Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 18-07-2008, 12:53   #1
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

Default 22000 Destination!

This morning when I got off the train at Connolly, I saw a 22000 Intercity train displaying Heuston as it's destination. It had come to a complete stop at Platform 3 alongside a 29000 Commuter train at Platform 4. I am just guessing that it used the Phoenix Park Tunnel. If this is the case then the Phoenix Park Tunnel must be in good enough shape to cater for passenger trains. Was this a test run? Also, when I was at Killiney at a later stage, I saw a freight train for the first time in the best part of a decade and a half. It was a few minutes behind the 11:35 Connolly-Gorey service. I boarded the Bray bound train just ahead of this service. I am surprised that I didn't catch sight of the freight train at Connolly. Could it be? Could the Phoenix Park Tunnel be coming back into use?
paddyb180285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-07-2008, 13:06   #2
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

I sincerely doubt it is going to be used any time soon.

This despite a commitment from Irish Rail management to use it at the weekends for services from Kildare.

In Irish Rail management, you are dealing with amongst the most visionless people in the country so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote