Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-08-2008, 18:11   #1
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

Default 2009 Timetable!

On another thread, someone mentioned a rumour that there will be a major change from the current timetable coming about in 2009. It was something along the lines of clockface timetabling. What is the meaning of clockface? What will this mean for places like Drogheda, Maynooth and Gorey? Will this have any affect on the DART frequency?
paddyb180285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2008, 23:40   #2
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

clockface means that your train leaves at the same time every hour (or two hours)

with the amount of 22k trains here we should be expecting trains every two hours to and from Limerick for example, all leaving at xx.25 from Heuston, with an extra one at 18.25 in the evening and similar in the morning from Limerick.

same for Dart, suburban rail, but here you are talking about knowing the train will leave every ten, twenty mins starting at xx.00 or xx.05

We have a model optimal timetable. The current timetable, if you saw how it was put together, is not helpfull and IE will soon scrap the entire thing.
Unread 07-08-2008, 07:46   #3
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

In other words, clockface timetabling is where there is a fixed pattern to the timetable of each route. The only route (I know of anyway) that has this method of timetabling is the Connolly-Sligo route. Maybe, the Enterprise has this as well. At the moment, the current timetable on most routes including the DART seems to be quite random with 5 minute gaps here and 25 - 30 minute gaps there. For example (if the rumour is true that is), trains will be pulling up at Dalkey at at a fixed amount of minutes past the hour on peak and the same off peak.
Unread 07-08-2008, 07:54   #4
chris
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyb180285 View Post
Maybe, the Enterprise has this as well.
Enterprise is only clockface on Sunday, and not completely regular
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2008, 08:20   #5
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

Gorey services seem to be restricted to peak times where gaps between services can exceed 5 hours. In other words, there would be three services on peak between 6:00 and 9:00 AM and then there wouldn't be a service until 2:00 PM. If these rumours are true, will this be different in the 2009 timetable?
Unread 07-08-2008, 08:20   #6
ThomasJ

Heuston cork would be a good example of this, on the hour, every hour, until 9pm
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2008, 08:37   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Clockface enterprise is coming, probably ever two hours to start. We know discussions are on going to go hourly, 4 Mk3 sets have been reserved for this
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2008, 08:48   #8
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Getting a train from Gorey to Dublin that leaves at 11am would be good for alot of people, a late morning service, take off the 14.10 & 14.50 separate them maybe 13.30 & 16.00 then the evening services start...
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2008, 11:18   #9
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

KSW, I like what your saying. This would cut the gap into three more equal parts. At present the trains to and from the Gorey area seem to operate in a convoy like manner with massive gaps in between. I wonder if a return service later than the 18:35 will be introduced on the Gorey/Rosslare route? There is a service that gets into Connolly at 9:18 PM from Gorey and terminates there.

This could easily be used as a 9:30 PM return to Gorey/Rosslare as beyond Greystones it would be the only train on the track. Therefore, it could max out it's speed beyond Greystones and arrive at Rosslare at 11:30 - 12:00. If it went as far as Rosslare, it could stay there over night and be used as an extra early morning service to Dublin. It could leave at say 6:45 - 7:00 AM. It would double as a fifth service southbound and a sixth service northbound. This is just a suggestion. NO improvement on infrastrucure would be needed. As well as serving Connolly, Tara Street and Pearse, serving all stations between Bray and Gorey/Rosslare would be a must to give everyone along that stretch of track a chance to get home. Maybe a few stations between Pearse and Bray could be served as well such as Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire, Dalkey and of course Bray itself.

Therefore, people from Gorey or Rosslare could stay in Dublin and do a bit of shopping or drink to unwind after a hard days work. The people from Waterford also seem to be lacking a late night service. A similar situation could apply. Although the bus is another option, the train is a lot more comfortable with more spacious seating, toilets and on board refreshments. I am aware that the bus can do the same journey in a shorter space of time. However, the train journey is more scenic (along the Gorey/Rosslare line anyway. I'm not sure about the Waterford-Heuston line). It would encourage people from the countryside to stay in Dublin longer.

I know that there are certain technicalities. For instance, on another thread I have heard something like "nobody from Rosslare works with Irish Rail" or "there is no train depot in Rosslare". It was something along those lines anyway. I am aware that at a relatively higher 5(south)/6(north) times daily frequency, full time staffing would still be unfeasable. That isn't to say it can't be taken in shifts which correspond to the departure and arrival of services. However, there is a high possibility that the demand mightn't be there for such a late service. Maybe by 2011/2012, this kind of service will be introduced. On the other hand, the lack of a late service could be crippling the demand as people feel forced to leave Dublin early.
Unread 07-08-2008, 11:36   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

We are working on something at the moment which will expose some of the scandalous timetabling choices Irish Rail have made. Don't know what it will be like but potentially could be fun

The lack of staff based in Gorey is the biggest hold up to improved services, the alternative would be even more empty trains moving around wasting yet more money. There are few if any extra trains and no drivers, last thing we want is the 17:35 to Carlow mess repeated again

I can't see a case for a train later than 18:35 to Rosslare, certainly a case for a 22:00 to Gorey.

Irish Rail are all talk about listening but once they commit to something getting them to deliver it is a different game entirely
Unread 07-08-2008, 12:11   #11
ThomasJ

Well if this happens, this is a chance to tidy up some of the messy timetables out there, Maynooth/Clonsilla, an example.

There are actually times during the day where a docklands bound train will arrive 5 minutes before or after a connolly/pearse bound train then a gap of 40 minutes or so! and noone boarding the docklands train! These need to be spread out a bit more!

I was waiting on a DART last Sunday early evening at Killester going citybound, there was a wait of 20 minutes, then 2 DARTs in the space of 10 minutes, then another 20-30 minute gap! madness.

The whole Dublin commuter/DART scene has to be overhauled and drawing from a blank piece of paper is the best way to do it!

Last edited by ThomasJ : 07-08-2008 at 12:25. Reason: wrong direction!
Unread 07-08-2008, 14:29   #12
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
We are working on something at the moment which will expose some of the scandalous timetabling choices Irish Rail have made. Don't know what it will be like but potentially could be fun

The lack of staff based in Gorey is the biggest hold up to improved services, the alternative would be even more empty trains moving around wasting yet more money. There are few if any extra trains and no drivers, last thing we want is the 17:35 to Carlow mess repeated again

I can't see a case for a train later than 18:35 to Rosslare, certainly a case for a 22:00 to Gorey
So it's a case of, there is demand for later train (s) but no staff to cater for it?

22:00 to Gorey sounds good. I know I have mentioned double tracking in other threads. However, I have been told by numerous people that demand isn't there. So, I won't bring that up again. Doing so would be going off topic.

Thomas J, I couldn't agree with you more. Starting from a blank peice of paper is the best way to do it. At the moment the timetable is all over the place. Also, train journey's aren't fixed. By that I mean, some trains along a certain line would serve a lot of stations while the next would serve fewer. I think the journey should be standard. For instance, Dalkey is mentioned as being serviced by the Connolly-Rosslare line on their web site. This is very misleading to those commuting to and from Dalkey as there is only one journey to Rosslare Monday to Saturday with no return journey at all. If Dalkey is mentioned as being catered for by this service it should be standard for all (or most anyway) journeys covering this services.
Unread 07-08-2008, 14:46   #13
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
I know I have mentioned double tracking in other threads. However, I have been told by numerous people that demand isn't there. So, I won't bring that up again. Doing so would be going off topic.
It isn't that its off topic per se, its just that infrastructure related topics are all in the members areas of the forum.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2008, 14:50   #14
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

All I will say in the public area of the forum, is this

Official IE documents we have seen have two tracks from Greystones tunnel 4 through Greystones onwards to Wicklow or so.

Its not a issue the problem on the Rosslare line is not at peak hours its at off peak where the single line issue doesn't really come into play.
Unread 07-08-2008, 15:28   #15
ThomasJ

I preume this will happen for all heuston once the KRP is completed.

Good news re the Enterprise when it goes hourly but what does this mean for Drogheda and Dundalk?
Unread 07-08-2008, 22:58   #16
KSW
Really Regular Poster

[quote=Mark Gleeson;35165certainly a case for a 22:00 to Gorey[/quote]

And I thought 20:00 was pushing it lol

I do think Irish Rail should completely re-do the Rosslare line timetable wise same with Gorey services. 6:00(06:00) 06:45(07:00) 08:50(09:00) (11:00)late morning (13:30)lunch hour 14:10 14:50 (16:00) 18:50 (18:00) 19:23 (20:00) 20:25... The times in red would probably suit alot more people they would me.

Times from Connolly is what I want to see looked at. First train 08:00 which serves Rosslare then maybe 10:30 which travels to Wexford terminates there. Then 13:00 or 13:30 to Rosslare, Then I would personally like a 15:30 which goes to Wexford then 17:30 to Rosslare and then a 19:00 or 19:30 to Rosslare there you have to evening trains to Rosslare then following morning operate as say 06:00 Rosslare to Dublin calls at 07:00 aslike above then another at 8am which is the 09:00 it just gets tricky afterwards train leaves dublin at 8am but arrives into Rosslare say 10:30 but there is a train that leaves gorey at 11am.. Tricky LOL
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2008, 12:34   #17
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

I have heard that the Dublin Transport Authority are going to be established in January 2009. I am wondering if they are going to have any affect (major or minor) on next years train timetable?
Unread 08-08-2008, 13:24   #18
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

None at all in 2009, DTA will have some control over timetabling but mainly appears to have power to contract alternative companies to provide the service if IE fail to make target

Reason it has to be 22:00 is since the train set has to be in Dublin to go back
Unread 08-08-2008, 16:10   #19
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
None at all in 2009, DTA will have some control over timetabling but mainly appears to have power to contract alternative companies to provide the service if IE fail to make target

Reason it has to be 22:00 is since the train set has to be in Dublin to go back
All of this time, I thought there was no demand for a train to Gorey past 7 o'clock. I suppose the lack of staff would filter off a lot of potential clientelle and therefore cripple the demand for these services.

Anyway, getting back to the main topic. As a city, Galway is subject to a very poor frequency. It could do with at least two more evening Dublin bound services with the last service at roughly 9:30. Also, an extra Heuston-Galway service or two in the evening wouldn't be a bad idea either. Galway, as well as Belfast should have the same frequencies as Cork due to their extremely popular nature. I would like to see both Heuston-Limerick and Heuston-Waterford being made hourly on peak and two hourly off peak and see the last train at either end of each stretch leaving somewhere between 9 and 10 in the evening. With Sligo, I would like to see an extra evening service at each end of the journey at the said time too.
Unread 08-08-2008, 22:21   #20
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyb180285 View Post

Anyway, getting back to the main topic. As a city, Galway is subject to a very poor frequency. It could do with at least two more evening Dublin bound services with the last service at roughly 9:30. Also, an extra Heuston-Galway service or two in the evening wouldn't be a bad idea either. Galway, as well as Belfast should have the same frequencies as Cork due to their extremely popular nature. I would like to see both Heuston-Limerick and Heuston-Waterford being made hourly on peak and two hourly off peak and see the last train at either end of each stretch leaving somewhere between 9 and 10 in the evening. With Sligo, I would like to see an extra evening service at each end of the journey at the said time too.
You've more or less got what's planned in one, but Galway wont be hourly.