Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Rail Users Ireland Canteen
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-03-2006, 19:51   #1
submarine
New to the board

Default Line Marketing

Does anybody have any opinions about the merit or otherwise of marketing lightly used lines or off peak services on more heavily used lines. I have in mind the practice in the UK and continental countries of giving names to a particular line or service and issuing literature and advertising material to promote the use of services on that line e.g. The Heart of Wales line. The practice seems to have worked in this instance as trains are currently being upgraded from single car to two car consists. The lines I have in mind for this country would be the South Eastern and the Limerick Junction to Rosslare line. Many or all services on both these routes are under used and could do with some selling. Both of these lines are very scenic and would be of great interest to tourists generally and railway enthusiasts in particular due to the signalling set up. Magazine, hotel and other promotions including freedom of line tickets might be a start.
submarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2006, 21:14   #2
Navan Junction
Really Regular Poster

[quote=submarine]Does anybody have any opinions about the merit or otherwise of marketing lightly used lines or off peak services on more heavily used lines.QUOTE]

I was on the Jacobite steam train last summer in the Scottish highlands with my son.

The 'Harry Potter' train went over the Glenfinnan viaduct, really nice trip.

I can't figure out why a similar run to Arklow doesn't happen daily from Bray (If they had a spare working train about).

As far as I know the have 2 working engines on the line, and all trains are booked out right trhough the summer. Bit more commercial than the Seabreeze, but my 6 old son loved it
Navan Junction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2006, 21:32   #3
Derek Wheeler

The lines in the areas you refer to are underused because the services are terrible.

If the current level of service is maintained, then I would agree with you that marketing them as "named" lines and towards the enthuasiast sector would be a way to go. However I think it is a travesty that certain lines are appealing to enthuasiasts because of the "signalling". It was also the case that some lines were appealing due to the type of rolling stock utilised. With the demise of the cravens, this will be somewhat a misnomer from now on. But I take your point completely and I see where you're coming from. I understand how some aspects of our rail network represent an almost museum piece to enthuasiasts from home and abroad and could be marketed in that direction.

My own thoughts would be to modernise every line in Ireland, from a functional and customer point of view and provide services that are representative of the 21st century. Any aretefacts of signalling and rolling stock belong in a rail museum that can showcase them on a piece of operating railway.

In relation to your idea of "branding" certain lines, I agree wholeheartedly that this could still work even if the said line was modernised, purely from the point of view of what the line offers the traveller in terms of historic and scenic interest. The obvious line is Dublin - Wexford. However, this once again relies on the cooperation of IE and in all honesty, they have never displayed much interest in this kind of thing. The utilisation of our rail network from a tourist product point of view tends to rely on the private sector and to a certain extent the preservation sector, who only attract the enthuasiast anyway. Its really up to IE to commit to some serious branding and marketing if your idea was to work. Alas, this kind of "vision" that you have conveyed would more than likely be lost on them.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2006, 03:33   #4
EMD
New to the board

Frequency sells. That and speed. Passengers don't care what a train looks like so long as there are lots of them and they are fast, frequent, reliable and comfortable. That is all the marketing you'll need. (Modern signalling is key, of course.)
EMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2006, 20:06   #5
submarine
New to the board

Default Line Marketing

I hasten to add that the 'Enthusiasts theme' was meant as an 'Interim Measure' on the basis that it would work quickly and probably wont last too much longer as the DSE will be next for resignalling. The scenic/historical interest would be a much longer term business but could be of value in later years. They could also be linked to package holidays from the UK. The number of UK train enthusiasts that I have met who have never been to Ireland is quite amazing. Are you reading this Barry!!
submarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2006, 21:31   #6
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Thread moved as this is not, and will not in the medium term, be a Platform 11 Campaign.
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote