Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > DART
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-05-2008, 12:29   #1
zag
Regular Poster

Default Trains not stopping at Clontarf Road

Apart from the fact that there is an Enterprise a few minutes behind, is there any *good* reason why some DARTs don't stop at Clontarf Road ? It may well be to clear a path for the following train, but given that it doesn't normally arrive for a good 5 minutes, I would have thought it would be possible to schedule a stop without impacting the Enterprise.

I was thinking about this the other day while facing *another* 15 minute (at peak time) wait on the platform as first of all an in-service DART and then an Enterprise passed me by. On the days that I'm at the platform around this time there is normally a quite considerable number of people standing on the platform by the time the non-stop DART goes by, so it's not like they are leaving 1 or 2 people behind.

Can anyone also explain why I regularly face waits of 10+ minutes (quite often 15+) in Clontarf for a southbound DART between 1700 and 1800 when according to the timetable the maximum is 13m and then 11m shortly after 1700, and all other gaps are supposed to be under 10m ? When coming the opposite direction in the AM, I can't remember ever facing anything more than 10m (and normally under 5m) in the period between 0845 and 0915 at Booterstown.

z
zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2008, 14:18   #2
shweeney
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zag View Post
Apart from the fact that there is an Enterprise a few minutes behind, is there any *good* reason why some DARTs don't stop at Clontarf Road ? It may well be to clear a path for the following train, but given that it doesn't normally arrive for a good 5 minutes, I would have thought it would be possible to schedule a stop without impacting the Enterprise.

I was thinking about this the other day while facing *another* 15 minute (at peak time) wait on the platform as first of all an in-service DART and then an Enterprise passed me by. On the days that I'm at the platform around this time there is normally a quite considerable number of people standing on the platform by the time the non-stop DART goes by, so it's not like they are leaving 1 or 2 people behind.

Can anyone also explain why I regularly face waits of 10+ minutes (quite often 15+) in Clontarf for a southbound DART between 1700 and 1800 when according to the timetable the maximum is 13m and then 11m shortly after 1700, and all other gaps are supposed to be under 10m ? When coming the opposite direction in the AM, I can't remember ever facing anything more than 10m (and normally under 5m) in the period between 0845 and 0915 at Booterstown.
This used to annoy me when I worked in East Point and I was faced with a long wait in Connolly in the morning. These Darts generally run non-stop from Connolly to Howth Junction. Of the stations skipped Clontarf is by far the busiest - they could stop there and skip the rest.
shweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2008, 16:13   #3
Colm R
Regular Poster

Perhaps the reason is to solve the problem of over crowding. If a train don't stop, then its not overcrowded
Colm R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2008, 21:01   #4
zag
Regular Poster

Umm, yeah, but then the platform gets overcrowded.

z
zag is offline   Reply With Quote