Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-07-2008, 15:11   #1
chuggachuggachoochoo
Regular Poster

Ticket machine is printing Weekly Tickets.

However the card that printed out of the machine had a blank rectangle with a note saying "Write in CIE ID No below in biro'

Valid only with current CIE ID Card

I've been getting the weekly tickets for a while now, without any ID at the counter ( been putting off getting the id card for ages)

Have the rules on weekly tickets be changed? Can staff at Pearse or Connolly stop me and make me buy a single/1 day return journey ticket as I don't have a CIE ID card?
chuggachuggachoochoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2008, 15:21   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

All weekly and monthly tickets have always required a id card. Section 36 http://www.railusers.ie/resources/IE...riage_2004.pdf

You are liable to pay the single fare for the journey if caught or may be fined.

Curiously the ticket vending machine doesn't require you to punch the code in on the screen like it does for student tickets

3 and 7 day point to point tickets do not require a id card

Id cards available in person Dublin Bus on O'Connell Street
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2008, 15:27   #3
markpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Id cards available in person Dublin Bus on O'Connell Street
Better not work a 9-5 or you'll never make it in there. Early risers on Saturdays may apply though

I think some (but not all) of the DB ticket selling shops will also give you ID cards as well.
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2008, 15:32   #4
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post

I think some (but not all) of the DB ticket selling shops will also give you ID cards as well.
I asked in one the shops they had listed on DB website and got a response that they had never heard of it.

Veoila have a simple solution, staff hand out the cards themselves on the Luas and folks just have to write their names and attach picture themselves.

No reason why Irish Rail and DB couldn't do the same.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2008, 15:35   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Luas guys accept the CIE issued cards as well

Veoila don't have a public office, Irish Rail has many tens of offices

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 07-07-2008 at 15:44.
Unread 07-07-2008, 15:41   #6
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:

Veoila don't have a public office, Irish Rail has many tens of offices
Exactly but a rail customer still cannot get a CIE ID from any of them.
It's yet another one of the small issues that passengers must jump through hoops for.
Unread 07-07-2008, 15:47   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Dublin Bus can take your photo digitally so no further expense beyond their 3 euro charge (passport photos are 6 euro a go at the moment) http://www.dublinbus.ie/fares_and_ti...hoto_cards.asp

ID cards are available on production of a passport photo at most booking offices, (reads as intercity only)

If you buy your ticket via ticketmaster they will send out the card you attach the photo.

The only way to get a luas one is to fill in a form, which is only available online. IE and DB will issue it on a walk in basis, customer service desk Connolly and Heuston will handle it while you wait
Unread 07-07-2008, 15:50   #8
markpb

Quote:
The only way to get a luas one is to fill in a form, IE and DB will issue it on a walk in basis
My Luas ID card was issued by the newsagent at the corner of Grafton St & King St. I stuck my own photo under the laminate and walked off, no need to post forms anywhere. The only problem was the staff there weren't sure if it was valid for Luas & Bus tickets since it was a Luas and not a DB ID card.

Edit: Any piece of paper with your photo and a random number which matches the number on your ticket should work if we had any modicum of common sense. A driving license number or passport number should be just as (if not more) acceptable.
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2008, 15:53   #9
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
The only way to get a luas one is to fill in a form, which is only available online. IE and DB will issue it on a walk in basis, customer service desk Connolly and Heuston will handle it while you wait
Ok so it is possible to get a CIE ID card from an Irish Rail station?
Thats not so bad.

As for the Luas ID, you can get it from Veoila staff. I've seen ticket inspectors hand them out to people who have monthly tickets but no ID.
Unread 07-07-2008, 15:54   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post
Edit: Any piece of paper with your photo and a random number which matches the number on your ticket should work if we had any modicum of common sense. A driving license number or passport number should be just as (if not more) acceptable.
Would agree with that, simplest solution.

However legally the CIE and Veoila officials have no right to inspect or retain any id other than that they issue
Unread 07-07-2008, 18:41   #11
chuggachuggachoochoo
Regular Poster

Thanks, I will dispatch myself to O Connell Street ASAP to get a ticket.
Lucky I haven't been asked for ID all this time... I just wished the staff at the counter had've warned me when buying the tickets...been a year doing this now..
chuggachuggachoochoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2008, 19:29   #12
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuggachuggachoochoo View Post
Thanks, I will dispatch myself to O Connell Street ASAP to get a ticket.
Lucky I haven't been asked for ID all this time... I just wished the staff at the counter had've warned me when buying the tickets...been a year doing this now..
Its very unlikely that you will be asked for ID.
I was buying monthly tickets for over a year and even though I had the ID, I was never asked once for it.
Unread 07-07-2008, 22:01   #13
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The rules are you need to have the matching ID

We all know Irish Rail will one morning go on a zero tolerance power trip, so be warned, be prepared.

End of the day there is very little we can do if you get caught in breech of the conditions
Unread 08-07-2008, 11:20   #14
Laois Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hennessy View Post
Ok so it is possible to get a CIE ID card from an Irish Rail station?
Yes. Got mine from Portarlington, friend got his at Portlaoise. Don't need it since I went onto Taxsaver though. I believe all staffed stations stock them, but you do need your own photo.

LUAS checkers do not like new Dublin Bus white ID cards, even though they are valid as ID for LUAS and joint ticket - I had to intervene to stop someone being fined the other day when they ignored the "CIE" in big letters.....

LC
Laois Commuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2008, 14:02   #15
MOH
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
The rules are you need to have the matching ID

We all know Irish Rail will one morning go on a zero tolerance power trip, so be warned, be prepared.

End of the day there is very little we can do if you get caught in breech of the conditions
Indeed. Got grief on the Sligo train recently, gf arrived at Connolly, bought her Weekender ticket, I was running late and rang her and she went back up and bought a second one for me. Ticket inspector on train had an issue with the same ID number being on both tickets, despite me having my own Weekender card with me. Fair enough according to the rules, but did seem a bit pedantic to me. (He kindly agreed to let me off, but warned me that the inspector on the return journey might have an issue and I might want to buy a single.)
MOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2008, 14:37   #16
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

In Toronto you had the option pre-transferable tickets to use a drivers licence rather than TTC ID. However, licences here are credit card sized so they fit well in a double display plastic cover.

It's easy to see whether a transit authority/department of transport is committed to saving the environment or maximising revenue by whether they want passes to be transferable or not - since transferability and easy tax credits, sales of passes in Toronto and offpeak ridership has increased significantly.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2008, 17:29   #17
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
3 and 7 day point to point tickets do not require a id card
The purple and blue ones issued at ticket counters say Valid only with current Photo ID. Although there is never an ID number printed, nor asked for.

Maybe it's a good thing that I was getting off the tram today as the Veolia inspectors were getting on. (My ticket says 7DAY BUS90. LUAS as its ticket type, from Dublin Connolly to Sandymount, but does not have I.F.S. printed.)
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2008, 17:37   #18
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

But it has Luas on it

3 and 7 day don't need ID

To confirm, Sutton, Malahide, Bray, Dun Laoghaire and Pearse all will issue the ID on production of photo