everyday. However, I do find myself driving into Portlaoise a lot to get trains from there. Are there any plans to provide additional services (early morning, in the evening also) for Ballybrophy?
There are no service improvements planned for Ballybrophy bar the completion of the introduction 2 hourly Limerick services next year which will fix the massive gaps off peak.
Unread 02-04-2008, 20:24   #3
laoisfan
Regular Poster

Thanks for the prompt reply!!

Good thing I did not get involved in the arguement this morning then with regard to 1st class!! phew!!
Closed Thread