Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Sligo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-07-2009, 15:16   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default [8-7-2009] Sligo Line services

Am I dreaming ? Well they so nearly got it right, they have known about the problem for ages but it takes over 2 hours to get a notice up? And no link to the refund form

Quote:
8th July 2009, 16.00hrs

The 13.00 Sligo to Connolly service is delayed between Collooney and Ballymote due to a mechanical fault on the train. The train is 120 minutes late, and will be terminated at Boyle, from where passengers will be transferred by bus to Dublin.

Customers on the 11.05 Connolly to Sligo service were transferred by bus between Boyle and Sligo, and customers on the 15.00 Sligo to Dublin were transferred by bus from Sligo to Boyle.

Customers on the 13.00 Sligo to Connolly service will be entitled to refund vouchers for the full value of their journey.

Iarnród Éireann apologises for the inconvenience caused.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-08-2009, 13:02   #2
ThomasJ

And the Sligo mayor has been following up on this

From Sligo Champion
http://www.sligochampion.ie/news/may...s-1865264.html

Quote:
Mayor slams decision to 'lock'passengers in train for three hours
Wednesday August 19 2009

The Mayor of Sligo, Councillor Jim McGarry, has described a reply to a recent letter to Iarnrod Eireann relating to a breakdown of the Sligo Dublin train as "vague and unclear."

The Mayor wrote to the company following a three hour breakdown of the service on July 8th last.

He asked what caused the train to breakdown in the first instance, why it had taken three and a half hours to repair, what staff members were employed to deal with the mechanics of a train breakdown, how long it had taken to get the necessary staff to the train in order to repair it, why was the train not evacuated sooner, why were the doors not opened to give people air and relieve feelings ot claustrophobia, what customer services does Iarnrod Eireann provide in such instances and were there trained personnel on hand to explain the situation to customers in similar situations.

Councillor McGarry said he had received a reply from Mr. Paul Slowey, Customer Relations Manager (North/ Easter) Connolly.

"Unfortunately, his letter did little to ease my concern or answer my questions," said the Mayor.

"I was told the that the train broke down due to a fault in the electrical supply. The train driver attempted unsuccessfully to locate the fault, apparently being aided by maintenance staff who were in communication with him via phone and radio," he added.

Mr. Slowey told him that technical staff had also travelled to the train, but were unable to "work around" the unspecified fault.

He did not, however, state at any time where these staff had to travel from.

He was further told that passengers had to wait for carriages from the next Sligo bound train to haul the failed service to Boyle station.

"I am concerned by the vagueness which seems to be the theme of this letter. I have asked a number of direct questions in relation to regulations and contingency plans, yet, unfortunately, they have not been answered," the the Mayor continued.

In relation to his question about the train not being evacuated and leaving passengers locked into it for over three hours, he was told that it was decided not to let passengers out as they may have "jumped out leading to injury.

"I am totally shocked by this statement. It is simply not good enough to leave people sitting in a locked train for over three hours.

"One gentleman became so claustrophobic that he attempted to break a window. It is not as if the height from the body of the train to the tracks is dangerously high and weighted against the possibility of passengers becoming unwell or claustrophobic, I feel it would have been the sensible option," Clr. McGarry maintained.

In relation to his question regarding customer service/ security staff, the letter implied that the only Iarnrod Eireann personnel present on the train were the driver and the person who "sells the overpriced refreshments", refreshments which were in short supply during the three hour stoppage.

"Mr. Slowey concludes his letter by saying that passengers have the opportunity to have their tickets discounted as their journey was subject to delay.

"I, however, have major issues with this whole situation and I would like the General Manager of Iarnrod Eireann to answer my questions clearly.

"As Mayor of the town I am asking this on behalf of the passengers who were subjected to the ordeal on July 8th and also for the good of future passengers who wish to use this service.

"Another vague reply will not be tolerated. I would like all my questions answered clearly. The cost of a return ticket is nearly €45. People are paying for a safe and comfortable journey and that is what they should receive," the Mayor concluded.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-08-2009, 13:32   #3
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

Does the Mayor of Sligo think that passengers should have been allowed to jump down onto the track, and probably wander at will given that there were only 2 train crew to monitor them. And all without hight-viz jackets!

God save us from useless, grandstanding, pompus local politicians.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-08-2009, 13:36   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

If they had been within a 5 minute walk of a station it would be reasonable to use the emergency ladder and walk people back.

Otherwise its a sit and wait situation, the lights and ac should still have been working
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-09-2009, 17:47   #5
peterh
New to the board

Tis is a total disaster.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote