Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-05-2008, 22:26   #1
awhooley
New to the board

Default Question about using two tickets for one journey..

Just a quick question..

I have a Giant Hop Ticket.. If I want to get a train to Longford, but my Giant Hop Ticket will get me as far as Mullingar, can I purchase a ticket from Mullingar to Longford at Pearse?

Is this Legal?
awhooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2008, 15:24   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Yes you can but be prepared for a clerk who makes it look like a problem

Legal yes since all trains call in Mullingar, done this many times with a monthly ticket its never been a problem
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2008, 20:49   #3
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Does a train have to stop at the changing point to use two tickets on a journey? I know it's like that in GB but I don't think it applies to us. Indeed I have used two separate tickets to get from Belfast to Connolly (split at Dundalk due to faircard restrictions) on the 0800 which only calls at Portadown.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2008, 20:52   #4
awhooley
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Yes you can but be prepared for a clerk who makes it look like a problem

Legal yes since all trains call in Mullingar, done this many times with a monthly ticket its never been a problem
Thanks for the info!!!
awhooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2008, 21:01   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its generally fine, I've done it where the train didn't stop at the point the tickets crossed

Quote:
Except where specially authorised, passengers are not permitted to re-book at an intermediate station for the purpose of continuing their journey by the same train. Two or more tickets covering different portions of one journey are not available unless the fares paid for such tickets are equivalent in amount to the price of a single journey ticket between the same points. Any passenger using two or more tickets covering different portions of one journey will be liable to pay the full ordinary single fare for the journey made and he or she may be liable to prosecution.
Lot hot air about prosecution but if you have a valid ticket for all parts of the journey then its cool, so monthly ticket + anything is never a problem, it is a problem to do single Balbriggan single Drogheda single you are breaking byelaw 6
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 20:13   #6
clockwork orange
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Its generally fine, I've done it where the train didn't stop at the point the tickets crossed

Lot hot air about prosecution but if you have a valid ticket for all parts of the journey then its cool, so monthly ticket + anything is never a problem, it is a problem to do single Balbriggan single Drogheda single you are breaking byelaw 6
Is that because its cheaper than the one ticket yes??? What would be the rules regarding monthly/weekly ticket from Drogheda-Balbriggan and then various short hops. I presume that would also not be allowed as its cheaper.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 21:44   #7
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

I've requested that combination of tickets before (going to Belfast Central) and wasn't stopped.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2008, 16:28   #8
clockwork orange
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tralph View Post
I've requested that combination of tickets before (going to Belfast Central) and wasn't stopped.
The thing is that one person could tell you thats alright and sell you the tickets only for someone at the other end to tell you otherwise. I was just wondering what the rules would be about it.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2008, 16:30   #9
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
The thing is that one person could tell you thats alright and sell you the tickets only for someone at the other end to tell you otherwise. I was just wondering what the rules would be about it.
Generally one can legally rely on clarifications by staff of the details of a contract. The problem with Irish Rail is that things are also covered by bye-laws, which trump contract law. I'll defer to Mark on the nicities.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote