Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 27-05-2006, 10:55   #1
Maynooth_Line
Regular Poster

Default [25-5-2006] Signal Passed at Danger

There was approximately a 15/20 minute delay on Thursday 25th. As the 7:22 train from Maynooth to Connolly was approaching the level crossing at Ashtown the driver went through a danger signal (the gates were open and the driver still stopped well before the level crossing). After a minute or so he moved forward and pulled up at the platform. He announced what had happened and said he couldn't move the train until another driver came out or he got clearance to move the train and that we'd probably be stuck there for 15 minutes or so.

A few minutes after 8 the train left Ashtown and continued to Connolly. I suspect there was minor knock on delays as a result on the trains following.

While nobody is happy when they are delayed it did make a huge difference that the driver informed everyone of what had happened and gave an idea of how long we'd be delayed for.
Maynooth_Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-05-2006, 08:46   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

This is quite worrying, for all the cab signalling gadets to still miss a signal, OK it stopped within the safety overlap (~200m) . Can't use the leaf fall excuse or the got lost in the dark excuse

Of course it might not be the drivers fault, signals can go to red for any number of reasons still though the on train black box will explain all.

Looks like proceedure followed exactly correctly but still such an incident should not happen in the first place, its all well and good saying you were kept informed but prevention is better than cure
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-05-2006, 18:58   #3
Maynooth_Line
Regular Poster

Obviously it would be a lot better if things like this didn't happen.

I mentioned the fact that we were told what happened as an aside - just cause we were told what happened obviously doesn't make it ok. It does make a delay more bearable though. I've often been on trains from Maynooth which stop for ages as they're approaching Connolly just before the line joins up with the northern line. You can be left sitting there for up to 10 minutes or even more on occasion and not a word from the driver explaining or apologising for the delay.

That kind of thing drives me mad – it costs IE nothing to explain or apologise for a delay yet most of the time you hear nothing from the driver. There should be some guideline issued (that’s if there isn’t already one) to all drivers that announcements should be made when a train is stopped unexpectedly for more than a minute or two.
Maynooth_Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-05-2006, 20:01   #4
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Being told I think is great. I hate being stuck and not knowing why. You have no idea how much longer....

Being told is great and it something I wish Irish Rail drivers would do more often. The simplest customer service can make all the difference.
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-05-2006, 20:40   #5
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
You can be left sitting there for up to 10 minutes or even more on occasion and not a word from the driver explaining or apologising for the delay.
Happens more often than not. Of course knowing the reason you are stuck there ( usually a north-south movement taking place ) doesnt make the 5-10 stationary view of the North inner city any more bearable.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-05-2006, 21:50   #6
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by markh
Happens more often than not. Of course knowing the reason you are stuck there ( usually a north-south movement taking place ) doesnt make the 5-10 stationary view of the North inner city any more bearable.
True. But I meant in places where the stop isn't almost expected.
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-05-2006, 09:59   #7
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Well, that depends on exactly where you are stuck. If I lived around there I'd have my bedroom windows painted over, if you know what I mean.
Unread 30-05-2006, 10:15   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

There are a few spots you end up stopped at for a while, they are well known and the reason why is also well known, I get stuck outside Lansdowne Rd regularly everyone knows its either the level crossing or a train 50m ahead

On the trek back from Thurles last week we pulled up at Ballybrophy (actually a field 300m away), 3 minutes later PA wakes up and informs us clearly what is going on, it was advertised engineering works no worries

I have to say the intercity operation tends to be quite forthcoming with a timely PA with useful information which is made the more impressive as the driver has to tell the guard who tells the train.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-05-2008, 12:47   #9
gm101
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
This is quite worrying, for all the cab signalling gadets to still miss a signal, OK it stopped within the safety overlap (~200m) . Can't use the leaf fall excuse or the got lost in the dark excuse

Of course it might not be the drivers fault, signals can go to red for any number of reasons still though the on train black box will explain all.

Looks like proceedure followed exactly correctly but still such an incident should not happen in the first place, its all well and good saying you were kept informed but prevention is better than cure
i must correct you on this but all the procedures were not followed if the train spaded a signal it must remain in the place were it stopped the train
cannot move to a platform unless permission was given which means it was a tech spad and the overlap is 220yards
gm101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-05-2008, 14:00   #10
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm101 View Post
the overlap is 220yards
200m = 218.73 yards

Now is that measured to the buffers, the front of the cab, the window, the drivers seat? Is the distance between the buffer and the driver's seat identical across all locos and DMUs? We are talking a full 1.27 yards (1.15m) here.

The point was that after the SPAD, procedure was followed. No usually good, but for all we now the red light came on within the minimum stopping distance.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 25-05-2008 at 14:03.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote