Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 24-07-2008, 17:11   #1
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Default First class + seat sale

Can you get a ticket from the seat sale and then get an upgrade to first class, i.e. pay €16+€30? Is this why the supplement went up?

On the IÉ webiste it talks about Citygold and premier? Do these still exist?

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_ticket/ticket_types.asp
Quote:
(1) Citygold Serives are only applicable to the following Cork services 07.00, 08.00 & 17.00 to Cork and 06.30, 07.30 & 17.30 to Dublin Monday to Friday. All other premier services on the Cork and other Intercity routes are first class.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-07-2008, 17:14   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The online discounted tickets are not valid for upgrade to first from what I know

The fare structure was always arranged such that the price of a standard single + the upgrade = first class ticket price

Citygold applies on the trains listed, all other Cork services are first class, very limited first class to Limerick and Galway available currently
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-07-2008, 10:18   #3
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Carriage A on Dublin-Cork is always labelled Citygold; the higher supplement (€35 I think) applies on the above-mentioned trains. The other ones are €20. The service is the same, it's just a different price.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-07-2008, 10:28   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Citygold service is different, a citygold host is available as well as some other services not normally provided.
Unread 29-07-2008, 01:22   #5
JuanPablo
New to the board

Hi, i took advantage of the online offer on discounted tickets and booked Dublin return for E32(first time since i was a kid i took the Dublin Train). I booked with one credit card but used another credit card to pick up the tickets. When you book the tickets it says you can use another credit card to pick them up.

I got to Kent, went to the collection machine, tried using credit card to access tickets no joy, used the number issued with the online booking - no joy!.

There was no no one at the ticket desk (it was the 20:30 train i was getting),the only person on the concourse was the security guard so i asked him what do i do and he pointed at the guy in an IR bib who had just opened the gate to let people on the train and was them making a hasty exit out of the station. I followed after him and he said it doesnt matter, just get on the train no one will check for a ticket. Which they didnt.

I didnt make the return journey and got a bus back instead as i extended my stay in Dublin, but its annoying to think that offically i never collected the tickets, and before i changed my plans i was bracing myself for having to return to Heuston and do some explaining in order to get my return ticket.
JuanPablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-07-2008, 08:32   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Actually under the bye laws you where ok.

The rules are you must have a ticket or be in possession of some class of document which is directly convertible to a ticket, i.e the booking receipt

The train host has a print out of all seat reservations

The credit card must match the name of the booking, if its out by a letter it won't work. There is a problem in Cork, the concept of staffing the station after 8pm doesn't seem to register, you wonder why so much money is being lost
Unread 01-08-2008, 08:34   #7
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

What if you show up at Kent Station at 8:05pm and want a Faircard ticket? The machines don't know what a Faircard is...
Unread 04-08-2008, 02:07   #8
Jferb

Quote:
The online discounted tickets are not valid for upgrade to first from what I know

The fare structure was always arranged such that the price of a standard single + the upgrade = first class ticket price

Citygold applies on the trains listed, all other Cork services are first class, very limited first class to Limerick and Galway available currently
I presume the regular online special-fares aren't upgradeable? For this evening's 18:30 Dublin-Tralee, the system is quoting €74 for a 1st-class single and the usual €33 for a standard-class single. The upgrade fee is €12. And I presume standard-class contract tickets aren't upgradeable either??

Incidentally, on all the 'change at Mallow' services, the 1st-class fare increases to €82, and the upgrade fee to €20, which seems silly given the standard-class fares are the same regardless. (And I don't believe they provide a porter service to transfer one's luggage for that extra €8 either!)
Jferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2008, 02:14   #9
Jferb

Oh, and the price of a 1st-class ticket increases another €5 to €87 for the citygold services (upgrade fee to €25). . .
Unread 04-08-2008, 02:18   #10
Jferb

Oh, as a matter of interest, anyone know when this offer is due to end? Or will we log-on one morning only to find the €16 fares have vanished back into the ether from whence they came?? (Can't find any details on the IE website..)
Unread 04-08-2008, 08:27   #11
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Default Upgrades

Upgrades are valid with DSFA tickets and prepaid contract tickets. They are specifically intended for use with the latter.

My mum had no problem using a ?33 online standard single and a ?20 upgrade to travel in first class last Friday evening.
Unread 04-08-2008, 13:56   #12
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jferb View Post
Oh, as a matter of interest, anyone know when this offer is due to end? Or will we log-on one morning only to find the €16 fares have vanished back into the ether from whence they came?? (Can't find any details on the IE website..)
Possibly. They have extended the other offer though.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2008, 14:07   #13
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Upgrades are valid on all non discounted tickets, so weekender, faircard, student etc are all valid as well as normal singles and returns.

I know on enterprise you can't upgrade to first on a discounted standard class tickets except on Saturday

The 16 euro to Cork will be with us for a long time.
Unread 04-08-2008, 15:13   #14
Jferb

That's true, but I was of the impression that the €33 web-fare single is considered a discounted ticket (from the normal single fare of €62) and so isn't eligible for upgrade. But can anyone emphatically say that these regular web-fare singles can or cannot be upgraded to 1st class?!

If they can, then selling 1st class tickets at the normal price online (say €74) makes no sense at all when the same product can be bought online as 2 tickets at a substantially cheaper price (in this case €55). But then this is IE. . .
Unread 04-08-2008, 15:18   #15
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

It my understanding that only open single or return tickets (those not tied to a reservation) may be upgraded to first class.

The price to buy a say student return then a first class upgrade is the same as buying a student return in first class

On the ground the staff are totally confused as to the situation since the reserved tickets don't have any clear indication on them as to their type, they don't even seem to include such a simple thing as first or standard on the ticket