Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 07-01-2009, 10:20   #1
KSW
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rosslare Line
Posts: 600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The lack of a service after 7pm is disgraceful and it is one of the reasons Irish Rail is losing passengers they are not meeting the needs and expectations of the public. Rosslare suffers
And don't I know it
Although I don't live in Gorey on the Rosslare line anymore I am really interested in what IE are planning for the line. Splitting Maynooth/Drogheda away from Rosslare Europort services.

This coming July will be 5 years since Rosslare had an InterCity train to run its 3 daily services. Some people like the 2800 class on the route but I'm not one of them. The Rosslare Europort line will hopefully be getting 5 daily services each way with the new 22k trains. I was traveling from Gorey the other day and to waste time by seating on the 2800 class train I came up with, The first 4 trains leaving Dublin will be InterCity then 2 commuter services followed by the last Intercity service. I thought it might be wise to have Rosslare, Wexford, Rosslare, Wexford, Gorey, Gorey, Rosslare keep it in a pattern. Its something that might give IRISH RAIL the right direction ->

07.10-Rosslare
10.30-Wexford
13.10-Rosslare
15.30-Wexford
17.00-Gorey
18.00-Gorey
19.10-Rosslare- For the last service might change to 19.30- 1hr30mins after the 18.00 Gorey service give the two services some space time wise..

I think IE are gonna have to use less padding and reduce journey times. The only reason I can see that IE use so much padding is because all commuter trains will arrive in the city center no later than 15mins of the published time

I personally think IE have to impress the Rosslare line customers with a better service this coming May

Here's to IE making an impression on Rosslare/Calafort Ros Lair.
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2009, 13:11   #2
sublimity
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dublin
Posts: 306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSW View Post
Some people like the 2800 class on the route but I'm not one of them. The Rosslare Europort line will hopefully be getting 5 daily services each way with the new 22k trains. .
I can assure you there are plenty of people that don't like the 2800 class on the Rosslare line!

I now doubt very much that there will be 5 services to Rosslare this year (hopefully I'm wrong) with the cutbacks etc.

I think the main priority for IE is to put the 22k's into service from May thus restoring it as an Intercity line. That should be their number one New Years Resolution!

I like your version of the new timetable. It makes good sense
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2009, 21:25   #3
Traincustomer
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ar an traein
Posts: 574
Default ferry connections

That's an interesting timetable though ferry passengers will suffer unless there is a connection (I'm referring to the evening Stena Line sailing at 2115 to Fishguard) And it would be disappointing for the connection to be abolished seeing as for several years it was impossible to connect with the ferry as the evening train from Dublin arrived too late. Perhaps a Waterford - Wexford - Gorey service? Though in the present economic situation the main thing is to hold onto the existing service. Many may say "so what" about the ferry passengers but the traditional rail sea package still has a lot to offer and there's scope for it to be promoted much more.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2009, 22:47   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer
 
Mark Gleeson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coach C, Seat 33
Posts: 12,568
Default

We have had to delete post, as it was of no relevance to the thread subject. Once again this is a forum for passenger issues.

Please stay on topic, use the search function to find past threads on the subject or create a new thread.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2009, 23:09   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer
 
Mark Gleeson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coach C, Seat 33
Posts: 12,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavanrailbus View Post
That's an interesting timetable though ferry passengers will suffer unless there is a connection (I'm referring to the evening Stena Line sailing at 2115 to Fishguard) And it would be disappointing for the connection to be abolished seeing as for several years it was impossible to connect with the ferry as the evening train from Dublin arrived too late. Perhaps a Waterford - Wexford - Gorey service? Though in the present economic situation the main thing is to hold onto the existing service. Many may say "so what" about the ferry passengers but the traditional rail sea package still has a lot to offer and there's scope for it to be promoted much more.
There has been a collapse in foot passengers over the last few years, its nothing like the 1980's when several hundred passengers travelled by train to/from the ferry daily. Blame or thank Ryanair for ending the over priced Aer Lingus/BA/BMI operation.

The timetable is dictated by demand which is directed to Dublin, the times must make sense at the Dublin end, its unlikely someone in Dublin will travel via Rosslare, since its easier/cheaper go via Holyhead. The other angle is why don't the ferry companies change there times, there has been a 18:35 Connolly Rosslare for at least the last 35 years

The real problem is if the ferry is late, in the 21st century the train can't wait since it would effect many many more people up the line leaving them late for work, in the old days it wasn't a problem, then again the bulk of passengers where from the ferry in the 1980's.

The emerging timetable is to keep long distance out of the peak hours, so the last train to Rosslare would become sometime after 7pm. People are crying out for a later service, anything even 5 minute later than current is a help

Where the business is south Tipp, Waterford, Wexford. Plans are afoot, well they where for a train every two hours via Waterford which would address the issue at hand without a problem.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 11:36   #6
KSW
Really Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rosslare Line
Posts: 600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavanrailbus View Post
That's an interesting timetable though ferry passengers will suffer unless there is a connection (I'm referring to the evening Stena Line sailing at 2115 to Fishguard) And it would be disappointing for the connection to be abolished
I was betting someone would say this about the ferry connection. I dont want anybody to think I know it all I just have seen the potential the Rosslare line has to offer. The 17.00 Gorey Commuter train would extend to Rosslare arriving at 20.00 giving time for the sailing. This train could also operate the fist following morning service (i.e) 05.30 then Intercity the rest of the day. Except the 17.00 down to Rosslare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
We have had to delete post, as it was of no relevance to the thread subject
Sorry about that Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
The timetable is dictated by demand which is directed to Dublin, the times must make sense at the Dublin end, its unlikely someone in Dublin will travel via Rosslare, since its easier/cheaper go via Holyhead. The other angle is why don't the ferry companies change there times, there has been a 18:35 Connolly Rosslare for at least the last 35 years

The emerging timetable is to keep long distance out of the peak hours, so the last train to Rosslare would become sometime after 7pm. People are crying out for a later service
I see what you mean Mark, If a train left Rosslare at (i.e)05.30 and arrived in Dublin at 08.30 it must make the available next Dublin/Rosslare departure say 10.30 giving the train time to rest for the journey back down the route same as if the train terminated in Wexford.

The 18.35 has been the same for 35yeras thats why to me its time to change literally the face of Rosslare Intercity services A 19.30 evening is perfect there is space from the 18.00 Gorey train.

I was just thinking of your last phrase "emerging timetable is to keep long distance out of peak hours" Thats why I came up with 15.30 to Wexford then Gorey Commuter services then 19.30 out of peak hours as the last Intercity srvice to Rosslare. Just one question would people use the last late service to say Wexford as the last stop. I think if this was to happen then the journey times would have to be reduced from Dublin to Wexford from the best jounrey time which is the 13.05 arrives at 15.27 = 2hr22mins to 2hr10mins. I hope IE make the Rosslare line a good IC service because even if a person like myself who can think of reducing times and giving different departure times then IE have no excuse

http://railusers.ie/forum/showthread...0608#post40608
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 13:35   #7
ThomasJ
Member
 
ThomasJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Clonsilla
Posts: 2,805
Default

My thinking on this subject as pointed out before is:

07:30 Connolly Rosslare
10:30 Connolly Rosslare
13:30 Connolly Rosslare
16:30 Connolly Rosslare
17:30 Connolly Gorey
18:30 Connolly Gorey
19:30 Connolly Rosslare

Throw one or two wexford/gorey services in the afternoon, the advantages of keeping it this way is:

- The two six coach 2800s (in my opinion will be the higher capacity) can be retained for the busy peak out evening commuter services
- This also meens the afternoon trains to Maynooth can be retained (returning maynooth to wexford/gorey)
- Minimum disruption of connolly station and the southside DART area during the peak hours
- A balanced daily timetable service for rosslare
- Hourly services to gorey/wexford in the evening peak hour
- and a later service
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 13:46   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer
 
Mark Gleeson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coach C, Seat 33
Posts: 12,568
Default

Thats broadly what its going to be like

However its likely that there will only be 3 return services to Rosslare daily and 2 to Wexford only. The 2800 fleet will cover the peak services to/from Gorey
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 21:48   #9
Traincustomer
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ar an traein
Posts: 574
Default Ferry-train connections at Rosslare Europort

Apologies firstly but I was just making a point and wished also to clarify the suggested timetable put forward by KSW not criticize it.
While I agree that the central corridor sea route, Dublin or Dún Laoghaire to Holyhead is easier and faster to a considerable extent it is not exclusively so.
The journeys referred to were to South Wales - I don't wish to specify exact locations as that would invade family privacy. Especially now since the December 2008 (UK) timetable revamp which has seen major changes to the North Wales rail services there is no longer an "early hours" connection out of the ferry from Dublin. Therefore Rosslare offers the only realistic overnight alternative as there is still the time-honoured 0150 ex Fishguard Harbour. For many locations in South Wales travelling via Rosslare offers a satisfactory if not preferable option.
Naturally I take onboard that train timings have to focus significantly on flows to/from Dublin but the rail-ferry traffic should also be actively facilitated.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-07-2009, 21:57   #10
ThomasJ
Member
 
ThomasJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Clonsilla
Posts: 2,805
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
My thinking on this subject as pointed out before is:

07:30 Connolly Rosslare
10:30 Connolly Rosslare
13:30 Connolly Rosslare
16:30 Connolly Rosslare
17:30 Connolly Gorey
18:30 Connolly Gorey
19:30 Connolly Rosslare

Throw one or two wexford/gorey services in the afternoon, the advantages of keeping it this way is:

- The two six coach 2800s (in my opinion will be the higher capacity) can be retained for the busy peak out evening commuter services
- This also meens the afternoon trains to Maynooth can be retained (returning maynooth to wexford/gorey)
- Minimum disruption of connolly station and the southside DART area during the peak hours
- A balanced daily timetable service for rosslare
- Hourly services to gorey/wexford in the evening peak hour
- and a later service
not a bad guess eh ? Except for the last service which should be happening !
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2009, 12:02   #11
Graham W
New to the board
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wexford
Posts: 10
Default

Why is there a 12.05 service to Arklow? I don't see the point really when there's a 10.30 and a 13.30 to Rosslare
Graham W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2009, 20:55   #12
ciaram
New to the board
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham W View Post
Why is there a 12.05 service to Arklow? I don't see the point really when there's a 10.30 and a 13.30 to Rosslare
I'm guessing it's for the Irish railtours outings to Rathdrum
ciaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2009, 19:02   #13
finnyus
Member
 
finnyus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cork City/Midleton/Mallow
Posts: 211
Default

Is there any legitimacy to this timetable:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attac...6&d=1249155428

finnyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2009, 19:24   #14
ThomasJ
Member
 
ThomasJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Clonsilla
Posts: 2,805
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnyus View Post
Is there any legitimacy to this timetable:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attac...6&d=1249155428

this document surfaced on the 'new timetable ' thread on the general irish rail board here a couple of days ago.

You can find it there in post 42 [apologies for the lack of link am posting from my phone ]

by the looks of it layout etc it looks fairly accurate to me . Pity !
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 19:49.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.