Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-10-2008, 16:03   #1
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

Default Maynooth Line Lack of Frequency

A couple of days ago I began a thread. Everything was going hunky dorey. It was entitled Maynooth Electrification. What happened to it? Did I get too technical? If so, I appologise.

Last edited by Mark Hennessy : 09-10-2008 at 20:23.
paddyb180285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 16:14   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

It is agreed policy that the public area of the forum are dedicated solely to customer service matters. The here and now

Technical and engineering matter are moved to the members area, some in the past have scared away passengers.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 20:20   #3
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

Okay. I wont get technical again on that issue. Could we continue it as Maynooth lack of frequency? That way it will neither be too technical nor infrastructural! It would just be purely customer service based.
Unread 09-10-2008, 20:26   #4
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyb180285 View Post
Okay. I wont get technical again on that issue. Could we continue it as Maynooth lack of frequency? That way it will neither be too technical nor infrastructural! It would just be purely customer service based.
I've changed the thread title, now about the lack of frequency to Maynooth.

I think something to aspire to is trains every 10-12 mins at peak and 20-25 mins off peak. Unlikely to get that though.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 20:39   #5
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hennessy View Post
I've changed the thread title, now about the lack of frequency to Maynooth.

I think something to aspire to is trains every 10-12 mins at peak and 20-25 mins off peak. Unlikely to get that though.
I wonder What is clonsilla etc likely to see off peak when dunboyne comes into play in 2010.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2008, 10:08   #6
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

it'll be the same roughly, I'd say a proportion will peel off and go to Dunboyne, in the same way howth lost out to malahide
Unread 10-10-2008, 10:13   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Plan is train every 15 minutes peak Maynooth, same to Dunboyne, making 8 per hour through the Clonsilla - Broombridge section

Off peak every 30 minutes to both
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008, 14:49   #8
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

That pretty much gives all stations to Clonsilla the same frequency as the DART. If this were the case, Dublin Bus could scrap some of the routes coming from town in that direction in favour of scheduled feeder buses. This would be far more effective in terms of both frequency and reliability, either from Castleknock or Clonsilla stations or possibly both. One of these stations could become the Fingal equivalent of Dun Laoghaire station where the feeder buses could become akin to that of the 46A feeder bus. The buses would be five minutely on peak and quarter hourly off peak.

Also, some trains serving Maynooth skip Castleknock. These are Commuter services and not Intercity services. In other words their last stop is Maynooth. I know that the 22K's go to Sligo. So fair enough, they would have to go non-stop to Maynooth. In essence, Commuter services that go as far as Maynooth are stand ins for the DART. Correct me if I'm wrong. At the moment, the roads around the Castleknock, Clonsilla, Blanchardstown and Damastown area are bottlenecks. A high frequency bus and Commuter interchange in the area should reduce this bottleneck significantly. I was on the 38 coming from town last week and it spent 40 minutes in Castleknock alone. Therefore, the area is in desperate need of a make over in terms of traffic arrangements including a very frequent Commuter service even if it means starting some of these services from Bray.
Unread 13-10-2008, 09:38   #9
ThomasJ

An interesting point Paddy!

Traffic is an absolute nightmare around Dublin 15 at the moment! The N3 is bumper-to-bumper after 7 most workday mornings past Blanchardstown.

Worth mentioning that I travelled home on either the 21:00 or 21:55 ex Pearse every day monday to saturday last week and the 19:30 last night and on each occasion there was little if any seats left on the train! In all cases it was a 4-coach and Monday to friday there were 10-15 people standing in each coach.

I think whatever the case of the peak services the off-peak services are doing well! (even sunday!)

Last edited by ThomasJ : 13-10-2008 at 09:45.
Unread 13-10-2008, 12:10   #10
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

4 Coach? What time was this now? I saw a 4 coach CAF 29000 series used on peak (around 7:20 in the morning) en route to Castleknock this morning and low and behold there was about 40 people standing on each carriage!. This is absolutely disgraceful. Irish Rail really need to invest in a hell of a lot more carriages if that is how lacking they are.
Unread 13-10-2008, 12:21   #11
Trampas
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
4 Coach? What time was this now? I saw a 4 coach CAF 29000 series used on peak (around 7:20 in the morning) en route to Castleknock this morning and low and behold there was about 40 people standing on each carriage!. This is absolutely disgraceful. Irish Rail really need to invest in a hell of a lot more carriages if that is how lacking they are.
The 7.20 through castlekock (Enfield to Pearse) is 99% a 8 carriage.

Get it myself.

The 7.40 is always a 4 carriage
Trampas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-10-2008, 12:43   #12
ThomasJ

Quote:
4 Coach? What time was this now?
This was a mix of the 9pm Pearse Maynooth and the 9.55pm Pearse Maynooth. Each day I was on those trains loadings were really good. I'm working late again this week so It'll be interesting to see what loadings on the late trains will be like.

I completely agree regarding the peak hour trains, Maynooth passengers were promised 8-coaches on all peak hour services. This won't happen it'll probably be 6-coach/8-coach once the new Rosslare timetable kicks.

The main point i'm making the off-peak services are doing well as are the weekend services! good to see!
Unread 13-10-2008, 12:44   #13
finnyus

Hi all (first post on RUI),

I am living in Cork, and when I go to Croker I normally go to Maynooth and get a train to Drumcondra. Its handy. I have always been met by an 8 piece 29000. The one thing I have noticed is how slow it travels into the city, even if its not crowded.

Are there any plans to upgrade the speed as well? What's the average travel time? 40mins? Seems a bit mad for the distance involved. I know there are manual level crossings on the line, so that might have something to do about it, but there are some bigger manual crossings on the Cork-Dublin line around Charleville with 100mph running.

Back in August I travelled to Carrig-on-Shannon on the Sligo line from Connolly. We were late leaving Connolly, but we actually bombed it all the ways. I was in shock with the speed the 29000 class were doing. Thanks to the padded timetable we arrived in Carrig 2 minutes early.

Apologies if I have been too technical in my posting, I just always wondered why the speeds were so slow on the Maynooth line.

F.
finnyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-10-2008, 12:49   #14
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

Quote:
I completely agree regarding the peak hour trains, Maynooth passengers were promised 8-coaches on all peak hour services. This won't happen it'll probably be 6-coach/8-coach once the new Rosslare timetable kicks.
How will the new Rosslare timetable affect the frequency of the Maynooth line?
Unread 13-10-2008, 12:51   #15
ThomasJ

Quote:
How will the new Rosslare timetable affect the frequency of the Maynooth line?
The trains coming off the Rosslare line when the 22ks are introduced are meant to be allocated to the Maynooth line.
Unread 13-10-2008, 12:55   #16
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
The trains coming off the Rosslare line when the 22ks are introduced are meant to be allocated to the Maynooth line.
Will this be an improvement or a reduction in frequency on both lines?
Unread 13-10-2008, 13:05   #17
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnyus View Post
Hi all (first post on RUI),

I am living in Cork, and when I go to Croker I normally go to Maynooth and get a train to Drumcondra. Its handy. I have always been met by an 8 piece 29000. The one thing I have noticed is how slow it travels into the city, even if its not crowded.

Are there any plans to upgrade the speed as well? What's the average travel time? 40mins? Seems a bit mad for the distance involved. I know there are manual level crossings on the line, so that might have something to do about it, but there are some bigger manual crossings on the Cork-Dublin line around Charleville with 100mph running.

Back in August I travelled to Carrig-on-Shannon on the Sligo line from Connolly. We were late leaving Connolly, but we actually bombed it all the ways. I was in shock with the speed the 29000 class were doing. Thanks to the padded timetable we arrived in Carrig 2 minutes early.

Apologies if I have been too technical in my posting, I just always wondered why the speeds were so slow on the Maynooth line.

F.
Hi Finnyus, welcome to the board!

You raise a good question re. speeds on the line I reckon it could be either down to the outdated signalling on the line or that with there being increased number of trains on the line on match days, it could be just a queue!

Re. the Sligo train, there is a 20 minute gap on the Maynooth line to give way to the Sligo train, to enable the Sligo train a quick journey connolly-maynooth without any obstacles? while it is a good thing it does affect the Maynooth line in particlar between 4.40 and 5.15 there are no Maynooth commuter services.

There is nothing wrong with being too technical if it affects journey times!

Last edited by ThomasJ : 13-10-2008 at 13:08.
Unread 13-10-2008, 13:05   #18
ThomasJ

Quote:
Will this be an improvement or a reduction in frequency on both lines?
An improvement I hope!
Unread 21-10-2008, 09:51   #19
ccos

I was in Mullingar recently great new train and bang on time on the way up, all the furriners with me were impressed.
What wasn't impressive though was the 2 hr wait for a train to go back to dublin because we missed the one we wanted to get.

When are they going to rename the station "Mullingar Dolan"
ccos is offline   Reply With Quote