Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 19-12-2005, 12:53   #1
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Default Special seats for Bags

Getting the train to Dublin on Saturday from Templemore I noticed that around half of the seats in my carraige were being filled by people's bags. Not big samsonite luggage ones but backpacks and carrier bags. There was nothing - at all- on the overhead rack. People were moving through the carriage looking for seats at every stop. Surely the ticket collector should ask everyone to shove their bags up on the racks when moving through the train. This is as bad as the usual not getting up for old or pregnant passangers.....
Thomas J Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-12-2005, 13:20   #2
ThomasS

Train staff are employeed to make announcements telling passengers to remove bags from seats during busy services. Ticket collectors should likewise do the same if people are standing while there are bags on on seats.

You should really make a report of this or send a letter to your local paper. IE staff are generally not pro-active in such matters (although some I have seen are great and do perform professionally in such instances) and nearly always have to be supervised.

I think all IE staff from cleaners to ticket collectors to train drivers to Dick Fearn should all wear an ID badge with their name clearly typed so that "customers" of the rail network can mention by name the individual, if they are slacking off or doing a great job when providing feedback.

When Inter-City trains pull out of the main departure stations, just like on aircraft the name of the train driver and train staff should be clearly stated. The same should happen if there is a crew change enroute. Inter-City services should have the same customer standards as the airline industry (in fact, higher if they want Inter-City rail to survive after the motorway projects are completed).

Last edited by ThomasS : 19-12-2005 at 13:23.
Unread 19-12-2005, 16:25   #3
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

I have found school kids particularily bad for this. On the 46A I know all the schools. If the bus is busy, I target a school kid, who I know will be off soon, with his bag on the seat. This way I know when I will get a window (I'm childish I know ) and it annoys a seat hogger.

Paul: 1
Society: Several million.
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-12-2005, 16:42   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Everytime I've left Heuston in the recent past the announcement is done before departure and the train checked over. Can't fault the actions of staff many of whom have directed arriving passengers to where seats exist

If the seat has a bag its a simple case of asking it be moved, there is plenty of luggage rack space, its the Irish attitude of not to stand up for ourselves which is the issue you have no one but yourself to blame if you are standing since you where too chicken to ask someone to move a bag
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-12-2005, 16:45   #5
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson
If the seat has a bag its a simple case of asking it be moved, there is plenty of luggage rack space, its the Irish attitude of not to stand up for ourselves which is the issue you have no one but yourself to blame if you are standing since you where too chicken to ask someone to move a bag
That is a good point. Staff should instruct people to move their bags however "mummy" can't fight all your battles.
Unread 20-12-2005, 11:43   #6
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Default Mummy!!

I agree with you both, but the problem is one of passenger attitude on both side, those sitting and those looking for a seat. It was just that there were so many of them last Saturday and I kept an eye on it all the way in and you know I think most of the people going through the carraiges assumed that the bags were left there when people were going to the jax or the bar or whatever and assumed they were taken.
Unread 20-12-2005, 12:08   #7
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

People will often say there is someone sitting in a seat when there is not. It's always worth picking a target seat and when the person isn't back after X minutes just taking the seat.
Unread 28-01-2006, 15:15   #8
GavinG
Regular Poster

Lightbulb Its the small changes that can make a big difference !

On the Sligo services i have been on there is always an announcement before the train leaves Sligo and a few times enroute to get people to move their bags off seats. So i have to hand it that one staff member. Although i have noticed its always the same guy who makes these announcements and after a crew change in Longford or whereever there are no more announcments made unless a standing passenger makes a complaint to the on-board staff, in which case he has been prompted to make the announcement, which aint good. Add to the fact that the train fills up big time from Longford on. Its this type of inconsistency that has plagued IE for years. A couple of the "i dont care brigade" undos the good work of the one guy who has some pride in his job!

Again it comes down to standards - After every stop the same announcement should be made eg :

"We would like to welcome passengers joining us at Longford, this is the 13.00 service to Dublin Connolly serving stations ....... Estimated arrival time in Dublin is 14.45. There is a restaurant car towards the back of the train. We would ask all passengers to ensure that baggage is not left on seats as to allow adequate seating for boarding passengers. Smoking is strictly forbidden on this train and all IE services. Passengers found smoking in between the carriages will be prosecuted. Thank you for travelling with IE we hope you enjoy your journey with us today"

That type of announcement should be made on EVERY IC service when the train stops at stations. IE need to stop treating passengers like they dont exist and up their customer service game bigtime. This is something that wont cost a penny so they have no excuses.

I think this type of demand for customer service improvement should come from the top down. Yer man Dick Fearn should be insisting this type of thing happens. God sake its the least he could do for his big fat paycheck. Does he even go on his own trains to check out the service level ?????
GavinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2006, 08:24   #9
Navan Junction
Really Regular Poster

Angry

I was on the 13.40 to Westport (we were going to Portarlington) with wife and son.

Walked most of the length of the train but all tables were taken and at least 2 people sitting at them.

No problem there from the fact every unused seat at each table along the length of the whole train had bags, cases etc littered across them.

Finally, towards the end of the train we came to a table which had a woman and 3 large bags sitting there.

By this stage I was really annoyed with the the unbelievable practice of blocking seats so noone else can sit down and simply told the woman that we'd paid for the seats and did she need help in shifting the bags.

They were on the racks within 2 minutes. I've heard about this bags on seats stuff - it's unbelievable that IÉ let it go on. If a bag takes a seat, the person responsible for the bag should pay full fare for it.
Navan Junction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2006, 11:11   #10
James Shields

Quote:
I've heard about this bags on seats stuff - it's unbelievable that IÉ let it go on. If a bag takes a seat, the person responsible for the bag should pay full fare for it.
I don't know - maybe I'm just naìve, but I don't see any harm in it when trains aren't busy. I bet if the train was a little emptier, you'd have liked to have had 4 seats around a table to yourselves. If there's an emptier seat it's handier to leave stuff next to you than hoist it onto the overhead racks. And, I gues, yes, people do like a pair of seats to stretch out on.

But I don't see any harm when the train isn't busy. I've never heard any objection when I've asked people "may I sit there?"

On busier trains, though, it would be a good idea to have a conductor walk through the train asking people to remove their bags from seats.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2006, 12:22   #11
Navan Junction
Really Regular Poster

Either do I if it's not busy. But you are talking suit cases ruck sacks etc.

Maybe I am naive but it just seems like bad form - we were one coach from the end by the time I asked could we sit there.

Just even in terms of people from abroad using the train. You shouldn't have to ask people to make room, stretching out aside etc..

It would make more sense to leave putting bags on seats until after everyone is on.
Navan Junction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2006, 13:47   #12
James Shields

Quote:
It would make more sense to leave putting bags on seats until after everyone is on.
Okay, I take your point there. I've done it myself, but only on very lightly used services. If you get on a train early and it looks deserted, it's understandable to stretch out. But if it's obvious that it's going to be packed five minutes before the train is departing, you shouldn't have to wait for people to ask you to move it.
Unread 06-03-2006, 10:07   #13
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Is this problem going to get worse with the CDE trains?

From what I've heard, they won't have space between the seats for luggage.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2006, 12:28   #14
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

That depends there appears to be some mini luggage rack between some seats but the airline style seating has this nasty side effect
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2006, 12:39   #15
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

On Saturday I was coming up with a mate, empty carriage and he put his coat down beside him. I asked him why and he sais he walways did it so no-one would sitbeside him.

Same as everyone else does, I guess.
Unread 07-03-2006, 13:00   #16
James Shields

I must admit I did it on the Enterprise last night - but the pair of seats opposite me were empty, and most sets of four seats had only two people sharing them.
Unread 07-03-2006, 13:14   #17
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

I usually fall asleep and sprawl myself!

Did we just say above that the MK4's are getting airline style seats?

No tables? I know I saw interior photo's of the mark 4's and I thoought there were tables.
Unread 07-03-2006, 14:12   #18
James Shields

Quote:
Did we just say above that the MK4's are getting airline style seats?
As far as I know there will be a mixture, though I don't know how many will be airline-style and how many will be grouped around tables. The Enterprise coaches are generally around 25% airline style and 75% around tables.
Unread 08-03-2006, 00:09   #19
Derek Wheeler

From quick observations last summer down the docks, the coach I was in had a lot of airline style seating. We've seen photos and they suggest the same. Originally the mk3s were the same and if im not mistaken IE gradually converted stock to table seating arrangement. Airline style seating is ok once you have adequate space and a fast journey. But god knows trains in Ireland have to be like hotels as journey times are prehistoric.

We can't really offer any decent opinion until we've gone on the darn things.

Airline style seating does pack them in though.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2006, 00:21   #20
sean

And we really won't know the story until the suspensions have worn in a little from being used 6 months to a year.
sean is offline   Reply With Quote